[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Browser Memory Bloat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

>have browser open, normal usage
>couple GiB used
>accidentally generate huge sequence with seq
>quickly run out of memory and swap, bash crashes
>systemwide memory usage is now not even half a GiB
>check dmesg
>kernel swapped browser to disk and aggressively truncated memory
>browser now only using 400MiB mem+swap
>navigate through browser
>everything still smooth as usual despite using no memory
>all tabs and plugins functioning, meaning no process crashed
>couples minutes later browser starts eating memory again, seemingly for no reason
What the fuck do modern day browsers do with memory? It's not for performance, because as I just found out, they perform fine with just MiB of usage. Is this some kind of conspiracy?
>>
>>59475001
>What the fuck do modern day browsers do with memory?

cannot run xboxhueg javascript """""""""apps"""""""""" (which are every >modern website is technically) in 640kB
>>
File: cw.png (23KB, 628x600px) Image search: [Google]
cw.png
23KB, 628x600px
>>59475001
if you can't afford any decent amount of RAM that means you're a poorfag and you should exterminate yourself immediately
Also cached content is NOT bloat. Unused RAM Is wasted RAM.
KYS
>>
>>59475001
>What the fuck do modern day browsers do with memory?
Fucking dipshit, browsers load 16 times more complex pages these days unlike 12 years ago
>>
File: 1456518382216.jpg (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1456518382216.jpg
5KB, 205x246px
>>59475030
>___ GiB
>>
>>59475019
>>59475033
Why is this being forced on everyone? It should be opt in, not a "feature" of every shitty website and browser. I don't want to use 2 GiB of memory and download 10MB of javascript to read a single article of text.
>>59475030
I have more RAM than you, dumbass. 2x8 and you're calling me a poorfag?
>Unused RAM Is wasted RAM
Yes, and a memory leak is a feature, and code doesn't have to be written memory efficient.
>>
>>59475001
> stores most page shit on the ram
> nice and smooth compared to way back when websites were simple and didn't take much to load

Not to mention people also forget to factor in the small memory leaks from ublock origin and tamermonkey/noscript or w/e it is they use.
>>
>>59475077
Get uMatrix and block off the shit that uses "2 GiB" of memory.
>>
>>59475077
>I have more RAM than you, dumbass
apparently you're the only retarded dumbas here.
>2x8 and you're calling me a poorfag?
I said IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD DECENT AMOUNT OF RAM you're a poorfag.
Just end your life you retarded sack of shit nigger with down syndrome.
>and code doesn't have to be written memory efficient.
That's because developers today needs to write the code easily and efficiently instead of autistically optimizing every single thing. You probably newer worked in a gigantic project where time matters.
So please just stop posting and end your life. Please
>>
>>59475077
If you don't like browsers with """""high""""" RAM usage then quit using it. You didn't pay for any of these web browser software so you're definitely not allowed to complain, you little cancer.
>>
File: teeth.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
teeth.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
I don't understand this complaint about browsers. I see it all the time and in all my years the browser has never been the 500 lb gorilla weighing my system down.

I use Firefox on a seven year old Macbook and nothing ever freezes up. I can only conclude that it must be all the shit I block by default that fucks up the browser for other people. But why wouldn't you block?
>>
>>59475030
When hardware requirements start entering the conversation about web content, you know there's a problem.
>>
>>59475188
of course there is a problem. OP has autism and cares too much about ram use.
Basically he fell for a /g/ meme.
>>
>>59475090
I already do, doesn't change much, since many sites needs scripts to be usable anyway.
>>59475104
You have no argument, and your entire post is asinine spew.
>>
>>59475196
I agree that there's nothing wrong with caching on available memory, but I also think that websites should render without issue on machines with 256MB of RAM.
>>
>>59475001
nigga wheres Edge
>>
>>59475199
You don't think, you sperg about impossible things you have no idea about.
>>59475198
I've used 2 arguments in that post and you ignored both. That makes you look like a retard.
>>
>>59475250
I'm a different person from the guy you're having a pissing match with.
>>
>>59475287
doesn't matter, you got the same retarded point
>>
>>59475332
>It shouldn't take a ridiculous amount of memory to display hypertext
>retarded point
>>
>>59475352
>ridiculous amount of memory
>ridiculous
seems like your opinion. You know what happens to your opinions on this site, right?
>>
>>59475379
Not all opinions are created equal. Mine carry more weight than yours.

