[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-Readers, E-ink What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 14

E-Readers, E-ink

What went wrong?
>>
>>59473397
Nothing? They are still great to use.

The main problem is most people are too stupid to read, and half of those that do are too stupid to realize the benefits of using an ereader.

I know a bunch of people that read on their phones or ipads wasting battery life and killing their eyes. There are then also the people that refuse to get one because they like the physical feel and all that, which we can agree on to a certain extent but its so much more comfortable and handy to use a reader.

My only real gripe is book prices. I'm pretty sick of shit being $10+ for digital when its $5 for a new paperback.
>>
nothing. they're way better than shitty lcd panels
>>
>>59473397
Amazon and Barnes and Noble tried to outjew the electronic Jew.
>>
>>59473397
>E-Readers
not big enough, not high enough resolution

>E-ink
too expensive for what it is to use generally
>>
>>59473397
So tired of people asking what went wrong.
Nothing is wrong. Everything is fine.
>>
>>59473462
>>59473449
>>59473432
>>59473415
Is a Kobo glo still good, I can get one for about 30 bucks? The Aura edition 2 is $120 and has the same resolution.

I want to use it for manga as well.
>>
AMOLED displays on phones basically made them obsolete.
>>
I love my Kindle. The only flaw I could nitpick with mine is that it charges via micro USB instead of type c, but IDK if type c was even out when I bought my kindle.
>>
>>59473397
Price
>>
>>59473495
>I don't understand the point of an e-reader: the post
The point isn't the black levels or anything. The point is that you have a device that can last for like a month on a single charge, has a matte screen, and it's actually separate from your phone/tablet so there's no temptation to press the home button and do something else. I'm sure it's all down to placebo or whatever, but I find it way easier to just sit down and read on my kindle and read an entire chapter of a book or more while if I did that on my phone or computer, I'd be constantly switching between the web browser and the kindle app.
>>
>>59473551
This. The difference in price between an ereader and a tablet is small, and a tablet can do far more than an ereader.

Ereaders should be $30 max if they wanted to sell.
>>
>>59473564
yeah but you can take out your phone and check it and browse 4Chan and Reddit instead of reading the book while you're reading on your ereader
>>
>>59473397
Their ink is black. Useless as niggers.
>>
>>59473397
it's a niche market.
like portable gaming.
nobody buys dedicated portable gaming machines anymore.
>>
>>59473579
True, but at least for me, it's easier to put my phone away and just focus on the e reader. It's a pretty subjective thing though, if you can stay focused while reading on a phone/tablet/laptop, there isn't much reason to own an e reader.
>>
>>59473575
the difference is battery life.
these things are ultra low powered.
>>
>>59473564
multi window. i too have an inability to focus. keep your junk food browsing and productive stuff open at the same time. it actually works wonders for me.
>>
>>59473564
The point was for it to look like paper books for less eye fatigue while reading.
>>
>>59473397
>What went wrong?
friendly reminder the patent runs out this year.
expect new, better, cheaper e-readers soon(((tm))))
>>
>>59473625
>i don't know what the fuck I am talking about, the post
>>
>>59474115
how are the sales of the psp doing?
besides Nintendo, what other portable gaming system is doing great?
>>
>>59473495
E-ink display >>>>> Amoled

Amoled is fine if you also want to watch video's, but it's not great for reading.
>>
>>59473473
Kobo is shit for manga
>>
>>59474164

PSP sold 80 million.

Vita sold 15 million.
>>
>>59473564
>I don't understand the point of an e-reader: Part 2 electric boogaloo

The point is that with e-readers you don't have millions of pixels beaming light directly into your eyes, turning on and off 60 times per second (e-ink "sticks" to the screen, so to speak, it's not constantly refreshing) and fucking your eyes up in the process.
>>
Nothing. They're good tech, except for the fact that nearly all of them are relatively locked down. But that goes for most portable tech.

But they were also kind of perfected years ago: there's only so much that you can add to make displaying text better. Resolution doesn't really matter past a certain point (1024x768 or so on a 6" screen, 800x600 isn't even that bad unless you want to use really small fonts), the frontlight was the last truly great addition.

