[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer science or electrical engineering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: workstation-147953_960_720.png (267KB, 960x629px) Image search: [Google]
workstation-147953_960_720.png
267KB, 960x629px
Computer science or electrical engineering?
>>
Dick sucking class
>>
>>59504446
Economics (Supply and Demand)
>>
>>59504440
Women's Studies with Minors in African History and Underwater Basket Weaving.
>>
>>59504440
Why are you even comparing them? They're almost nothing alike.
>>
>>59504440
Apples or oranges?
>>
>>59504440

For you, Real Estate.

Apparently trump "university" has immediate openings. Get in on the ground floor before the pyramid collapses.
>>
EE if you want say goodbye to having free time
>>
File: 1482336698842.jpg (161KB, 792x907px) Image search: [Google]
1482336698842.jpg
161KB, 792x907px
>>
>>59504440
EE. CS is being pumped full of bootcamp grads.
>>
>>59504440
uhhh they're not at all alike

if you can't make this decision for yourself save yourself the time and money, you're not smart enough for either
>>
>>59504440
Computer science
>>
>>59504440
both, double major.
>>
>>59504440
Guys.
quicksort
>Divide: Partition the array A[p..r] into two subarrays A[p..q-1] and A[q+1..r] such thay each element of former partition is less than or equal to A[q] and each elements of later partition is greater than or equal to A[q].

>Conquer: Sort two subarrays by recursive call to quicksort

>Combine: Array is sorted in place

How many CS student will be able to write algorithm just from the above description and implement in any language for showcase?

Our Algorithm teacher first class was this. And nobody did the assignment in 50 mins class. He just sat there reading books.Next day he brags about how shitty our life styles are.

How many of you can do this, given you have forgotten the algorithm and last implementation you did?

What kind of skills do I need to master these kinds of problem i.e given description I make algorithm from scratch?
>>
>>59504440
Mathematics or Physics
>>
>>59504764
basically nobody can just make an algorithm in an hour from scratch

you read a lot, you absorb a lot of information, see a lot of patterns, understand the problems, and then you can start doing shit like that

not 'from scratch' -- that's the point of education, anon
>>
>>59504567
>he thinks anti-trump shilling will work on other boards other than /pol/
Face it, /g/ is /pol/'s technical outlet. We are the ones who need Free and secure software the most, so /g/ is the natural place to go for promoting opsec.
>>
>>59504809
Then what about Hoare, Einstein and other scientist, mathematicians and logicians that actually developed these things? How did they grow so smart?
Hoare developed quicksort when he was 26.
I am 24 but still not even close.
Tell me this is normal
>>
CE
>>
>>59504849
They didn't do any of that from scratch

Einstein spent his entire childhood studying calculus, and his contributions to physics are vastly overestimated in popular culture -- Poincare did a significant portion of the work (it's debatable how much Einstein plagiarized)

these people all stood on the shoulders of giants, anon
>>
>>59504550
Apples
>>
>>59504809
>basically nobody can just make an algorithm in an hour from scratch
This. The first time I designed a truly novel algorithm, it took me a few weeks. And I was about to give it up until I found inspiration from reading about the mathematics of elasticity and rubber bands of all things, which finally led me to get a foothold on how to implement my algorithm.
>>
fuk u
>>
>>59504902
>>59504890
Same guy. I found something that might be helpful.
You guys saw this before?

>https://uva.onlinejudge.org

Its has lots of problems to practice.
>>
>>59504550
Pomegranate
>>
>>59504996
Never saw this. Thanks, I will definitely be reading this.
>>
>>59504890
>and his contributions to physics are vastly overestimated in popular culture

Although I would say that his character as "le INTP mysterois smart man, his name? alby einschtein" is retarded, I think you are overlooking his contributions in photoelectricity, brownian motion, statistical mechanics, distinctions between bosons and fermions, etc., etc. His work in relativity (which composed a relatively [no pun intended] small portion of his work) is somewhat overplayed although I wasn't aware personally how much or if he "plagarized" any work.

Also reminder that Material Science & Engr >>> all other engineering majors. :^)))))
>>
>>59504809
>basically nobody can just make an algorithm in an hour from scratch
>the fuck am i reading???

The instructions are right there. If you know the basics of a language you should be able to do this in 50 minutes.

>>59504764
>How many of you can do this, given you have forgotten the algorithm and last implementation you did?

Easy.
>>
>>59505151
lol 200IQ poster detected: you're not making a novel algorithm *from scratch*

you're using years of computer science education to reimplement an idea that already exists (that was originally created by somebody else)

nice comprehension there anon
>>
>>59504567
bait
>>
>>59505186
>lol 200IQ poster detected: you're not making a novel algorithm *from scratch*
>quicksort with directions
>"novel"

This guy >>59504764 bitched about his first Algorithm class.
>Our Algorithm teacher first class was this.
>...write algorithm just from the above description...
>And nobody did the assignment in 50 mins class.

Were there NO computer programming courses before this one??? Because if you've had ANY exposure to a language, you should be able to follow those directions and get some sort of crude quicksort going.

If this was literally the first class the college had scheduled which involved any actual programming, then the professor fucked up. Otherwise it's a good first day to see if anyone was paying attention in prior classes.

Also: I've fucked around on several code competition sites. A lot of it is just understanding the problem so your code generates a correct answer, and sometimes tweaking your code for speed. (Or implementing a harder/faster approach once you realize the lazy approach won't cut it.)

But I've implemented 'novel' solutions in several of the challenges. Sometimes to great speed/memory advantage. It might be rare to come up with an algorithm which is both A) truly novel, and B) has wide general application (like quicksort), but only fuck if you're going to work as a programmer AT ALL and not be a fucking Pajeet you better be able to design your own algorithms for specific situations.
>>
Well i knew a computer science grad that was a huge left wing Bernie supporter so I'm assuming the pay is shit
>>
File: bc6.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bc6.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
>>59504440
computer engineering :^)
>>
>>59504440
I started with EE, in my university the focus was on power systems. I liked the math, but when the power systems started I loathe it. I was unhappy, and because I had some background in programming I switched to CS with a math minor and I like it.
Being hired, is something totally random, it requires connections, some personality, and skill it doesn't really matter which major you took. For example, my dad has a B.A. in english literature but worked as a grid technician for the local power company.
>>
desu CS and EE are brainlet fields just do math.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.