[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there any money in a cloud computing business?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1428473607376.gif (564KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1428473607376.gif
564KB, 200x200px
is there any money in a cloud computing business?
>>
>cloud storage is more secure than any setup you could have yourself anon
>fast forward 20 years
>government now owns every single bit of data that ever was
>>
Yes, unfortunately.

Also it's fascinating how "data stores on someone else server" became "cloud storage" in under a year, what was it for the last 20 years, chopped liver?
>>
>>59500503
They needed a fancy new term for normies to indicate that the "cloud" emcompass not only storage, but processing and software usage. Basically, they are laying the field for outright forbidding people to run computers on their own.
>>
I work for a cloud data centre. The whole company only has like eight people working there or something like that, and we get paid pretty low wages, although we charge clients a lot for very little work so someone is probably getting rich off it.

My last job was in a company that makes pensions software, and there was far more money in that company. We'd just have a room full of new computers, and if a computer broke and I couldn't fix it, I'd just give them a new one.
>>
>>59501168
would there be a lot of money in a computing server cluster where you rent out cores? what would the startup cost be? i was thinking about a bunch of xeon phis since they have so many cores each and support x86.
>>
I think of cloud computing as running virtual machines and servers on someone else's data center hardware

I don't really think of just offsite data storage as cloud computing
>>
>>59501168
what pension software called?
>>
>>59503139
>would there be a lot of money in a computing server cluster where you rent out cores?

Bro you will be competing with Amazon and Azure and they have low prices and proven reliability

I don't see a market for the small guy unless you are hosting shady services that dont log data for people using private trackers and hunting cp
>>
>>59503170
OP here.

that's what i meant. running a VM on my own servers. is there any need or demand though?
>>
>>59503202
>that's what i meant. running a VM on my own servers. is there any need or demand though?

huge need, huge demand, look at Amazon AWS

but the need and demand is for super super reliable machines, can you promise top tier uptime?

also your user interface should be good, go make an AWS account and see how theirs is, you could spend millions just on that
>>
>>59503193
>I don't see a market for the small guy unless you are hosting shady services that dont log data for people using private trackers and hunting cp

this is what the cock.li guy does, i bet he makes good money off it

shady as hell though
>>
>>59503222
damn i don't think i could obtain enough grants/investments to make it happen if it takes millions of dollars. i'm only an undergraduate student in software engineering but i wanted to plan a way to start my own business.

the reason i thought of getting a bunch of xeon phis and a virtual is because then the client can use w/e software they want and it's not just solely a render farm, but also a matlab farm for some research, a solidworks farm, a geant4 farm, and so on. thing is, how can i afford the xeon phis, make the interface, and market it?
>>
>>59503330
>thing is, how can i afford the xeon phis, make the interface, and market it?

you probably cant (if you have to ask)

Go create and Amazon AWS account, it's free and it's exactly what you are talking about. Practice spinning up some linux servers for free. Then ask yourself how much it would cost to try to compete with that, then look at amazon's prices. They can't be beat
>>
>>59503330
Just start a webhosting provider. Clients don't expect much and they never leave.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.