They still kind of suck for PDF:s or comics unless you get some rarer, bigger model (I wouldn't even consider 8" enough myself because having to zoom sucks, should be near 10"). This is unlikely to change: the problem isn't really in the tech itself, just in the fact that you need a 10" to make a page comfortable to read without zooming.
>>
I'm thinking of getting a kobo glo hd. Is the extra pixels on Aura One worth the extra money?
>>
>>59475770
>Resolution doesn't really matter past a certain point (1024x768 or so on a 6" screen, 800x600 isn't even that bad unless you want to use really small fonts)
so why do phones at 5" have 1440p resolutions...?

>>59475620
what would you recommend then?
>>
>>59475809
Personally I go with Kobo but if you go Kindle, you can just Calibre everything
>>
>>59475809
>so why do phones at 5" have 1440p resolutions...?
I don't know, I don't really find that necessary either? One reason is that phones are used for a variety of things, displaying a page of text isn't really the point of the screens, no? It may be more noticeable with some graphics, high res pictures, etc.

I also view things far smaller on my phone than on my e-reader, mostly because I tend to not read for hours on my phone, so eye fatigue doesn't become a problem as easily.

E-readers are used to display text. With text, at normal font sizes, resolution becomes pretty irrelevant at some point.
>>
>>59475770

I have a paperwhite 2 and the frontlight is atrocious.

Wont be buying a frontlit device next time.
>>
>>59475895
Not like you have to use it, but it is much better than most other ways of reading in the dark.
>>
>>59475909

The contrast sucks compared to my old reader when the frontlight is off.
>>
>>59475920
I see. I've only used Kobo and old Kindles myself, on it it was very neat.
>>
I'm looking for an ereader. Must have:

.epub support
memory card slot and/or decent internal storage
e-ink
built in reading light
touchscreen (as few physical buttons as possible)

Does this exist? Price isn't the biggest deal.
>>
Nothing, they're great.

You only really need to buy one though.
>>
>>59473473
Kobos are fine for manga, main consideration is screen size.
The glo is still good. Mine still works and I bought it godknows how long ago.
>>
>>59476070
Even the cheapest and shittiest kobo has all that. Are you retarded?
>>
>>59476070
See, Im the opposite. Id rather have buttons for page turning.
>>
>>59473397
They made them all locked down, walled garden, DRM encumbered pieces of shit. Then Tablets became widely available and instead of making e-readers better, they started trying to put ads on them

So people just bought tablets instead.
>>
>>59473397

1) devices are slow
2) displays are low resolution

Got a manga out,
device is 122 x 91
manga is 180x128

dpi is 600 for pritning as a usual thing so the display if it was manga sized needs to be 4140 x 2944
fuck knows my display is FAR smaller then this, so it automaticly makes it not fit for many purpouses

3) color e ink never took off which if the resolution was big enough and the display big enough could have replaced any forms of printing

4) because everyone wants this shit on the go, larger format sizes were never used makeing the one that exists over 1000$

5) because of every fucking ereader was put out by someone with a vested interest in a store, the devices are so goddamn incompatible with shit that its not even funny. an example is I wanted to make ebooks of long stories I read online, due to how incompatible the fucking things are and how little documentation there is, It turned into a multi month long bulshit fest where no one was willing to help me figure shit out, and in turn turned into such a pain in the dick I stopped doing it, killing all use I had for the e reader in the first place.

I honestly love the concept of e readers, I would buy a e paper monitor just for reading if I could, but lets be real, the technology was adopted by people who don't want something interesting, and its to costly to make niche products with it.
>>
>>59473473
>Is a Kobo glo still good
Yes.
Mine had been going strong for the past 4 or more years until I dropped it that one time too many.

Now it's time for a replacement as the screen has become unresponsive in the top corners. Fucking pissed as I've used it nearly every day since I got it.

Last drop didn't kill it outright, just made it frustrating to use at times.

The new kobo model, big one, has a neat whitebalance adaptive feature for the light so it turns reddish in low light so you don't have a harsh bluish light blasting you if you're reading in the dark or low light.

One thing about the glow, being so old, it does have that harsh bluish light.
>>
>>59473397
Producers only targeted consumer markets and not business/industry. This meant there was no point in making the technology cheaper because it would devalue their products and so this is why there is only 1 $800 13.3" ereader which you can actually use for pdfs. I ain't gonna pay for that shit but a company would.

Yeah they outjewed themselves
>>
>>59476200
>They made them all locked down, walled garden, DRM encumbered pieces of shit.

