[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to pick out a laptop for school (game development)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I'm studying Games Interactive Media and Mobile. As I move further into the program it is beginning to become a pain in the ass using only my desktop and the lab computers for work.

I figured it might be time to invest in a good laptop. Dedicated GPU is probably a must for modeling and also running the games we make (we're making AR and VR games for some projects though I'm not at that point yet), and a higher end processor helps as always for building or really doing anything.

The laptop market is so massive and there are so many models I don't even know where to look. What are brands you guys recommend as far as the build quality goes? Something that will physically endure. On that note what are good bags/briefcases for carrying and protecting them? My current backpack doesn't have a dedicated spot to protect a laptop.

A laptop I was considering was the 2017 Dell Inspiron 7000 gaming. Across the web it seems the major complaint with it is the screen viewing angles.

Sorry for this long drawn out post, but please help me hone down a laptop out of all these damn choices, or point me in the direction of somewhere that can help me make my choice. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $1k give or take.

Thanks in advance.
>>
GTFO
>>
>>59503578
best bang for your buck.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Gaming-GeForce-VX5-591G-75RM/dp/B01N12YZ7B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490060864&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+vx+15
>>
Are there any laptops made of metal other than Macbook and Asus Zenbook?
>>
>>59503578
SSH FAGGOT
>>
>>59504174
dell xps machines are pretty snazzy.
>>
>game development

I'm not even going to bully you
I just really hope you know what the fuck you're doing
Statistically speaking, there's a massive chance you don't and you'll have bailed out of there by the 2 year mark if not sooner.
>>
>>59504356
I'm not very worried. I'm attending a real public research university not one of those bullshit TV universities like Full Sail or one of that nature. And it's not technically "game design" it's Games Interactive Media and Mobile, it seems like a relatively legitimate program to me. I've been intellectually challenged and already learned quite a bit, as well as published two mobile applications using Actionscript 3.0 and C#, working on my third.
>>
>>59504401
I guess publish isn't a good term. They're not publicly available yet. I'll have them on a portfolio website eventually though.
>>
The Lenovo y700 is a good option anon, try adding a ssd to the mix if you can afford it...
>>
>>59503578
>Dell inspiron 7000 gaming
Just bought one of those, will let you know if it's any good once it arrives.
>>
>>59504607
One of those moments where I wish 4chan had a PM system, but then it wouldn't be "anonymous" I guess. Maybe this board is slow enough to keep this thread alive.
>>
>>59504654
It's all good my man, just email me at [email protected].
>>
xps 15 if youve got the dosh
>>
>>59505983
Yeah I actually just caught wind of that and am strongly considering it now. Do you own one?
>>
>>59506054
i own an xps 13 because im not a gaymer manchild who should go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>59503618
>acer

>>59504174
Dell Lattitude E7000 series
Thinkpad
>>
>>59506162
better than the others, at least the screen isn't shit.
>>
>>59503578
I only trust Dells and Thinkpads tho

>>59503618
>acer

NO
>>
Memepad x220 replace hdd with ssd and install gentoo
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.