[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

extracting visual assets from shitty hidden object games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: GoldenDoor2.jpg (235KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
GoldenDoor2.jpg
235KB, 800x531px
to be clear from the start, i have zero knowledge or experience in what i want to do, and am really hoping there's a shortcut somewhere.

basically, my sister has always played these generic hidden object games - not even really games, given skill is minimal and success one-path-only. that said, i've noticed some of them have really nice art, in both backgrounds and item design. i wouldn't mind getting my hand on their art for my own nerdy-ass hobby, tabletop gaming.

i'd just take screenshots, but the ui and extraneous elements are often in the way, plus i don't actually want to slog through some mindless gameplay if i don't have to.

i did some looking around, but the stuff i found was all for distinctly more complicated games. i've got no idea if there's some sort of universal engine those games use, or a house one, but i'd wager the former. they seem very cookie-cutter. i've got a pile of .exe files sent over from my sister's collection.

tl;dr is there a convenient way to rip assets from exe files?
>>
>>59489045
you can extract the contents of exe files by using 7zip
>>
If a bunch of those games are from a common developer, their may be a common engine, you could try looking around in the game and documentation and stuff online to see what engine it is, and from that try to see if anyone's developed a resource extractor for whatever data format it uses. Otherwise you could try googling for various generic EXE resource extractors and using them to examine the various EXE or DLL files the games use. If the resources are encrypted or compressed there isn't much you can do (because distinguishing machine code from encrypted data is almost impossible without professional-quality tools), but if there's any images stored plainly in the binaries it shouldn't be too hard to extract it.
>>
>>59489072
tried it with a random game, got 'cannot open file as archive'.

>>59489114
did a little searching around, and it turns out they do seem to use individual engines per company - color me surprised.
>>
Try BitmapRip. It's a command line tool so you just drop an .exe file on it.

http://mark0.net/soft-bitmaprip-e.html
>>
File: BG.jpg (336KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
BG.jpg
336KB, 1366x768px
one of the games i was sent came in its own folder with all the assets neatly labeled and totally accessible, so i know it CAN be done, at least.

>>59489747
trying that next
>>
File: shot0008.jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot0008.jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
lmao im scuh a nerd 8) i play tabletop gaymes
>>
>>59489747
looked like it was going to work - extracted a shitload of image files - but they're all corrupted i think? pngs, jpegs, tifs, all coming up as unsupported and/or corrupted when i try to open them through a variety of programs.
>>
>>59489817
Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>59489817
if i didn't say it first someone would ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: spidertime.jpg (254KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
spidertime.jpg
254KB, 1024x680px
>>59489747
got it to work when extracting some files from an older game, so it's certainly a start. nothing of value from the newer stuff, though.
>>
>>59489045
>wipe a harddrive completly clean
>all 0s
>install only the shit object gaymes
>run photorec on harddrive
>sort though mountain of shit
>...
>profit
>....
>loose profit because of copy right infringement lawsuit

I recovered free space because I accidentally deleted 1 photo, I now have 90 gb of random as fuck pictures to sort though.. Im down to 30 gb and dont even remember what I was looking for.
Im seeing all kinds of shit, everything from half life scenes to gps road sign icons.
>>
>>59490735
what profit could you get beyond making more shitty hidden object games?

also pretty goddamn rich they'd sue for copyright infringement, considering i'd be very surprised they've payed the royalties for all the shit they photobash.
>>
>>59489866
>every thread this autist makes this exact comment
Gook wife getting you down?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.