[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>maintainers delete the beginner guide just so they can feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 44

File: balfasz.png (66KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
balfasz.png
66KB, 1200x899px
>maintainers delete the beginner guide just so they can feel better about their worthless secret club
cant make this shit up
>>
File: anecdotalevidence.jpg (11KB, 328x277px) Image search: [Google]
anecdotalevidence.jpg
11KB, 328x277px
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

???
>>
bulk of the userbase probably couldn't install it now lmao
>>
>>59476593
If anyone finds >>59476564 this difficult they shouldn't be operating a computer. Installing Arch took me 15 minutes the first time I did so. The longest part was waiting for downloads and updates.
>>
>>59476702
You are utterly delusional
>>
>>59477029
You are utterly retarded.
>>
>>59476045
It's not even a secret club, if the new guide is actually difficult for you, you're retarded. Installing Arch literally only requires comprehension in a language that the wiki is translated to.
>>
File: 1lozoe.jpg (127KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
1lozoe.jpg
127KB, 500x666px
Arch linux is fucking stupid, the first part of the guide is manatory, why the fuck dont they just give you a ncurses next->next->next for the first bit
>>
>>59476702
only 15 minutes versus 5 for anything else without having to do any psuedo dropout "learning"

>>59478788
But that would defeat the entire point which is to keep everyone out. in the future the installer will come encrypted and with its own test which will be the only way to unencrypt it and you have to suck some guy's irc OP nick off to get in and they'll justify this by calling it "learning"
>>
>>59478851
probaly have to construct a 1 line command using awk, grep, sed and a turkish dictionary to write anime haiku about dev team to get in
>>
>>59478851
As I said the longest part of it was downloading/updating packages, which was ~ 500MB and took 10 minutes because of my shitty internet. It takes just as long to install Ubuntu/Debian for the same reason.

You won't learn anything by installing Arch, or any OS for that matter, aside from Gentoo. It's about functionality, and Arch is very powerful, fast and customisable. I've been using it for a couple of months now with 0 fuckups and the one time I did have to manually compile something was a custom mptcp kernel and that took < 30 minutes. I don't understand why people are saying Arch is a meme-distro by people with no time. It only requires time if you're a faggot and like to rice weeb shit into everything, but the same can be said for every other distro.
>>
>>59478788
There is an installer for arch, I can't remember the name exactly.
>>
>>59478979
Logic works like this:

Arch / dropout distros have a chance to have a fuckup "but if you're pro and waste your time" you can bring this number down to 0.
Ubuntu / everything else always have 0 fuckups.

Purposefully removing core elements of automated distros due to autism, failing to use the package manager for faux-reasons like "it's a 30 minute old package", and then they "break" doesn't count

There is nothing left besides your hipster / special snowflake boiling to the top and thinking you "need" to do this. It's just about being different and has nothing to do with technology.
>>
>>59479029
I call this "quantum arch installer autism"

-Say that arch is too hard to install, it's "there are installers out there"
-Use an installer, it's "only noobs use installers"

If an arch user says either of these things it's fine so the conversation is one way
>>
File: 1488590488713.jpg (289KB, 1968x1312px) Image search: [Google]
1488590488713.jpg
289KB, 1968x1312px
>>59479029
but if you use that you, why not just use debian? Arch linux is fucking insane, checking the wiki and front page before updating to make sure the devs havent fucked something up again.
"we are a rolling cutting edge distro! so these things happen" no!! do some quality control audits you fuckers.
>>
>>59479076
>faux-reasons like "it's a 30 minute old package"
kek, but muh bleeding edge!
>>
>>59479096
>>59479110
I use Ubuntu, why would anyone use Arch ever except as an autistic hobby? Just saying, an installer does exist.
>>
Arch is a joke distro which is made for schoolkids to learn CLI, that's why it has only minimal installer, Arch has no real use in production. Production level distros have such minimal installers, for example Ubuntu Core or Debootstrap.
>>
File: IMG_-xoe15y.jpg (64KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_-xoe15y.jpg
64KB, 396x594px
Why would you use arch linux if you're not a developer?

tfw too stupid to install arch but just stupid enough to post about it on /g/
>>
>>59479029
>>59479138
It's called evolution if anyone is wondering.
>>
>>59479076
0 fuckups meant 0 errors. I haven't had to fix anything since it just werks.

I don't like Arch because it's different, I like it because it's powerful, customisable and pacman is definitely superior to apt in terms of speed, and contrary to what you said is much simpler.

Also, everything goes through rigorous testing before being publicized. The only reason it's "bleeding edge" is because the devs aren't lazy niggers and probably get a stiffy every time they update something.
>>
>>59479219
Every minimal installer is 'powerful' and 'customisable', schoolkids just don't know about minimal installers.
>>
>>59479138
I'm also "just saying". you get recommended one but if you actually do it, it's just something else, you can't win which is why I call it quantum bullshit. All of this should come across as a massive red flag to anyone in the private sector. The whole automation versus manual control argument was relevant 15 years ago, now a C2D laptop is $20.

linux is irrelevant except for its ability to be a host and run business apps, if you have to do "maintenance", you've completely failed. The hardest reason why it's so hard to explain to any arch sperg why timesinking is suicide tier is because they have absolutely no concept between 15 minutes, and 15 days. It's all just "a quantity of time" to them. This is important because even if the claim of 4-8% improvement of speed exists, you're completely ignoring the weeks it took to get there versus something that was ready to go in 5 minutes. But what is a minute, or a day, or a month, when you've been circlejerking your life away in IRC for decades.
>>
>>59479219
and apt is definitely superior to pacman in terms of speed, and contrary to what you said is much simpler.

>Also, everything goes through rigorous testing
That's why no one except amateurs use it in production.
>>
>>59479219
>Arch because it's different
How? Besides the absence of an installer obviously.

>I like it because it's powerful, customisable
How is it any more powerful or customizable than literally any other distro though?

>and pacman is definitely superior
This is simply your opinion, all package managers do the same fucking thing.
>>
The autism of the arch community against an installer is staggering. I have installed arch several times, it's not complicated and you don't really learn much besides figuring out which packages you need to do X. It's just tedious. Anybody who isn't completely stupid, can read the wiki and use Google can install arch.

Using arch however, is extremely comfortable, especially due to the aur. Lots of the scientific stuff I use for work I would have to get from ppas or install manually in Ubuntu. And every time there is a version upgrade everything breaks. Not sure if this has gotten better, but arch is stable for me in comparison.

However, I have recently used antergos to just skip the annoying install process. Are there any good arch installers that are preferable? Last I checked there weren't any which were remotely usable.
>>
>>59479304
>can't prove me wrong so claims nonsensical things

>>59479347
It's my opinion like you said. All distros do pretty much the same thing, but I just prefer pacman because it's really simple and fast, and from personal experience I've had to use dpkg/manually compile shit in Ubuntu/Debian more frequently than I've had to use makepkg in Arch. Besides, I like keeping things up to date, or "bleeding edge".
>>
>>59479387
>annoying install process
You type like 5 commands
>>
>>59479511
Right, so you agree arch is not more powerful or customizable than any other distro?
>>
>>59476045
In fairness, the beginner guide was a mess could have used streamlining. But the new guide does reek of some elitism since it gets rid of most of the spoonfeeding.
>>
File: 561af954e4b0357b729aba53.jpg (47KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
561af954e4b0357b729aba53.jpg
47KB, 800x582px
Pretty much everyone outside the Arch community hates the Arch community in a mob-like fashion.
Now tell me why should the Arch community cater to those outside it??
>>
>>59478788
There are numerous options that can be done for the first part of the installation especially if you are doing something really esoteric like I did. I have a self-signed GRUB bootloader with an encrypted boot partition with the encryption keyfile to my root partition embeded in initramfs which subsequently contains the keyfiles for my BTRFS external hard drive which contains my optional home partition with a fallback option to load my home partition from my mirror of it on a NFSv4 server I have set up to be accessible on WAN over an encrypted VPN connection. I also have a lot of special kernel options like compressed RAM when it gets to the last 25% of free memory.

