[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux is stagnant.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

File: Cortana.png (83KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
Cortana.png
83KB, 650x300px
When was the last time that new user features were added to the Linux desktop? Since I started using Windows 10, we have gotten Cortana, WSL, OneDrive improvements, Office 365 etc. Ubuntu has no voice assistant AI, no native cloud integration, and no office cloud.
>>
>>59480331
>Linux
>Operating System
>>
>>59480372
>Says Ubuntu in OP
>you can't read
>>
>>59480331
>no voice assistant AI
why would I want someone spying on me? I'm at a computer, this isn't a phone. Typing it out will always be faster.
>WSL
gimped and still limited, but if you want to play that card we have powershell god forbid anyone wanted it
>Office 365
website?
>no native cloud integration
what integration do you need? Storage? SSHFS is ezmodo personal remote storage, almost anything you want you could just have located there.
>no office cloud
I can store my files on my server, that's all I need. Anyone can go on some web based word processor though.

There are regularly added features but it's not necessarily something that directly changes the user experience from a gui perspective.

If we want to talk about developmental stagnation lets talk windows filesystems, nothing like 15 year old shitty file systems
>>
>>59480331
>Ubuntu has no voice assistant AI, no native cloud integration, and no office cloud.
good
>>
>>59480331
>Cortana,
Botnet
>WSL,
Literally what
>OneDrive
Botnet
>Office 365
Botnet
>>
>>59480489
>I can store my files on my server
This attitude is why productive normies like me will never use your OS as our daily driver.
>>
>>59480502
This
>>
I like Windows but all of those "features" are real bad
>>
>>59480331
>Cortana, WSL, OneDrive improvements, Office 365
Thin sugarcoat on shit.
>>
>>59480573
At least Microsoft is trying.
>>
>>59480331
Currently working on a CoreOS project, please tell me more how Linux is stagnant.

Also, I don't have anything against Windows but those 'features' are lame and I wouldn't call them improvements at all.
>>
>>59480766
Isn't CoreOS some server shit? I don't care about your million little projects and side splinters that amount to nothing.
>>
>>59480734
You're the guy that thinks Gnome 3 is an improvement.
>>
>>59480785
>some server shit
>Blizzard is one of our top clients

Ugh, this board really went to shit in the past few years.
>>
>>59480808
It's container shit for servers.

Why the hell does anyone use you when Docker exists?
>>
>>59480842
Ask Blizzard and eBay

:^)
>>
>>59480331
>When was the last time that new user features were added to the Linux desktop?
Every fuckin' day?
If you're bleeding edge.

Wine is now on 2.4 and it can run some DX11 games now.
Rev up those backports.
>>
>>59480868
You got pwnd, bitch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepes/2015/06/24/the-container-format-wars-are-over-docker-won-but-coreos-didnt-necessarily-lose/#71c1be9f2e05

Why don't you work at Docker? GPA too low?

>>59480900

Wine is over a decade old.
>>
>>59480331
>Ubuntu has no voice assistant AI, no native cloud integration, and no office cloud.
This has got to be a joke.
>>
>>59480915
>windows is over 2 decades old
>>
>>59480915
>2015
>Forbes
>legit source

How sad are you at the moment? What is going on with your life anon?

It will get better :)
>>
>>59480331
>Cortana

Do people use that?

Can people honestly tell me that searching using the browser is slower than having yourself tell something to a bot and then it having to decipher it to you and then open the browser?(which will only use bing btw)

Also we have free software A.I. doing the same thing and more(controlling the house ) i believe it was called mycroft or some shit like that

>wsl

You had cygwin for years

And we got PowerShell but no one uses it because it's useless

>Onedrive improvements

Are you the one uploading terabytes of files in order to have them stop unlimited space

We have a lot of third party clients doing the same thing

Also use the browser. You won't need to install useless bloat

>office365

That shit is not even included in windows and that would also mean OSX had is the same to windows (since it has this plus all the other shit)

It costs way too much for a year (BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE A SERVICE AND NOT A PRODUCT) and has become metro shit.

Ms Office 07 works perfectly on wine

And libreoffice is better than office2016
>>
>>59480734
>At least Microsoft is trying

Yes "trying" to become even more more horrible than they already are.
Their future business model is them (and the NSA and everybody else) having everything, including all your shit and you paying them the access it.

