[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I have 14GB of available memory, and the total filesize of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 7826354642.jpg (23KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
7826354642.jpg
23KB, 350x350px
If I have 14GB of available memory, and the total filesize of the game I'm playing is only 8GB, why doesn't it just load the whole game on RAM?
Why isn't there an option for this, besides the inefficient use of a RAM Disk?
>>
>>59495517
Because it's more efficient not to. Virtual Memory is a thing, and it would take ages to read 8GB off the disk onto RAM.
>>
>>59495517
find /path/to/game -exec dd if={} of=/dev/null bs=1M

This reads all files contained in the directory, and in turn causes them to be cached by the kernel.
Just put it in the shell script that launches your game.
>>
>>59495517
the entire .EXE itself is mapped into RAM.
>>
>>59495654
Correction:
find /path/to/game -type f -exec dd if={} of=/dev/null bs=1M \;
>>
>>59495626
If an SSD has a read speed of 500MB/s, shouldn't it only take 16 seconds for an 8GB game to fully load to RAM?
That's about the load time of a modern game anyway.

>>59495660
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

>>59495655
The .exe is only a small part of most modern games though.
>>
>>59495788
Just use a ramdisk, also what if some of the files are compressed? you don't know for sure how big the entire game file is.

What's wrong with a ramdisk?
>>
>>59495807
It's an inefficient way of using your RAM. The game will see it as a standard drive, so it will move its files from one section of the memory to another when it needs to load them.

If a game requires 4GB of RAM + 8GB of storage, you will need at least 12GB of RAM.
If the game would load it's entire content onto the RAM from the start, it would only need 8GB, plus it wouldn't be needlessly moving data from one part of the RAM to another.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.