Arch is good if you've got specialized and esoteric setups.
>>
>>59479548
versus 0 on anything else

>>59479612
private clubs and circlejerks are indeed perfectly fine until you start bleating to everyone else that it's the best because you are only making more newcomers turn into journalists from 2004 who will forever think linux is stuck in this year. If you would stay quiet, or actually bar people from entering, then this would work out. But we know you won't do this because it's the only form of socializing you have left.
>>
Why does the mere existance of Arch trigger people so hard? You can't even mention Arch here without people sperging out about "timesink OS" and "hurr everything's unstable, I use my OS for REAL WORK!" Meanwhile stuff like Gentoo is praised even though it's arguable even more of a waste of time. I just don't understand why people get so angru about Arch. You realize no one's pointing a gun at your head and making you use it right?
>>
>>59479585
You can do the same thing in any other distro, it's just genuinely easier in Arch.
>never had broken packages
>never had dependency issues
>rarely have to manually compile something
Unlike Ubuntu/Debian where something seems to break every 5 minutes or I have dependency issues up my ass. I'm beginning to think anyone who claims the opposite has actually used Arch.

>>59479636
>versus 0 on anything else
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>59479548
And then spend the next two hours figuring out which packages you need to get your desktop environment configured and working properly. I'm not illiterate and I don't give two shits about ricing. I just want arch working out of the box.
>>
>>59479656
Then install Antergos, no one's making you install Arch. Again, why should Arch cater to people who hate it and want to fundamentally change how it works?
>>
>>59478979
Updating packages is much faster if you use the delta repos.
>>
File: 1461955645096.jpg (32KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
1461955645096.jpg
32KB, 400x389px
>>59476045
>mfw my arch box is several years old
>mfw i don't even remember how to install arch and I don't give a fuck about it

>not writing a install script for your specific custom arch install
>installing arch more than once

>mfw I realize the retards that bitch about arch couldn't make even one working installation, because that's all it takes to have a fully functioning rolling release distro

I want brainlets to leave /g/
>>
>>59479656
pacman -S sddm plasma
systemctl enable sddm

Just saved you 2 hours apparently.
>>
>>59479636
It's not about being private or a circlejerk at all! It's not about barring people from entering.
Arch is free and the community is open (and it's not like there's a secret hideout anyway).

It's about not giving a fuck to the mindless Arch haters, which, as of these times, is the vast majority of the "beginners".
So why should it have to spoonfeed beginners down to every little detail only to have them find something to whine about and increase the hate on the ~hate train~?

Arch Linux is a great OS and that's why I treat it as so and give it the praise it deserves.
>>
>>59479710
Oops forgot a vital command
systemctl start sddm

This will save you a reboot. Or was that too difficult?
>>
>>59479682
Don't hate, I've been using it for years. Pretending everything is perfect is not a great response to constructive critique.

>>59479710
Maybe I should really try KDE. Xfce is getting more and more buggy.
>>
>>59479653
>Ubuntu/Debian where something seems to break every 5 minutes or I have dependency issues up my ass.
lol you're definitely doing something wrong then lad.

> I'm beginning to think anyone who claims the opposite has actually used Arch.
Mate, breakage on arch is common... You always have to read the news page before updating, in case they can't properly configure an update again. You don't have to do that on ubuntu, you can upgrade blindly and there will never be breakage. You're either very ignorant or simply lying.
>>
>>59479749
It is perfect.
It's just a nonstandard installation method.
Why does Arch have to fit in with every other OS?
Why is being different bad in 2017?
>>
>>59479725
Also, fuck you for being condescending. With Xfce you will spend time looking for additional packages. No idea about KDE.
>>
>>59479723
troll or not you're wasting everyone's time and causing massive amounts of total newcomers to linux to think it is all like this and that there is no other easy alternative. you don't have to account for the high and low of CS, you are accounting for people who for burning a iso to a CD is asking a lot. this mentality is completely toxic and only hurts the linux community at large.

I am not defending stupidity - you could try to siphon off some ubuntu users to your dropout IRC if you want, but if you honestly think that swaths of windows and mac users will spend more than 5 minutes terminal timesinking then you haven't had any kind of job or responsibilities, ever, period. That kind of jump if you are not CS inclined is going to be way too much.
>>
>>59479767
>>59479767
>>>59479749 (You)
>It is perfect.

Great mentality there.
>>
File: ditto.png (222KB, 901x723px) Image search: [Google]
ditto.png
222KB, 901x723px
Arch is like Ditto. It can become anything.
A desktop computer for gaming on windows via KVM and/or Wine while using linux versions of games if possible.
A laptop based software development oriented OS.
A hacking and RCE oriented OS like Kali, but with even more possible tools to use easily available on AUR.
A power efficient thin client to remotely control and connect to many other computers.
A webserver and/or mailserver.
And many more other possibilities.
>>
>>59479682
>>59479749
Antegros or anything based on arch fits right into the arch quantum bullshit installer autism.

>if it's too hard then just use antegros
>"lol only noobs use antegros what's the matter couldn't be a real loser and install arch?"

>>59479759
Believe it or not I'm very much with him on ubuntu or debian breaking, that's why I said earlier

>autistically removing things and then saying it breaks doesn't count

We've gotten into the details before of this in previous threads and the claim "ubuntu always breaks for me" is a valid one - keyword here is "ME". If you start being autistic and removing things, it will break. That is why timesink distros work out in that they are effectively autism containment, they follow the guide and think they're being super unique even though everyone else did the same shit. The missing link between arch breaking or not is your autism. Which is why we're all here. Arch shits genuinely think that everyone else is just as bad upstairs as them.
>>
>>59479759
>breakage on arch is common...
It really isn't though.

>>59479769
Don't install Xfce then.
>>
>>59479774
Why does every distro have to appeal to Windows and Mac users exactly? There are 9000 beginner distros out there, if anything Windows and Mac users are probably more intimidated by the amount of Ubuntu clones than Arch.
>>
>>59479774
Who's asking for people who can't install it to try to install it??

It's just there.
Do I really have to account for dumb normies downloading Arch without reading anything about it first?

And I DON'T WANT Windows and Mac users to try to install Arch...
They're free to install any easy distro, learn how to interact with Linux and try to install Arch when they're comfortable with it.
>>
File: pokedit_home2.png (54KB, 344x147px) Image search: [Google]
pokedit_home2.png
54KB, 344x147px
>>59479818
Ubuntu is like pokedit. It lets you get the same shit that archfags spent weeks grinding for.

-Press a button and it installs itself
-Never have to worry about "maintenance" or timesinking
-Community that actually gives you real information besides jerking off about EVs or IRC OP status
-Saves a massive amount of time for something that most people consider childish
>>
>>59479884
Gee I dunno dude how about 80% of "what distro should I try" threads. Even on this board. Every 15 minutes.