> Why have your own computer when you can rent ours?

It's convenient in some ways and idiots may think it's great but it's the road to a very dark future.
>>
>>59480945
I'm an interning undergrad.

>>59480951
You seem triggered.
>>
>>59480961
Like I said it will get better, no need to be bitter at that age.

Whatcha working on? Windows administration, help desk?
>>
>>59480951
Everything you said is true except
>And libreoffice is better than office2016

The problem with office is that it's better than any alternative, especially when it comes to stuff like reference managing.
>>
>>59480991
local healthcare stuff

not giving details because you're butthurt enough to try to doxx me
>>
>>59480961
(second guy)
What? No! I may be drunk but i am not triggered.

Also how did you read all that i wrote so quickly? O.o
>>
>>59480331
You either don't understand how Linux works or you're baiting
>>
>>59481008
Why the heck would I be butt-hurt?

I was genuinely interested why would a young guy be so bitter but talking to all those old ladies regarding their forgotten passwords and trivial bullshit could be a reason.

All the best in your Windows carrier anon, try to be less of a cunt in the future.
>>
>>59480993
Does it need the metro shit? Can't people just use 07? It also supports the latest file format from microsoft.

I personally have no reason to buy the same service each year

If the service costed more but lasted forever i would support 2016(minus the metro part)
>>
>>59481059
I don't develop for Windows.

>>59481043
Bit of both desu.
>>
>>59481071
Oh yeah I mean office 2007 till 2016 are literally the same and you can disable the metro stuff upon install with some workaround.

But what I'm saying is that (unfortunately) there is no replacement for MS office (yet?)

But seeing how they basically stopped developing from 07 and only adding bloat and botnets as features it's only a matter of time until libre catches up
>>
>>59481107
As far as i know libre office has 95% support of the windows file format

I have no idea how they count that
>>
FOR YOU OP
>>
>>59480993
>Reference managing
>Tfw brainlets don't learn bib
>>
>>59480331
>no native cloud integration, and no office cloud

You realise that there's a plethora of both virtual and physical file systems designed for network attach, right?

>WSL

Literally a fucking meme. It'll NEVER be equivalent to a full *nix environment.

Also, uhh, Wine? Particularly since DX11 is coming along in it, which I'd regard as a "user feature".

>Cortana

Don't want.
>>
>>59483188
>>59480331

Also, if we're going by features that an OS lacks, where's my new filesystem? NTFS is 15 years old. And where the fuck are my cgroups? Oh right, it's Windows :^)
>>
>>59480331
>Voice assistant
>Cloud support
Yuck
>>
P B
R O G
C O R T A N A
P N R
R E B
I T A
E G
T E
A
R
Y
>>
OP all the features you mentioned are cloud-based features. That's not "more advanced", it's a different philosophy entirely.

Linux users are more likely to value personal ownership over their files and data, and collective ownership over the software they all benefit from.

Microsoft cloud technology is about centralized data owned by, well, Microsoft, and proprietary source code that you just have to "trust" (although their recent open source pushes are commendable).
>>
>>59480331

>Cortana
Sirius, Jasper, Mycroft
>WSL
Ever heard of Wine?
>OneDrive
Shouldnt be part of an OS in the First place, but if you want use OwnCloud
>Office 365
Libreoffice got a Ribbon menu now i think

The thing about Linux is that there is no default Distro, new Stuff gets added everyday with Programs that you can install.
It isnt like in Windows where they force these "Features" onto you and since most People dont need them the Major Distros dont put them in.
Linux gets new Stuff when People want Stuff, not when some Company decides that they get stuff
>>
>>59480331
But Op, Cortana, OneDrive and cloud based shitware was precisely the reason I ditched Windows.
>>
>>59483236
I sure hope you don't own a cellphone then.
>>
>>59483786
Street shitters deserve the rope, fucking pest.
>>
>>59483286
o proprietary cortana and what else is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>59483653
>Linux gets new Stuff when People want Stuff, not when some Company decides that they get stuff

Wrong.

Linux gets stuff when someone actually puts some work into it. I had to wait 3 fucking years for sound drivers for some PCI sound card a few years ago. I didn't get them right when I wanted them.