The average browsing experience does not take place on your autistic gaming rig. It's increasingly done on underpowered Chinese pieces of shit. Design your content accordingly.
>>
>>59475437
>Mine carry more weight than yours.
That's also an opinion. It's also discarded.
>Design your content accordingly.
Nobody gives a shit about ramlets like you. Period.
>>
>>59475449
I have 4 GiB of RAM son. I live like a king.

But when the vast majority of people are reading your site from a bloated pos OS like Android that is already using most of its memory running NSA analytics on its users, suddenly your nu male javascript "experience" doesn't look so hot.
>>
>>59475506
I can design my site to require at least 10 GiB of free memory if I wish. You don't pay for the privilege of accessing my content, so STOP COMPLAINING.
>>
>>59475537
w/e nerd. The second I see a "please turn on scripts" message, or more commonly these days, nothing at all, I just hit back and forget about it.
>>
>>59475587
again, you don't have to visit my site
>>
Is it really about the scripts? If I block them, will Opera stop eating 8GBs of RAM for 15 tabs?
>>
>>59475701
No.
Google's engine (which Opera uses now) is a broken piece of shit.
>>
>>59475715
Write your own browser :^)
>>
>>59475775
I actually already do use my own browsing method for non-interactive sites.

Basically I curl a URL, pipe that through a parser that whitelists only relevant elements (aka all adds, social media, etc is filtered out), then pipe that into a less command. The parser also writes every relevant hyperlink to a plaintext file on its own line, then annotates the link text with the line number in which it appears. So if I want to browse a linked site from within the body of the document I'm reading, I just use sed to echo the line number and feed that as an argument to curl and start the process over again.

It's not as limited as it sounds, since any video or image can also be referenced in this manner, and piped into a video or image player.
>>
>>59475179
95% ram used
16gb ram installed
3gb of ram not being used by chrome, it was easier to count it that way.

Literally can not open new programs as I have no ram, and if ram tries to cache, system performance goes to hell, cant close chrome entirely due to a few tabs that will be gone completely when re opened.
>>
>>59475841
Nice personal blog you got there
>>
>>59475970
I suggest you use Tabs Outliner. Great extension for managing tabs.
>>
>>59475678
You sound like 13, seriously >>>/v/
>>
Caching stuff in RAM is much faster than downloading it over and over again you retards, that's what browsers use all the RAM for.
>>
File: Screenshot_from_20170319_145618.png (254KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_from_20170319_145618.png
254KB, 1366x768px
>>59475001
You're using the wrong browser with the wrong OS.

Midori on Solus, 10 tabs open and the whole system is using 800MB ram.

>inb4 unused ram is wasted ram
No. Wasted ram is wasted ram, ram which could be used when multitasking.
>>
Meanwhile...

>FF vs Chrome - 30 Random sites
https://webmshare.com/play/KBm8v
>FF vs Chrome - 11 News sites
https://webmshare.com/play/Meo8O
>FF vs Chrome - 40+ Instagram profiles on Windows
https://webmshare.com/play/Wn1GD
>FF vs Chrome - 40+ Instagram profiles on Arch Linux
https://webmshare.com/play/6wK0n
>FF vs Chrome on bad machine (2core/2thread - 2GB RAM)
https://webmshare.com/play/gBdJb
>FF vs Chrome with uBlock
https://webmshare.com/play/RAE86
>>
>>59475104
>defending memory leaks
kek
>>
>>59476397
These are outdated as fuck. (Besides, who opens 30+ tabs at once?)
>>
I don't care about RAM. My FF eats precious CPU cycles though
This is what's triggering me. I have 250 tabs open and the fucking thing crawls
>>
>>59476262
>linux
kys familia.
>>
>>59475001
why is chrome blue instead of IE?
>>
>>59477461
I'm pretty sure I moved few sperg units on autism scale just by reading that post.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.