We know your shitty little game, just fuck off already.
>>
>>59479837
How thin-skinned do you have to be to get this upset about someone making fun of you for using the installer? This is your third post whining about how the mean old Arch community made fun of you, muh "quantum bullshit." Again, why do you care?
>>
>>59479845
>It really isn't though.

Literally the first message on the Arch news page right now:
>upgrade requires manual intervention

I rest my case.
>>
>>59479916
Removing one file is so difficult? Is this what your entire bias-hatred for Arch is founded upon? Really?
>>
>>59479888
>-Press a button and it installs itself
Arch just uses a manual installation method, how is that inherently bad? And there are one-button installers as well.

>-Never have to worry about "maintenance" or timesinking
same, I have an Arch server I haven't updated in 2 years

>-Community that actually gives you real information besides jerking off about EVs or IRC OP status
The Arch wiki is the ONLY good wiki about Linux related software, used by everyone independently of their distro, so you're welcome.

>-Saves a massive amount of time for something that most people consider childish
If you think manually formatting a partition, running 1 (one) command to install a system in it and then configuring it is childish, then I say YOU'RE childish. Now who's being childish here?
>>
>>59479901
You may as well complain about all the "Install Gentoo" posts. This is fucking 4chan, if some newbie actually tries Gentoo because anons here told him too, then gets mad because it's too hard, he's probably too dumb for 4chan, much less Linux.
>>
>>59479929
>hatred
lolwat? I'm just proving my point that arch updates break shit all the fucking time, something you insist on denying for some reason. I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's unnecessary nonsense that other distros just handle a lot better.

Nothing about arch is difficult, it's just tedious.
>>
>>59479901
Yeah because "what distro should I try" gives a whole lot of fucking context about the person's aptitude for Linux.

But I guess you're right, it's wrong to expect a drop of technical literacy on /g/
>>
Autists do this shit all the time.

Github is the worst. People that don't even include example config files or a simple readme because they want you to "read the code and figure it out yourself". Fucker, I am a developer myself and I would never make it more difficuly for others.
>>
>>59479944
>The Arch wiki is the ONLY good wiki about Linux related software, used by everyone independently of their distro, so you're welcome.
This. The ubuntu documentation is pretty shit. Arch Wiki has always had exactly what I've been looking for. And with the many extra tips from users who have actually gone through what I am trying to do its more useful than the manpages themselves.
>>
>>59479967
>Breaks shit all the time
>All the time
>All
>the
>time
>>
>>59479993
>Taking a common phrase literal as if that proves anything but my own autism

ok lad
>>
>>59479749
I'm not pretending everything is perfect, it's just that the policy from the beginning has been if you want an installer, make one. People have made installers, but they don't get a ton of recognition or are eventually abandoned. This leads me to believe there just isn't enough demand for an Arch installer.
>>
>>59479967
Whereas on Ubuntu/Debian it's not just a file you need to delete, it's an entire repo, including installing new ones and/or manually configuring packages. Also they won't include shit like that on their news page because there's too many to report, or they're just too lazy to test it properly.
>>
the central problem about the arch community is that before they inevitably kill themselves they also keep it going by getting some new person to repeat the process and infect everyone online. It's already started so we will never have an opportunity where enough of them will kill themselves at once to stop it. Hopefully in the future eugenics will solve this problem. For now, sponsor an arch linux early suicide option on your local linux forum today
>>
File: IMG_20170308_174222.jpg (103KB, 2241x316px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_174222.jpg
103KB, 2241x316px
Reminder that void is arch without the autism
>>
>>59478788
>why dont they just give you a ncurses next->next->next for the first bit
they used to. nobody wanted to maintain it, so they had it removed
I kinda agree with them, though. As a developer, they strive to make things simple for themselves. simple things mean higher maintainability, lower complexity and fewer bugs
arch-chroot? it works, never have to touch it again for 10 years
installation gui? change it everytime something underling the OS itself changed
please be kind with me if my opinion is shit
>>
>>59479967
Software updates don't come from out of the ass of the O.S. developers, it comes from the _software_ developers.

And these updates affect everyone that uses Linux! If a software you use changes drastically, YOU'RE gonna have to adapt to it! Everyone will! Not just Arch users.

The thing here is, Arch actually has a medium for talking with their users about an update that will change something in a major way.
>>
>>59479979
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
>>
>>59480048
>it's not just a file you need to delete, it's an entire repo, including installing new ones and/or manually configuring packages
What are you on mate? I've had to do this exactly once when the repos for the nvidia drivers changed. Once in 6 years.

>>59480088
>Arch actually has a medium for talking with their users about an update
The thing here is, Ubuntu actually makes sure that updates simply don't break shit. When something changes in a major way, which rarely happens, they have a similar news page.
>>
>>59480173
>still claiming that updates break arch
Why are you using ancient memes anon, you sound like a shill.
>>
>>59480173
>The thing here is, Ubuntu actually makes sure that updates simply don't break shit. When something changes in a major way, which rarely happens, they have a similar news page.
So does Arch. Every package goes through the testing repos first.
>>
>>59480191
>still denying arch updates don't break shit constantly
Why are you ignoring the arch homepage? You sound like a shill.

> Every package goes through the testing repos first.
upgrade requires manual intervention
>>
>>59480173
>they have a similar news page.
Do they?
Is it the OMG! Ubuntu! website?
Or maybe Planet Ubuntu? Oh no
>Planet Ubuntu is a window into the world, work and lives of Ubuntu developers and contributors.
Noobslab? Ubuntumaniac?
fridge.ubuntu.com?
THEY ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT IRC OPERATORS ON FRIDGE.UBUNTU.COM
LMAO YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
File: jurassicpark12.png (818KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
jurassicpark12.png
818KB, 960x640px
>>59476702
>>
>>59480173
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/linux/

So does Arch. Our sweet 4.10.4-1 kernel is on its way (kernel updates at least twice a month for Arch) and is currently in testing. Stay mad on your broken 4.8 kernel, bitch. https://fossbytes.com/ubuntu-linux-safari-adobe-edge-hacked-pwn2own-2017/
>>
>>59480228
>upgrade requires manual intervention
>OH NO! I literally have to type 3 commands! I can't do this
Brainlets like you should commit suicide. Its an unavoidable situation due to the upstream providers.
>>
>>59480228
>Why are you ignoring the arch homepage
Oh I see, so there is a manual intervention needed to upgrade the system for the first time since two years and now you see that as a justification for your autistic fits how "hurr durr arch breaks evry tiem xD"? Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
The fact is installing Arch isn't that hard and every installer gets abandoned. No one cares about having an installer on Arch, and the people that do script their own. The only people who complain about this "issue" are people who never had any intention of using Arch in the first place
>>
>>59480269
1 command if you
rm /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt; pacman -Syuw
>>
why do brainlets dislike arch so much? oh wait, i know
>>
File: sexytux.jpg (54KB, 750x751px) Image search: [Google]
sexytux.jpg
54KB, 750x751px
>>59480236
>Do they?
Yes, it's ubuntu.com/usn/
There's also various other resources which can all be found on ubuntu.com/support/community-support.

Keep shilling though I guess...
>>
File: stopit.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
stopit.gif
1MB, 480x358px
>>59480269
>I can't do this
I'll repeat this once again for you since you clearly didn't understand it the first time: I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's unnecessary nonsense that other distros just handle a lot better.