Also it assumes everyone is a fucking programmer so it's more like "oh, don't have what you were looking for? Don't worry, you can make it yourself! I'm sure your time is worth nothing at all!"
>>
>>59483942
>it assumes everyone is a fucking programmer
I don't see the problem with that, people who can't program are on equal foot as illiterates in the past century.
>>
>>59483653
>Linux gets new Stuff when People want Stuff, not when some Company decides that they get stuff

What is systemd for 300 Alex?
>>
>>59484041
>What is systemd
a gift u ungrateful fuck
>>
>>59483942
"programming is so harddd"

use windows then nub.
>>
>>59484078
Like Cortana? It's all relative. Some will hate the new others will like it.
>>
>>59484008
It's not a matter of how hard is it to program, it's more like the time wasted on it. I'm going to assume that's either your job or some of that rent is being paid by mom.
>>
>>59480331
>Cortana
9000 wpm. your voice input is shit
also that wake up feature listens to you 24/7
>WSL
more attack vectors (evil grin)
>OneDrive improvements
jokes on you. onedrive is one of the most sophisticated botnet in windows right now.
>syncs all the passwords to onedrive for remote management
>onedrive impaired but test box leaking GiBs of information while idle
>Office 365 etc.
unless you still work on paperworks
>native cloud integration
yeah, it's not even that secure and my fellow hackers can access all your family pictures and mp3 files
>and no office cloud.
private git or btfo
>>
>>59480331
>Cortana
Stop reading right there? Cortana is NOTHING but a glorified google voice search
>>
>>59484008
>thinks everyones time is worth nothing so they should take out time to program a driver for a random fucking PCI to work on Linux
when you get out of your dad's basement you'll see how stupid your comment is you privileged bitch
>>
>>59484182
>my fellow hackers
this is a fun larp
>>
>>59480331
All the things you talk about as good are the reason I don't use windows 10. It's a matter of taste and your taste is wrong
>>
>>59483882
It means 4chan filtered the mongolian vowel separator.
>>
>>59480331
Who the fuck wants to use Cotana, OneDrive, Office?

> no native cloud integration
there is no cloud.
just someone else's computer
>>
>>59480993
Reference managing? Mendeley works just fine on windows and linux, office and libreoffice.
>>
>>59484642
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    then repost it with code tags
>>
>>59480561
And should we care bacause?
>>
>>59480331
>voice assistant AI
true
> no native cloud integration
that would be retarded, but we have rsync

> no office cloud
see nextcloud
>>
>>59480331
>ubuntu = linux
Try again Pajeet. Why are Pajeets pushing Windows 10 on this board still?

None of us use it.
>>
>>59480561
>productive normies like me
Listen, Pajeet, shilling Windows 10 on /g/ isn't "productive."

Also most Linux (or BSd for that matter) users don't give a fuck if you want to stay with botnetOS. That's your problem, not ours.
>>
>>59480502
/thread
>>
>>59480915
>trusting Forbes
>the "business" magazine that told us Hillary had a 99.99% chance of winning
>same magazine told us Windows 10 was the most secure OS ***EVER***
Yeah sorry, if Forbes claims something to be true, you can bet money it isn't.
>>
>>59480331
I wish Microsoft would just get Windows to stop this shit. You know the thing that has been around forever.

Literally 20 minutes ago.
>>
>>59480331
I used mint in 2015.
It had too many shitty issues compared to Windows. Haven't looked back since.
>>
>>59483942
>I had to wait 3 fucking years for sound drivers for some PCI sound card a few years ago. I didn't get them right when I wanted them.
Did you complain to the manufacturer of the driver that is responsible for providing you the drivers?

Can you tell me how the fuck did you came to the conclusion that it's somehow fault of Linux because god I cannot fathom why anyone with enough brainpower to put words into sentences would think that?
>>
>>59486393
Windows doesn't driver problems.
How about that?
>>
>>59483942
>I had to wait
LOL
>buy hardware without Linux support
>complain
I'm trying to run Windows 10 on my Raspberry Pi, it's not working, should I get autistically peeved like you?
>>
>>59480502
/thread
>>
File: ads.png (270KB, 1189x723px) Image search: [Google]
ads.png
270KB, 1189x723px
>>59480331 (OP)
This is the weakest argument yet by the poo's.

Hey, did you hear of the latest Win10 feature, besides all its spying capabilities, Microsft PUT MOTHERFUCKING COMMERCIAL ADS INTO THEIR FILE EXPLORER.