You can sideload lots of different stuff on an old model Kindle. That's all I've ever played with, but you are right that the entire eBook market is a clusterfuck of shitty DRM bullshit.

>>59476218
> lets be real, the technology was adopted by people who don't want something interesting, and its to costly to make niche products with it.

I've come to the realization that the DRM makes the stupid paying customers believe that they are getting something that is actually exclusive.
>>
>>59476530
>I've come to the realization that the DRM makes the stupid paying customers believe that they are getting something that is actually exclusive.
As far as Amazon goes, their store is pretty cheap (in the sense that it comes cheaper than buying physical books) and very easy to use right on the devices. I doubt it is anything deeper than that, pirating books can be an actual hassle and using a centralized store is also more convenient than going to every publishers website.

As for Kobo, I would imagine most people buying Kobo are doing it largely to put their own books in: their store really sucks, even if I were to accept the DRM and so on, it would be bad and expensive.

Also, pretty much all e-readers allow you to "sideload" books into them. Either in the right format or with automatic conversion by calibre or similar programs. It has never been prevented by Kindles or any other models as far as I know. They're not THAT locked. They're mostly locked down if you want to do something more than read books on them.
>>
File: 04660041.jpg (28KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
04660041.jpg
28KB, 720x480px
I bought one for christmas (Kobo Glo HD), already read 7 books.
They're doing fine. Wasn't there a patent around them that ran out recently?
>>
>>59475620
My kobo aura h20 is great for manga.
Micro sd card slot, which I've put a 64gb card in. I have over 40 gb on my kobo of manga.

the screen is great. I've never read a manga and can't see what I'm looking at. Everything is sharp etc.

it's built like a tank and waterproof

I got mine on ebay for £80 brand new. (Lucky I guess as they go for more on amazon)
>>
>>59476705
I've never read a manga and thought this looks shit*
>>
Why not just use phone ? Android have a lot of amazing manga readers and epub reader,
Tachiyomi for example
>>
>>59473397
digital books are sold at 10 cents less than physical books.
>>
>>59476768
are you blind or something?
>>
>>59476899
>Buying digital formats
>>
Amazon Paperwhite + Calibre, no complaints.

Its USP is actually for people who are never going to post here. You start getting long-sighted and the ability to change the text size and actually hold the 'book' at a comfortable distance is a huge deal.

This is why the over-50s love ereaders if you hadn't figured it out.
>>
>>59473495
>it's another episode of a tripfag derailing the thread

Go play some Zelda on your shitty emulator after destroying your eyes from reading on a phone screen but make sure to kill yourself somewhere inbetween
>>
File: 1445711577073.jpg (20KB, 255x256px) Image search: [Google]
1445711577073.jpg
20KB, 255x256px
I just like having physical books in my bookshelf.

They look and feel so much better and books with good backs and good covers can really lighten up a room.

An eReader just kinda sits there. Reading a book is an experience and anything electronical just ruins it.
>>
The problem is that most of them are locked down to their specific manufacturer.
I guess one way would be to make one out of a raspb pi and other parts on ebay or something.
>>
>>59477505
If by 'most of' you mean 'only kindle' then yes
>>
>>59477481
Yeah well tell me that when you need to cut down a few 700 page textbooks in a month or so.

Having all of them in storage and having a big screen is great when you need to read a lot of things in a hurry
>>
>>59477481
>They look and feel so much better
Mine are 500-900+ pages, its no fun to hold

i need a good e-ink reader, cmone /g/
>>
>>59473564
>turn on backlight to make it not look like cheap grey gazette paper
>it now has the same life s a phone in airplane mode
noice
>>
/r/ecommend me /g/

I'm using an old Prestigio PER5162B and I think of buying a new reader.
I don't care about HD and shit, I'm fine with what resolution I have (800×600). I definitely need a lower response time though. Waiting for the next page to load is the major annoyance, (along with the weird shit that happens with the screen in low temperatures).
I don't need any fancy Kindle™ Support Programs. I just download my shit, plug the reader in and copy. My Prestigio has a WiFi but I've never used it.
I'd never had anything touchscreen before I bought that reader, that's why I picked keyboard. I thought a touchscreen would break easily, lol. I'd go for a touchscreen this time but it doesn't really matter. Lighting is optional. I've had a few situations when it would be handy but that's seldom.