>>59480279
>for the first time since two years
We both know you're lying.
>>
>>59480305
You can also just force the upgrade as well. What's funny is people would know how to solve any potential issues like these if the read the wiki article on pacman, which the installation guide explicitly recommends that you do.
>>
>>59480330
>Ubuntu security notices
curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/ | grep kernel | wc -l

>>
>>59480380
THIRTY TWO SECURITY NOTICES FOR KERNEL EXPLOITS BEING PATCHED

DO YOU THINK THEY GOT EM ALL BOYS?

UBUNTU BTFO
>>
>>59478851
>only 15 minutes versus 5 for anything else without having to do any psuedo dropout "learning"
LMAO Debian takes at least 30 minutes to install all of its bloatware.
>>
>>59480330
>Ubuntu security notices
I have a feeling these are just the security notices.
>>
>>59479076
>Ubuntu / everything else always have 0 fuckups.

Not really.

I'm a retard when it comes to Linux.

>install default xubuntu
>closing the lid doesn't put the laptop in sleepmode, fucks up the locking too
>can't figure out how to fix it

>install arch
>install xfce
>everything works fine
>>
>>59480370
>y-you're lying!
If you'd "know" that I lie then you'd surely provide some evidence to counter my lies, wouldn't you? Unless of course you are just shit posting old memes just because you couldn't setup at least one fully functioning arch box.
>>
>>59480419
>can't figure out how to fix it
You can fix that using the power applet bundled with Xubuntu, which the Arch xfce4 group does not include.

colon caret close bracket
>>
>>59480392
That's just page 1
curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page=2 | grep kernel | wc -l

>74 pages
>>
>>59480458
>old memes
>Latest News
uhuh, keep shilling archfag
>>
These burns ITT are going to take time to heal
>>
>>59480481
curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page=3 | grep kernel | wc -l

Should I keep going?
>>
File: lolwat.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
lolwat.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>59480458
>you couldn't setup
kek, he thinks setting up arch is an achievement.
>>
File: 1453573957963-1.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453573957963-1.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>59480485
>not providing any evidence
>calls others shills for countering blatant lies
>>
>>59480485
Keep ignoring what we say, Arch hater
>>
>>59480370
>I'm saying it's unnecessary nonsense that other distros just handle a lot better.
This is just a side effect of the rolling release mode, in other distros updates which require manual intervention would probably be saved for a new release. Every rolling release occasionally needs you to intervene in an update, this isn't exclusive to Arch.
>>
>>59476702

Not going to lie, I had to restart my installation 3 times, and it took me just under an hour to install it.

But I had some really fucky and uncommon problems because I was using a super old 2004 machine I think.
>>
>>59480475
>colon
hehehe
>>
>>59479110
cause pacman > apt.

I've been "trying out" arch for a year full time and only one update has been a problem. It did not break anything, simply didn't upgrade. Ran one command and it was back to normal.
>>
File: 1443875074163.jpg (6KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1443875074163.jpg
6KB, 160x160px
>>59480512
>being so insecure that you think I implied that
>>
>>59480512
It isn't,
he thinks you're buttmad you couldn't install such a simple operating system.
And is now out of arguments and goes to "you're lying!" and spouting old memes like "kek" and "arch breaks"
kek.
>>
>>59480535
It took me three days because I was trying to dual boot with Windows 10, would have only taken me one if I was just installing Arch. My problem was systemdboot, wasn't working at all with Windows, what a piece of shit. Changed to GRUB and it worked fine.
>>
>>59476045

OP, kys

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide tells you how to install it

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations tells you how to get shit to rice your desktop, pleb

what more do you want?
>>
>>59480571

calm yourself
>>
>>59480526
>hater
12 year old detected

>>59480532
>this isn't exclusive to Arch
I'm aware, and never claimed anything else. Arch just has this problem as well.
>>
>>59480634
stop projecting your stress
>>
File: 3817548572.jpg (179KB, 507x579px) Image search: [Google]
3817548572.jpg
179KB, 507x579px
>apt
>sudo apt install calendar
>found calendar-0.1 but it is not going to be installed
>sudo apt install -f
>are you sure you want to install the following packages (231):
>sudo apt remove calendar
>the following packages will be removed: calendar libc6 linux-firmware

>pacman
>sudo pacman -S calendar
>packages (1): calendar-2.31-git
>>
File: carlton.jpg (47KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
carlton.jpg
47KB, 300x300px
>>59480571
You obviously did tho.

>>59480572
>you couldn't install
And so do you, what is it with you archfags thinking installing this crapware is an accomplishment? Are you also proud of cleaning your toilets?
>>
>>59479387
https://arch-anywhere.org/
>>
Macbook Pro with TouchBar doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>59480651
>I'm aware, and never claimed anything else. Arch just has this problem as well.
I don't understand why you would use a rolling release distro if you weren't aware of the advantages and disadvantages of that model. Something like Fedora Rawhide isn't targeting new Windows or Mac users and that's fine, but everyone here spergs out about how Arch isn't friendly enough to new users bcause muh installer.
>>
>>59480684
We're saying quite literally the opposite.

Installing Arch is one of the easiest things to do in the Linux world but you seem incapable of doing it, the only reason one would have to hate on it.
>>
>>59480724
>you seem incapable
lol, here we go again... you're laughable.
>>
>>59480708
>I don't understand why you would use a rolling release distro if you weren't aware of the advantages and disadvantages of that model.
I wouldn't. Arch is just rolling release done badly. OpenSUSE tumbleweed is rolling release done well, for instance. Even kevinOS seemed quite sane, though very limited of course.
>>
>>59480684
>He still things that laughing at someone because he can't do 'x' which is simple means that we are saying doing 'x' is an accomplishment
Literally nigger cattle.
>>
File: facepalm.gif (836KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.gif
836KB, 300x212px
>>59480724
>hate on it
Kids these days...
>>
>>59480735
Did you finish reading what I wrote?

The only reason to hate on the installation of an operating system is because you couldn't install it, obviously.

So we can infer that you couldn't. And I can confirm this by the massive evasion you've been doing in your posts.
>>
File: 1444840017365.jpg (30KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1444840017365.jpg
30KB, 450x450px
>>59480735
Hey retard do you think that people think that wiping your ass after you shit is an achievement when they make fun of curryniggers for not doing so?
>>
>12 year old detected
>calm yourself
>crapware
>toilets
>kids these days
Literally just a troll, stop feeding it guys.
>>
>>59480708

it really is a pointless argument because most people's distro preference probably comes from how much is done automatically vs. how much you have to do yourself. saying you're unhappy because it's not easy enough means go back to windows. either learn a little bit or install a walmart OS like ubuntu if you want to pretend to like linux
>>
>>59480508
ubuntubtfo=(); for i in {1..74}; do ubuntubtfo+=($(curl -s "https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page=$i" | grep kernel | wc -l)); done; IFS="+"; bc <<< "${ubuntubtfo[*]}"

Do you still trust Ubuntu?
>>
>>59480806

wait, what exactly are we here for?
>>
File: arch snowflakes.png (117KB, 1465x1007px) Image search: [Google]
arch snowflakes.png
117KB, 1465x1007px
>>59480775
>hate on
>>59480782
>>59480795
>>59480806
>>
>>59480835
You can't fool me
>>
>>59480857
Oh shit guys, watch out, he's got MSPaint comics!
>>
>>59480819
ubuntubtfo=(); ubuntubtfo+=($(curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page={1..74} | grep kernel | wc -l)); IFS="+"; bc <<< "${ubuntubtfo[*]}"

you don't need to be in a for loop, as this is faster and more elegant
>>
>>59479029
Architect is good. But if you want easier arch go for antegros
>>
>>59480782
>You criticize arch? You probably couldn't even install it like me!

