[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gaming server specs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1488114663963.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488114663963.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
I'm looking to rent a vps to run a small game server and maybe a small teamspeak/mumble. I want it just to play with friends. I'm interested mostly in classic games like quake, quake 3 arena or unreal tournament 2k4 or similar games for maximum 10 players... Of the newer ones maybe Reflex, Killing Floor and UT3 would be nice if they worked but not really necessary.

What kind of specs would be good considering I want to stay cheap? I found one really cheap with these specs 40GB SSD, 1GB RAM, 100Mb/s and Intel Xeon E7-4870 processors (could bump to 2 processors or 2GB of RAM and still be pretty cheap). Would that be good enough?
>>
>>59504676
Never hosted game servers but you probably need to figure out your spec needs first, ez way to to this could be to try and get the server running on local vms first to at least see how much ram you would need
>>
Check reviews on the company. Some of them offering really cheap deals are actually overselling and you end up with a sub par experience. Look up the deals with lowendbox.com. I am with ssdnodes and they are solid.
>>
>>59504676
Mate VPS means Virtual Private Server

As in they take a box then run a dozen different tasks off it, partitioning it so everyone gets X resources.

By one processor that means you get a single core of that E7-4870
>>
>>59504769
amount of cores is usully specified in price package
>>
>>59504803
Bad hosts will say processors not cores.
>>
>>59504958
oh well
anyways for op's use case wouldn't memory be more of a bottleneck ?
>>
>>59505001
Depends on the game, all the ones in OP should run fine. 2.4ghz Westmere cores. But if he decides to run something newer he's gonna have a fuckin problem.

Ironically, Mineman would qualify as newer here. That game is so ridiculously single threaded and SSD 4K random IO dependant it's not even funny.
>>
Just buy a server and run it from home. You'll get more out of it and it will be cheaper in the long run. I use to host a shitty halo ce server and game on the same rig. It was a p4 with maybe 512mb ram
>>
>>59504676
First of all ping their servers, VPS providers usually provide you with a general IP and a script to test your lag against their servers, anything over 600ms its bad, for games servers you want 200ms max at peak times.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.