This is what we get for handing over our tech companies to 3rd world slave labor.
>>
File: nn.jpg (74KB, 427x475px) Image search: [Google]
nn.jpg
74KB, 427x475px
>>59480900
>Every fuckin' day?
Yet it can't even show picture thumbnails
>>
IMO the GNU/Linux world is becoming about 50% privacy and 50% economy. Like you use whatever distro you use because you either want to do shit privately or because you're a cheap individual or a business looking to keep costs within reason.

Neither of those groups care about voice assistant AI (AKA corporate and state spying) and cloud shit.
>>
>>59480331
I would only agree to a voice assistant if it was 100% offline. Since they're exclusively cloud based it really doesn't matter if Linux also doesn't have an offline voice assistant.
Don't gnome, zorin and the peppermint Linux have some kind of bullshit cloud integration?
>>
Okay linuxfags, amuse me.
For a normalfag student, who always buys notebooks that already come with windows, what's the point of moving to linux? What do they gain in changing their OS?
What features are in linux are available for those who aren't arch-wizards in the arts of GNU+Linux?
None?
>>
>>59488340
There is no advantage for normalfags. You have to be, at minimum, a wizard in training, to see the advantages of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 840574357df7.jpg (68KB, 728x819px) Image search: [Google]
840574357df7.jpg
68KB, 728x819px
>>59480331
>When was the last time that new user features were added to the Linux desktop? Since I started using Windows 10, we have gotten Cortana, WSL, OneDrive improvements, Office 365 etc. Ubuntu has no voice assistant AI, no native cloud integration, and no office cloud.
This is bait.
>>
>>59488340
If you're happy with your gaymen botnet we really don't care. If you want to know why a Free Software Unix-alike is better, there is plenty of literature available which describes why already.

Unless you're prepared to not be retarded it might be too hard for you, so better not try.
>>
>>59488340
There really aren't any magical things that make your life easier for the average user. I've used Windows happily until I had to replace my hard drive and now I use Linux without having to do much adapting. I'm not into doing stuff with the command line and modifying the system so I just use it exactly like I did when I was running Windows. The only immediate advantages I can think of is not being spied on and fed ads in Windows 10 which I personally think is a major plus and since it has a much smaller marketshare you're less iikely to get viruses. So no, unless you're particularly concerned about privacy and security then there is no reason for an average consumer to switch.
>>
I like cortana
She's my friend
she said there was a spark between us
>>
>>59488936
At this rate you will die alone.
>>
>>59480331
>no voice assistant AI, no native cloud integration, and no office cloud
but those are positive aspects, anon
>>
When was the last time new user features were added to your brain?
>>
File: laevitas.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
laevitas.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>59489307
Last time I learned something.
>>
>>59480331
>calling botnet a feature
>>
>>59480331
Shut up nigger
>>
>>59480331
>the Linux desktop
What desktop environment are you talking about? There are dozens of them. There is no single desktop for GNU/Linux unless you count Gnome, which is crap anyways. Be specific, you shit for brains shill.

>I started using Windows 10
Retard.

>Ubuntu
Retard.

no voice assistant AI
Literally useless. There is not a single fucking useful thing you can do with these stupid toys that isn't just as easy to do with two taps or clicks.

>no native cloud integration
Why would you want it? Are you too poor for extra hard drives or something? Why don't you have a home server? If you're that much of a normalfag, just use Dropbox or whatever through the browser. Not everything needs it's own shitty useless client that runs in the background and eats resources. Again, you're retarded.

>no office cloud
Except that's wrong, since distros like Peppermint have seamless integration with Google office stuff. As I state above, it's redundant and stupid because it works just as well through the browser.

POO
IN
THE
LOO
>>
>>59480331
hi cortana
i'm dad
>>
>linux desktop
who gives a shit? Nobody wants this.

Linux on the server is progressing nicely. Kernel continues to receive meaningful updates, as do mysql/mariadb, nginx, postfix, dovecot, openssh, etc.

Linux as a development platform is progressing nicely too. GNU Compiler Collection and other build tools continue to receive updates, etc.

Really the only people who care about linux on the desktop are Valve. They need to hedge against microsoft doing stupid shit, but developers and users won't adopt steamos until the display stack isn't full retard.
>>
>>59480331
>cortana
>not an info collecting scheme
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.