[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Privacy versus convenience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: nsa-spying-logo.png (109KB, 243x246px) Image search: [Google]
nsa-spying-logo.png
109KB, 243x246px
Is the pursuit of absolute privacy really worth it? Even if you manage to cut out all proprietary, spying garbage out of your life, you still rely on your hardware not being backdoored. So it could still all be for naught.

Aside from that, though. If you're genuinely not doing anything illegal, is it really worth giving up the convenience of turning a blind eye for a murky sense of privacy that, if working correctly, you will never feel the benefits of (since the benefits are things staying as they are, things staying as the status quo)?

Is it better to just say fuck it and let companies pillage your unimportant data so you can get on with your life and take advantage of the services they offer in exchange?
>>
Depends on how much value you put on your privacy. A lot of people don't care, but I do
>>
File: mfw.png (114KB, 310x302px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
114KB, 310x302px
>there's people that believe shit like this

give me freedom or give me death, motherfucker
>>
The problem here is how one defines 'unimportant'.

What you consider 'unimportant' can, and is, used to generate a very detailed profile of you.
>>
>>59484203
>Is the pursuit of absolute privacy really worth it?
You're thinking about this wrong. A lot of people have this view that privacy is either zero or absolute, with nothing in between. This is false, because not every adversary is a three-letter agency with an unlimited budget and an interest in you specifically. Privacy is a sliding scale. Google won't infect you with management-engine malware to collect data for its ad servers.

There's also value in increasing the costs to your adversary. The NSA liked the days where TLS was uncommon and they could just put some gear in ISPs networking cabinets and listen in. Widespread encryption means they have to go to a lot more trouble, and the more trouble they have to go to, the less they can afford to just collect everything all the time. You've gained privacy even though they can still breach your defenses, just because you've made it too difficult and costly for them to bother doing so.

> If you're genuinely not doing anything illegal,
a.) literally everyone is doing something illegal.
b.) you don't decide whats illegal. Someone else does. That someone may be malicious.

>is it really worth giving up the convenience of turning a blind eye for a murky sense of privacy that, if working correctly, you will never feel the benefits of
idk about you, but for me, peace of mind is a big benefit. I like knowing that the latest creepy thing Google or Facebook is doing probably won't work on me.

>Is it better to just say fuck it and let companies pillage your unimportant data so you can get on with your life and take advantage of the services they offer in exchange?
Again, I don't know about you, but I'd rather be a customer than a product being sold. Also avoiding botnet services avoids the possibility of being stranded. They can and do shut those services down or kick you off of them if you're insufficiently useful to their marketing department.
>>
>>59484203
>Is the pursuit of absolute privacy really worth it?
Yes. I don't care for convenience, in fact, a harder learning curve weeds out morons that shouldn't be using the services.
>>
If people had said this in the 70s through the 90s we wouldn't be where we are. We need more stubborn motherfuckers like rms.
>>
>>59484203
You bet your ass it's worth it, do you really think with all the ad data and information you and normies throw out into facebook and twitter and the other crap is going to be merely used for ads? think again dumbass, if a government has the power to do something with no repercussions and great benefit to themselves, they'll do it, it will be abused and it is abused.
>>
To this day, not a single terrorist activity has been prevented by outlawing encryption or cyber spying.

Deal with it.
>>
>>59484203
It's worth fighting for privacy. In the meantime keep your shady business off digital record
>>
>>59487473
This

At best, you'll develop a highly-sophisticated AI that can predict their behavior and manage to intercept a handful of terrorists before they commit the crime. That's fucking great, right?

Except that it's not. The terrorists will simply Russia it and switch to papers, just like the russian military is spooked by CIA and transmit all their critical stuff via paper. What's the effect of you yielding your core right of privacy for those handful of terrorists tho? You just let the government build a full and accurate profile of all of its citizens that will be stored permanently somewhere, and most likely used against a lot of the population in a future unrest. And that law will never be repealed, giving them permanent surveillance over your entire life.

Every claim where a politician claims that it's really to prevent terrorism is false. Being able to keep a fully detailed database of your citizen's desires and opinions allows you to pass absolutely everything, as you can use advanced propaganda to rebrand it in exactly the style they'd accept it. And that thing you just fucked up? No worries my friend, the AI here noticed a huge spike in disapproval of your government tied to the key words of your fuckup, and now that you're aware of this, you can just order the media to instantly cover it up and go stealth mode. No impeachments, no dissent, ever-increasing authoritarianism - that's the effects of allowing them to datamine your honest views.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.