Yeah ok kiddo.
>>
File: hackerman.png (32KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.png
32KB, 410x410px
>he doesnt even use blackarch linux
come on you guys
that blue arch one is for non hackermans
>>
Arch is so much easier than Debian or Gentoo

Debian : Apt need to remove essential packages when you want to install another one. No drivers.

Gentoo : blocked packages, hours to instal package, if an error occur when a package is compiled you're fucked you can't install it

Arch : it just werks
>>
Arch Linux is for fags that are too stupid to install gentoo
>>
>>59480896
IFS="+"; bc <<< $(curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page={1..74} | grep kernel | wc -l)

or, you know, this will do...
>>
>>59480919
What??
You're criticizing the installer, right?
But installing is
E A S Y
A
S
Y

Is what I'm trying to say.
If you say it isn't, it's a problem with YOU, not the installing method.

But you seem to only acknowledge personal insults out of what I say...
>>
>>59480960
bc <<< $(curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page={1..74} | grep kernel | wc -l)

better yet...
>>
>>59480928
Archstrike repos are better
>>
>>59480977
curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page={1..74} | grep kernel | wc -l | bc

or just...
>>
File: 1444412119148-4.png (42KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1444412119148-4.png
42KB, 625x626px
>>59480857
>>
File: biebean.png (597KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
biebean.png
597KB, 1024x768px
at least arch doesn't try to remove you whole system when you're uninstalling a font

LMAO
>>
>>59480964
>You're criticizing the installer, right?
Not specifically. It's the whole package, or rather, lack thereof.

Everybody knows installing it is easy you dense moron.
>>
>>59479110
lol, I update all the time, never check the wiki, and the only thing which has happened is some steam games didn't launch cause nvidia are retarded
>>
>>59480994
curl -s https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/?page={1..74} | grep kernel | wc -l

or JUST
>>
>>59480943
Gentoo is just Arch but everything takes longer.
>>
>>59481044
just kill me please
>>
>>59481027
k
>>
>>59478851
>But that would defeat the entire point which is to keep everyone out. in the future the installer will come encrypted and with its own test which will be the only way to unencrypt it and you have to suck some guy's irc OP nick off to get in and they'll justify this by calling it "learning"
You are obviously salty as hell but I'll admit, I laughed
>>
>>59479110
Debian, or apt based distros for that matter, are much more likely to break than Arch. I'm not even trolling or defending pacman here, I just hate apt with a passion.

APT IS UTTER SHIT
>>
>>59481027
>Not specifically. It's the whole package, or rather, lack thereof.
Yeah, that's why the AUR and the wiki are so widely praised even by those who don't use it right? You've done nothing but whine this whole thread.
>>
>>59481027
This whole thread was made because some brainlet was assblasted the installation guide was slightly changed. If it's not the install process then what are you criticizing?
>It's the whole package, or rather, lack thereof.
Can you be more specific? Are you even capable to be more specific? You sound like a retard that tries his hardest to criticize something he cannot even understand.
>>
>>59481068
>You don't agree with me so you're hating or whining

Great point little boy. Don't you have some ricing to do on your 1337 i3 tiling wm?
>>
>>59481098
not an argument
>>
>>59481083
>Can you be more specific?
Can you read the thread? Are you even capable of reading? You sound like a retard that tries his hardest to criticize something he cannot even read.
>>
>>59481048
Gentoo has the advantage of not having to deal with stupid developers forcing "new" stuff down your throat.
>>
>>59481054
thank god this site is anonymous
>>
>>59481109
Likewise.
>>
>>59481098
No one's offered any substantial arguments in this thread, it's always the same incessant whining about how Arch isn't just another Debian/Ubuntu clone like the other 9000 distros on Distrowatch.
>>
>>59481112
>doesn't specify anything
All this thread was just whining about the installation process and the forced meme that arch breaks after updates. Do you have any other specific criticism or are you confined only to the memes you saw on /g/?
>>
>>59480613
This is me, getting grub to play nice on my laptop. I cheated and used "revenge installer".
>>
>>59481168
>Doesn't read anything
Do you have any other specific criticism or are you confined only to the echo chamber you saw on the arch irc?
>>
>>59481113
How does that work? You don't update a package or what? Or are you talking about the whole systemd thing?
>>
File: architect_linux_32.png (9KB, 721x402px) Image search: [Google]
architect_linux_32.png
9KB, 721x402px
>>59476045
I use the Architect installer - not wasting my time on that
>>
>>59476045
Funny shit is that most of my colleagues (also, Sys. Admins/Engi's/Architects) prefer Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian over Arch.

I'm not hating on Arch and I did use it in past but I did not see many benefits compared to net-install images of any popular distros and building it ground up with a well known package manager.
>>
>>59481249
I have read every post here and there are literally only 2 arguments here against arch; the installer and the myth that arch breaks after upgrades. Sounds like you didn't read anything and you still didn't specify what are you criticizing.
>>
>>59481337
Arch's main "practical" use is it's good for embedded devices and small servers, because it's relatively lightweight and fast. The same could be said of any distro that doesn't install a lot of bloat like Void or Gentoo as well.
>>
who gives a heck when arch-anywhere exist
>>
>>59479158
Try installing gentoo.
>>
>>59476045
I used and installed arch on disparate systems and never touched gui installers because they didn't exist before or wasn't as popular as now.

I never fucked up any of my installs but I crashed one outdated install I don't even use anymore by force upgrading a package that testdisk (and unluckily sudo) requires and because arch ditches old package versions I have no way to find the older build and install it let alone run sudo or even do any form of rescue mode because it just crashes even before being able to log in.

right now I'm planning on ditching arch for gentoo.
I'm tired of this systemd bullshit in my system and arch is hand in hand in love with systemdicks. Recently my system is giving out TPM errors during boot which is perhaps another harmful 'systemd feature'

Fucking tired of this shit. I hope all systemd distros can just die with poettering and redhat.

Almost all of my problems are always caused by systemd.

I would reconsider still using arch if the devs start making official non-systemd/openrc branch.
>>
>>59481420
I agree.

Still, I have a lot of respect for their Wiki and the initiative to show the new users the installation process behind the GUI of a regular distributions.
>>
>>59481538
>because arch ditches old package versions
It literally doesn't
>>
>>59481420
>arch on embedded devices
Are you out of your mind? Just because it works on some embedded devices doesn't mean it's good for embedded devices in general.

No single engineer I know would dare using Arch in an embedded project.
>>
>>59479618
all of this can be easily done after your system is running.
>>
>>59481341
>the myth
Latest News:
upgrade requires manual intervention

mhmm
>>
>>59481621
Oh ok, so this is your only argument?

