[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is FreeBSD for daily use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

How good is FreeBSD for daily use?
>>
OS X works fine with it.
>>
>even less games than linux
Unusable.
>>
>>59505030
>> /v/
You need to go back.
>>
>>59505011
What daily activities require you to interact with the parts that are different in Linux and FreeBSD?

If your device drivers are available in either of them and if you are only using a DE you wouldn't feel any difference.
>>
>>59505103
There is really no big difference at all? I'm asking because they really do looks similar but I know nothing about *BSD.
>>
>>59505177
They really look similar because the part that you can look at is usually a separate project, Linux distros and *BSDs take it from them. In reality the actual difference is how they manage the hardware which shouldn't matter that much for daily use if you can make sure your hardware is compatible.

Also repos and package management will be different too so check them out. If none of the things you like have been ported to FreeBSD you definitely shouldn't use it unless you want to compile everything in which case you should use Gentoo over anything really.
>>
>>59505011
It's dogshit.
>>
>>59505260
I see. I think I'll stick to Linux, then.
Thank you very much.
>>
File: ultra_xubuntu.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ultra_xubuntu.png
1MB, 1600x900px
What is FreeBSD? Whatever it is, Xubuntu is vastly superior to it. You contradict, you lose.
>>
>>59505011

use PCBSD desu
>>
I really see no reason to not just use a highly personalized version of an operating system like debian. You can do whatever you want in any distro if you modify it enough, theres no reason to use most distros, especially when most are just reskinned versions of ubuntu with various crap installed.
>>
>>59505011
It'll be as close to linux in the next decade
>>
>daily use

"Daily use" as what? "Daily use" for what?
>>
Pointless.
It ported Linux apps.
>>
>>59505011
If daily use = being a server, then it's pretty good.
>>
>>59507616
watching Korean claymations and posting on /g/
>>
>>59505011
FreeBSD is like Gentoo+Arch in linux world. Its actually great if your hardware supports it. Lacks some stuff i need that are available on linux... So i had to switch.

But also, it contains non-free software by default(like most of linux distros*kernel*) but... it also uses cuck license, BSD license actually allows everybody to take their code and do whatever they want with it without contributing or even donating small sum of money...

I used FreeBSD for longer time and i really liked tradition unix experience. But GNU/Linux is far more superior compared to FreeBSD.
>>
>>59505011
Been using it as a daily driver OS since 2001, it's fine.

>>59505057
>>>/v/ is what you mean.

>>59505892
So you don't know what it is, but you're capable of making a judgement call?

>>59505260
The difference between Linux distributions and the BSDs is the way that they're developed. Linux is a kernel where everyone's free to throw their own userland onto (in the process, making a distribution which can then be shared and compete with other distributions which have different userlands), whereas the BSDs are developed as an entire OS with a C compiler (FreeBSD is switching over to clang, NetBSD will continue to use GCC because of portability), a selection of editors, and - if you choose - a set of Makefiles called ports which describe over 27000 pieces of software that can be easily installed on FreeBSD (from which there are also binary packages made available through pkg tor tier1 architectures).

>>59507037
s/PCBSD/TrueOS/

>>59508306
mpv and firefox/chromium/opera are available in ports - and even if it isn't in ports, it can probably still be installed.

>>59508464
>cuck license
Nice meme. If OpenSSH wasn't BSD/ISC licensed, no company would integrate it and everyone would still be using rlogin and telnet - Which, considering https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20170317-cmp seems like a great idea if you're a fucking retard.
The BSD license is about developing good software and not getting sued - what the software gets used for matters not at all to people who use ISC, MIT or BSD licenses (or derivatives thereof).
>non-free software
That's purely because of the pragmatist approach thats fundemental to the BSDs in general. There's a long way between ideology and reality, and until there is a fully open-source hardware platform that's competitive, people will keep using closed-source software because it won't matter.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.