[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't I have a smart home with voice integration without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1473942218467.gif (206KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1473942218467.gif
206KB, 500x500px
Why can't I have a smart home with voice integration without perpetual connection to the internet?
>>
>>59504082
Because companies found out if they provide SaaS, then there's little chance of their IP being reverse engineered and/or re-implemented under a Free license.
>>
>>59504118
Why is there no open source alternative to Echo/Google Home?
>>
>>59504131
Because in the broad scope of things very few people actually give enough of a damn to care about their own privacy, let alone others, enough to implement those things. It takes a lot more engineering effort than you would first believe, especially designing and training the neural networks which run them (which by definition can't be open source since they are software is learned rather than written)
>>
>>59504082
Same reason most apps require a phone number to use, They want to keep the ISP monopolies alive for as long as possible.

They don't want you building a community mesh network, That's why the CIA/Google doesn't allow 802.11s to be used in android. They don't want you meshing phones together and creating your own off-grid cell networks.
>>
What are time servers?
>>
>>59504131
>>59504200
There is, it's been around longer than most. It's shit.
>>
File: mycroft.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mycroft.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>59504082
Actually i don't have a problem with internet connection being necessary for voice services in general under certain condition:
- That the terms of the application clearly states they only transmit the strictly necessary information to provide the service.
- That there's a way to actually check it's only recording when you explicitly want to send a command.
- That the information you send is anonymous and that it cannot be used to identify you.

Who knows, maybe one day...
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.