>manual intervention required in update for the first time after 2 years of stability
>arch breaks every time
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>59480564
Just way until some package breaks it is literally inevitable. If you hate apt so much you could use an rpm based distro like fedora or opensuse anyway.
t. ex arch user
>>
>>59479618
If your key file for the bootloader is in the initramfs and so is your key file for your hard drive then what is the fucking point? Your data might as well not be encrypted as all the keys are on the hard drive.
>>
>>59481760
No, my boot partition (which initramfs is part of) is encrypted with GRUB's boot encryption which uses a pre-OS dm-crypt/LUKS module. I have still have to type a password in to decrypt everything, it just means I only need to use one.
>>
>>59481679
>first time after 2 years
You're being dishonest. Every time is an obvious exaggeration, but updates are known to break arch, this is not true for ubuntu. That is literally the only thing I've said, and it's perfectly true. Keep shilling though.
>>
>>59481812
The intervention was literally deleting a ca_certificate before upgrading, cry about it some more gaylord.
>>
>>59481875
Which is something ubuntu would have done for you. Keep at it sonny.
>>
>>59481797
Isn't it easier to just stop consuming pedophilia?
>>
File: ultimatericingmeme.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ultimatericingmeme.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>59476045
>not using an installer

:^)
>>
>>59479652
The reason that people get so triggered when arch is mentioned is because of how toxic arch users are compared to the rest of the linux community. They spread like a disease and are always trying to switch people to arch, causing new users who actually try it to hate the whole idea of Linux because arch hunts for new users seemingly just to watch them suffer through the "arch way" and go back to windows or Mac and call Linux shit. Gentoo is praised because the user base is actually friendly and because gentoo is mostly seen as a fun little distro that can be useful in some specific circumstances.
>>
>>59481912
>being this mad over encryption
Hiding data is only a secondary concern of my setup, its mostly to stop unauthorized modifications of the system. By utilizing secureboot with self-signed certificates and signing my bootloader with it, then having everything else encrypted, it makes it highly infeasible to implement an evil maid attack. The only way you would be able to modify the software given physical access to my machine would be to solder on a new bios ROM chip.
>>
>>59481812
I am being perfectly honest, my machine never required a manual intervention for updating for two years until now when they changed the directory of 1 symlink, which can be easily fixed. Nowadays Arch is rock solid, sure in its early days it had problems with updates and package configurations, which is why that "arch breaks every time" meme was born, the satirical ms paint comic you were using is 5 years old for that reason. Using that argument now when Arch is a mature distro is extremely dishonest, yet for some reason you keep perpetuating this myth.
>>
>>59481900
Don't act like there are no failures when upgrading the whole Ubuntu distribution itself. A manual intervention once every few years in a rolling release distro is nothing compared to the drudgery of upgrading a fix release distro.
>>
>>59482199
I've been on LTS since 12.04 and never had problems upgrading to the next LTS. Granted I don't upgrade first day, but still.
>>
>>59482055
>never required a manual intervention for updating for two years until now
2016-12-30: update requires administrative interaction
>this myth
is not a myth
>>
File: 1468444637660.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1468444637660.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>59482222
Well guess what, I had no problems on my Arch installation too.
>>
File: image.jpg (5KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5KB, 300x57px
>>59476045
>Tries to install an OS aimed at competent linux users.
>Can't
>Worthless secret club. <!--sobs internally-->
>>
>>59482261
Good for you, I guess you don't upgrade much.
>>
>>59482222 (checked)
Those fucking quads. BRB wiping Arch off my system now.
>>
>>59482222
Do you like having outdated software?
>>
>>59482301
>muh bleeding edge
>>
>>59482309
>muh stability
>>
>>59482309
i installed arch via revenge installer and use the LTS kernel

I am the enigma of the ubuntu vs arch people
>>
>>59482337
Tumbleweed is nice too.
>>
>>59481976
>toxic
>>
>>59482330
More like
>muh easy of use
>>
>>59482378
as in opensuse? i have never tried opensuse, the package manager doesn't seem like my type of thing, but i respect the distro generally. best logo.
>>
>>59482405
Arch is easier to use than Ubuntu, though. Granted, the installation is more involved, but the day-to-day use is easier.
Just compare Pacman to Apt-*/Aptitiude/Dpkg.
>>
>>59482432
this, i've found after install that arch is extremely functional and not too hard to get used to. the aur is so great.

though, as i've mentioned in the thread, i didn't go through the autistic install.
>>
>>59482405
>ease of use
Copying and pasting three lines of code pretty easy dude. Pretty much any error in Arch can be solved by reading the news or the wiki. You realize the Ubuntu forums are flooded with people asking for help on specific issues as well? Ubuntu isn't even terminal-free like people say, go to Ubuntu trouble-shooting forums and the mods will always say to copy/paste something into the terminal. Exactly like Arch. if you can't use the terminal to fix things you can't use Linux, this is simply a fact. it's not an Arch thing, like I said it's common in every distro, even Ubuntu.
>>
File: kys-brainlet.png (16KB, 426x164px) Image search: [Google]
kys-brainlet.png
16KB, 426x164px
>>59482280
>Oh no my myth is threatened!
>y-you don't upgrade much, eh anon?
>>
>>59482413
yes opensuse, it's one of those distros that seems to get overlooked a lot, but is actually pretty solid.

>>59482432
>Just compare Pacman to Apt
Idk man, they seem pretty similar to me. Is there something pacman can do that apt can't or vice versa?

And how can it be easier day to day if you sometimes have to manually intervene when updating? Or are you just talking about the AUR vs add-apt-repository?
>>
>>59482506
yeah, i've noticed it's not too common to see opensuse users around /g/ and other places.
>>
>>59482504
Then you have had to intervene manually. Don;t pretend otherwise.
>>
>>59482527
Yes, for the first time since 2 years, I already told you that.
>>
As always arch spergs are fundamentally unable to understand time. It might be because that's why they chose arch or any other timesink distro in the first place.

>set up the system
>more manual bullshit
>autism DE muh WMgirl animu (IRC circlejerk)

Each one of these points could be 5 minutes or 5 years, and between each line could be 5 minutes or 5 years. I'm a loser so 5 minutes is the same as 5 years I guess.

"arch isn't bad if you just don't have any friends or job or responsibilities and have 3-8 free decades to butt diddle in the terminal"

It's okay though we need someone to flip burgers. I do have to admit the world would fall apart without an insulating net of losers for cheap labor.
>>
>>59482548
>for the first time since 2 years
2016-12-30: update requires administrative interaction
>>
>>59482506
>Idk man, they seem pretty similar to me. Is there something pacman can do that apt can't or vice versa?

>need a library X
>pacman:
>pacman -S X
>apt:
>apt-get install libX5-123
Also, pacman integrates all commands into one. It seems also faster.
>And how can it be easier day to day if you sometimes have to manually intervene when updating?
You sometimes have to intervene manually when updating in any distro.
>Or are you just talking about the AUR vs add-apt-repository?
Those aren't even comparable.
>>
>>59482557
>cant into linux
just install gnome.

I know the install guide doesn't say specifically to do this so you may have to put some thought into it but if you care about your time then gnome has everything you need.
>>
>>59477029
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
you are a shill.
>>
>>59482575
>Take special care if you depend on VPN connectivity for remote access!
You do realize that not everyone is using every use case of a Linux distro?
>>
>>59482557
>>more manual bullshit
What manual bullshit are you speaking of?
>>
>>59482580
So it's the syntax that bothers you? I guess that's a preference, I use aliases for everything anyway.

>You sometimes have to intervene manually when updating in any distro.
I haven't in 6 years on ubuntu.
>>
File: 1438612698319.jpg (11KB, 364x365px) Image search: [Google]
1438612698319.jpg
11KB, 364x365px
>>59482557
>every ricer is using arch
>all arch users are ricers
>>
>>59482611
I'm just looking at the homepage, and it has 2 examples. I don't care enough to search further than that, but I think it proves my point quite well. If the homepage has 2 examples of manual intervention I find it hard to believe you haven't had to in 2 years. Unless shitposting on /g/ is literally the only thing you do.
>>
>>59482619
>implying the act of updating isn't a manual intervention itself
>>
>>59482557
Once you get everything installed it takes like a half an hour to set up everything, are you retarded?
>set up user
>install x
>install Alsa
>install relevant video drivers
>set up permanent internet connection
>install DM
>install DE
Hell, if you install an entire package like KDE or GNOME it literally does all of that for you.
>>
>>59482619
>So it's the syntax that bothers you?
What syntax? No, the fact when I need library X I have to sift through all those different packages and choose the one, while Arch has a much simpler scheme.

>I haven't in 6 years on ubuntu.
That's a lie. Never did dist-upgrade?
>>
>>59482611
this impacted me. while running pacman it specifically said I need to move my configuration files.
It even told me where to move them and how they were called by the program... all within the package manager.

they also broke BIND9 one time a week ago. I couldn't figure out what broke so I downgraded a few packages and it worked until they fixed it a few hours later.

and then just recently they had an update that required manual intervention

Their package manager failed to upgrade the package, so I checked the news. They spelled out exactly how to upgrade to the new ca-certificates package with the exact commands to type.

not sure if everybody else finds reading this easy
maybe following instructions isn't for everyone
>>
>>59482619
>I haven't in 6 years on ubuntu.
Reinstalling/upgrading your entire OS to a new version is something I would consider "manual intervention."
>>
>>59482654
Not on ubuntu it isn't. If you don't want it to be.
>>
Federal minimum wage: $7.25 an hour

x

1 hour per day spent "maintaining" arch install

+

1 hour per day defending it on the internet to strangers (required as per arch sperg defence S.O.P.)

+

1 hour per day spent in IRC pretending to be an anime girl with other losers jerking off

x

365 days per year

=

$7938.75

x 5 years

= $39693.75

The choice is yours. Want to fit in with internet losers soon to kill themselves who will just disown you in 5 minutes because you don't use a shittier WM? Or put a down payment on a house. Or if you live outside a city, OWN a house.

Lose the arch install, buy a house
>>
>>59482688
I click the yes button and wait a bit. I wouldn't.
>>
>>59476702
nice meme
>>
File: 1464982143665.jpg (12KB, 320x362px) Image search: [Google]
1464982143665.jpg
12KB, 320x362px
>>59482222
>Comparing LTS to rolling release
Are you retarded?
>>
>>59482659
Ok, so the way packages are named? I guess that could be a fair point.

>That's a lie. Never did dist-upgrade?
It's not a lie, I dist-upgrade weekly.
>>
>>59482719
please listen to this guy /g/
>>
>>59482763
Well, that's a manual intervention.

Anyway, it's impossible in 6 years no daemon got a new config that apt told you to optionally merge.
>>
>rolling release
>bleeding edge
BAAWWWWWWW How dare they make me type in three lines of code in the terminal! Why isn't this more like Ubuntu LTS?????
>>
>>59478788
Because there's no one-size-fits-all install. Flexibility would be sacrificed.

A typical setup is still 15 minutes and just a few commands, so I have no idea why rant so much.
>>
if you don't know how to google 'arch installer' you shouldn't even use linux
>>
$7,938 deposited per year

Invested at average market return of 3%

Over 10 years would yield a total of $101,668

101,668 - (7,938 x 10)

101,668 - (79,380)

= $ 22,288 of pure free interest from having not used arch linux

-

Same figures for 20 years: $68,874 interest

30 years: $158,781 interest

-

"b-but then I'd be at some place with non-linux-pro-pro's like myself and we couldn't jerk off even though 15 seconds after I /part they will all just ban me because I don't acknowledge their waifu because she isn't bestgirl by the way I'm 55 now and I'm fucking better than you"
>>
>>59482719
I find the (bunch of) arch I run to be absolutely hassle free, particularly when compared to my main workstation's Gentoo.
>>
Even if the guide is gone, Arch Anywhere will forever have the guide integrated to hold your hand through your installs anyway
>>
>>59482798
True, sometimes you get a few y/n questions, keep the old config, merge or renew etc. But you could just enter through it and nothing would break. I would not call that manual intervention though. I don't have to go through config files myself if I don't want to.
>>
>>59482859
arch anywhere broke my system and set up my partitions really weirdly.

revenge installer worked best for me. it's an actual gui, too, which i didn't mind.
>>
>>59482860
Yes, that's a manual intervention. What ideally you should do is to merge the new and old files using e.g. vimdiff, emacs, or meld.
>>
>>59482799
>imblying

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release with bleeding edge packages and doesn't come with all the autism Arch does. Same with Debian SID.

Pacman is fucking horrible. The installation process is retarded. The way they don't test packages and allow anything in AUR screams incompetence.

Again, Arch is for hipsters. Only manchildren in /g/ use it to spam their slutty anime girl backgrounds in the Screenfetch threads.
>>
>>59476702
Not gonna lie, former Arch user here. Its hilarious to watch the begginer's guide crash and burn... but in all seriousness, we can't let the noobs use our distro
>>
Hmmm reading the new arch installation instructions on the wiki and I got stuck. Let me go look this up

(Some quantity of time passes, don't ask how much faggot, fuck you, I'm better than you)

Kay finally got it installed. Let me just go outside for a moment

Woah! It's the future! Flying cars, skyscrapers, 30 eviction notices pasted on my door, also I'm 60 now, and still poor.

I recommend "Arch Linux" because you get to travel in time! This is so cool! You just have to stay inside and jerk off for a few decades faggot
>>
>>59482918
>we can't let the noobs use our distro

been using arch for ~5 years now
still browse the newbie corner of the forums when I have an issue
>>
>>59482912
What on earth are you even whining about exactly? You sound more autistic than any Arch user I've ever seen.
>>
>boo hoo i can't type 12 commands to install arch

go back to windows 10 retards
>>
>>59482888

Provide a link to "revenge installer"?
>>
>>59478979
stop bullshiting, arch comes with the same functionality out of the box that busybox
>>
File: you earned it faggot.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
you earned it faggot.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>59482719
>>59482840
>>59482924
>>
Hey everyone let's talk about all the rich Arch users

lol
>>
>>59482962
Did you try looking for it? It isn't exactly difficult to find.
>>
>>59482952
Adults don't play with a toy OS like you manchildren.
>>
>>59482911
>that's a manual intervention
It isn't though, it's automated intervention, it prompts you for questions and gives you choices.
>>
>>59482962
https://sourceforge.net/projects/revenge-installer/

it looks a bit shady but it's real, i tried it in a vm before doing it on my main machine. there are youtube vids of people installing with it, too. it's a lot like a standard gui installer.
>>
>>59482997
>choice
>not manual
OK.
>>
>>59482986
>have to install something without a GUI
>toyOS
Are people really this pathetic?
>>
File: animurchant.png (91KB, 520x473px) Image search: [Google]
animurchant.png
91KB, 520x473px
Lets be honest here:
if what you want is a fully costumizable waifu-box; arch is great

if not, is shit

and thats that
>>
>>59483019
>prompt
>manual
OK.
>>
>>59483041
unless you can automate it via a script it is manual
>>
>>59483056
-y
>>
>>59483041
Automatic is when the whole procedure is done without any interruptions.
Manual aka interactive is when the procedure stops waiting for an answer at some points.
If you don't understand that, I don't know how to spell it out for you.
>>
>>59483034
How is it shit? There's nothing inherently worse about Arch than any other non-Source-based distro.
>>
>>59483088
lol ok, even IF I would agree with you, arch still needs more manual intervention than ubuntu, in other words, this is a silly thing to get hung up on.
>>
>>59483085
Which is a bad idea.
>inb4 nothing ever broke for me
Doesn't mean it's the proper way.

Look, say you have a program X that has configuration in /etc/X.conf. Now say the format of the configuration changes so that the program in the new version expects something different in this file. If you say -y, it will keep the old file making the program X not function correctly or at all. Usually it's not the case that programs simply don't accept old configuration, but it could happen.
>>
Hmmm getting too mainstream, I may have to switch to something shittier. Let's come up with some ideas to "cull the herd" so to speak (I'm better than you) :

-Not only is the installer encrypted but even if you do answer all the gay questions correctly, it is on a timer and it's random so you have to be sitting there waiting for it to allow you to continue and it's only available for 30 seconds. This will also cut down on reinstalls and force existing users to prove their worth since it breaks every update (HEY I'M A FAT FUCK AND IT NEVER BREAKS FOR ME (BECAUSE I DON'T UPDATE)(FUCK YOU))

-There is a secret daemon called something generic that just deletes random shit all the time and will only stop either if you know to delete it or will go away on its own after 2-3 weeks

-Make a fake news post on the home page saying the ISOs were compromised when they really weren't, should keep a lot of people out

-Other fake news posts could say "this distro stopped development in 2010" or something like that, or review all other distros and say they're superior. Again all on the home page.

-Have bots auto-delete all forum posts and threads from people whose accounts are less than 1 year old. Don't say this anywhere, so there's no record.

-Make the installation require a key of some kind like windows and only give out a limited number per week online, or make them pay to get one quicker as this will let me fund my animu collection

-Try to figure out why you were born.

-Flip my burgers asshole.
>>
>>59483117
The silly thing is to create a thread on /g/ to vent how analblasted you are about an operating system.
>>
>>59483148
You are trying way, way too hard
>>
>>59483117
>arch still needs more manual intervention than ubuntu
What manual intervention exactly?
>>
>>59483151
We agree there.
>>
>>59483171
Fuck off, read the thread mate.
>>
>>59483190
Point me to the relevant post, please.
>>
File: 1413840299572.jpg (723KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1413840299572.jpg
723KB, 1280x1707px
>Arch is a small distro with no major backers. Most devs work on it in their free time and users are expected to fill in the gaps
>Despite this has almost as much notoriety as mega-popular distros like Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE. Wiki is the most well known Linux wiki on the internet, and its mere existence causes eternal butthurt on forums and imageboards.
>>
>>59481928
where is your wallpaper from?
>>
File: 1455339307440.png (413KB, 464x700px) Image search: [Google]
1455339307440.png
413KB, 464x700px
>>59483117
>arch still needs more manual intervention than ubuntu
>comparing bleeding edge rolling release to stable fixed release
>>
>>59483148
>Other fake news posts could say "this distro stopped development in 2010"
That would be hilarious though, just pretend your distro doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1485277569902.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485277569902.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
>loading 10s of KiBs of extra libraries just to have a retarded ncurses interface that doesn't even work
Seriously.
>>
File: FCEYI.gif (2MB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
FCEYI.gif
2MB, 480x271px
>>59483140
>the proper way
Who said anything about the proper way?

>it could happen
right
>>
>>59482752
>>59483234
(You)
>>
>>59479618
one day ill understand this
>>
Reminder that Arch and its devs are anti-user and sacrifice freedom and privacy for the sake of their own convenience: https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
File: clothingstore.jpg (304KB, 1500x833px) Image search: [Google]
clothingstore.jpg
304KB, 1500x833px
>>59483230
oh, it's in toronto. here's the paper.
>>
File: u52op.jpg (87KB, 800x764px) Image search: [Google]
u52op.jpg
87KB, 800x764px
>>59482918
>>
>>59476564
That's the only guide I've ever used
>>
>>59476045
>https://csdietz.github.io/arch-beginner-guide/

bookmark ...
>>
>>59478788
The only thing that every body does is
# timedatectl set-ntp true

and the locale part but even this can vary a lot.
Partitions, filesystems, mirrors... everyone has different needs.

Arch lets its few devs/maintainers focus on the difficult balance between stability and freshness.
The packages may be bloated and not configured at all but they work.
>>
>>59479158
>developers
Real developers just use Ubuntu because they can cage their autism to get actual work done.
>>
The Beginner's guide was pretty much merged with the installation guide, you can still follow the literal steps.
>>
File: 1461600233813.jpg (50KB, 458x531px) Image search: [Google]
1461600233813.jpg
50KB, 458x531px
>>59479548
>the way I want to do it is the only way it should be done

in my experience graphical installers are always fucking borked. You also get little to no feedback on errors that occur and you're shit out of luck.

Whenever I install arch via CLI? works 100 percent of the time. No other OS has that track record for me and that's saying something. Also lighter install so I can chroot into my system quickly if I manage to fuck everything

If you're so assblasted people have other needs use arch anywhere and shut the fuck up

>>59479612
this. People who are this mad about it aren't going to use arch anyways so who gives a shit?
>>
>>59483623
I feel you.
>>
The beginner's guide was shit. Any so called guide for beginners written by people who are devs or programmers is shit, because they refer to stuff in abstract terms instead of FILE, DIRECTORY, LINE. It's literally the only thing you need to tell me.
You say "kernel parameter" - I say fuck you and find out on my own it's just a dumb fucking line in the grub.cfg... Jeez.
>>
>>59483742
Then just use arch/manjaro openRC faggot
>>
>>59485858
your experience is made up. you don't have a graphical installer that fucks up. you're lying on the internet for no reason whatsoever

arch users = retardos
>>
File: 1472466044390.gif (224KB, 323x221px) Image search: [Google]
1472466044390.gif
224KB, 323x221px
>>59485973
nice try anon

next time bring your A game
>>
>>59485858
The Most Autistic 13 Year Old In the Universe - The Post
>>
>>59485858
Just realized I replied to the wrong anon fug

>>59486030
So are you going to give any reason, or are you just shitposting?
>>
File: untitled.png (772KB, 1920x1004px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
772KB, 1920x1004px
>not using Windows XP
>>
>>59479029
>Architect
>Arch-anywhere
>>
What exactly is the difference between apt and pacman anyway?
>>
>>59486068
Fight me IRL nigger
>>
So whats the best choice for someone who wants a Linux distro that 'werks' but also wants to use a tiling WM like i3?
>>
>>59486104
Enjoy the malware
>>
>>59484939
Yours is one of the more silly statements I've come across. Defining someone as a "real developer" because of an operating system preference is stupid. There are proficient computer programmers using many different systems, including Linux Arch and Ubuntu.
>>
Why does the package manager make a difference? I've used both Arch and Ubuntu, and they both more-or-less work the same. Shit breaking on Arch is more of a report issue than a package manager issue, so why is there a war?
>>
>>59486248
Install ubuntu and then install i3
>>
>>59479153
You are not right. And your examples suck shits. *buntu anything is bad. Why? Look it up. Debian is better, but... Arch is WAY better.
>>
>>59479818
Debian is like this too, but without any fucking around.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.