Wiki chart is 3 years old.
>>
>>59477481
...reading the eBook doesn't mean you can't buy the physical book
>>
File: 1487165646231.png (655KB, 740x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487165646231.png
655KB, 740x720px
>>59473564
>and it's actually separate from your phone/tablet so there's no temptation to press the home button and do something else
>getting distracted this easily
>>
>>59477531
>need to cut down a few 700 page textbooks
>studying in a country where teachers are cunts
>>
>>59473397
Nothing went wrong. Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>59477505
Kobo is not locked.
>>
>>59477714
Not him but CS student here
>Operating Systems course
>first lecture
>9 slides of textbooks
>pick one random
>1k pages

>first class
>assignment: 3 screens of just what to do, deadline is next week
>end up with 1k lines of code in plain C
>everybody complains they weren't even given any tutorial on what they're supposed to do
>teachers just redirect to the 9 slides of textbooks
>repeat the whole semester every week
>there's also a project

you both are fags
>>
>>59473415
>My only real gripe is book prices. I'm pretty sick of shit being $10+ for digital when its $5 for a new paperback.

Lib Gen
>>
>>59477567
Get a paperwhite and install calibre to convert your shit. Honestly, I did this for a year already and I never encountered a single issue.
If you want to read custom stuff, jailbreak your device, it's super easy.
>>
>>59477701
Well yeah, buying a plane doesn't mean I can't buy a boat, but as a normal functioning member of society why would I do both.
>>
People don't read.
>>
refresh rate of e-ink. they would be so much better if it didn't take the screen 1-2s to update fully.
>>
>>59478151
Mine takes less than a second.
It'd get annoying for manga but they're all 6" and too small for that.
>>
>>59475526
wtf i love e-ink now
>>
Why isn't there an e-ink monitor?

I want one for gaming and web browsing.
>>
>>59473397
Once again, retarded patent, trademark and copyright laws ruin everything. Expensive devices, expensive books, bullshit DRM, no competition, limited aftermarket.
>>
Which is the best one for PDFs? I've heard that most readers struggle with those.
>>
>>59473397
>e-books are not dirt cheap
Many times there's not much difference with the physical copy.
>e-readers are not dirt cheap
The technology they pack is ludicrously cheap; they are cheap products made out of cheap plastic, but they're often sold like they were military-grade technology.
>use experience
They come with downsides: turning page is not instantaneous, and you're going to turn pages more than physical books due to the form factor of e-readers. They also don't give you the same feels of handling a book: for someone it might be deal breaking.
>having an e-book isn't like owning a book
Books, being physical objects, are collectible items: having a library full of books you've read and loved is an added value that physical copies can give you.
>e-books are usually not bundled with physical books
If you could own both copies for just a slightly higher price you could keep the book at home and read it there, and still be able to enjoy it while on the move.
>>
>>59478410
>monitor
but there is: DASUNG Paperlike
>>
File: 1388490357119.jpg (93KB, 498x580px) Image search: [Google]
1388490357119.jpg
93KB, 498x580px
>>59478410
>e-ink
>for gaming
>>
E-ink readers are the shit, if you actually wanna read books. Awesome battery life, no distractions, and if I drop my Kindle when I doze I don't Shit myself. I used to use my phone or tablet, the battery would run out and I'd always worry about dozing and dropping. If I break my Kindle no big deal, bought it at a yard sale.
>>
File: 1465599715271.jpg (24KB, 480x476px) Image search: [Google]
1465599715271.jpg
24KB, 480x476px
You all say E-Readers are so great, well, recommend me a cheap and decent one.
>>
...also I don't buy the DRM shit... I just find PDFs of books, mostly tech, it works great... after you get rid of all the stupid fluff they put in there there's that much more room. Now that I've used these e-ink readers I'd spring for the extra Co$t but not so initially.
>>
EBay an old assed Kindle or nook. I have both. The nook is back-lit which is nice. I personally like the side buttons for turning pages on the old Kindle.
>>
can you still buy kindle books > Remove drm > and refund the money
>>
>>59478963
Actually, E-ink can be overclocked to 30Hz, console quality gaming.
>>
>>59473415

>buying books
lmfao. my only regret is i had to pay for the kindle itself.
>>
File: 1360733679243.jpg (15KB, 390x382px) Image search: [Google]
1360733679243.jpg
15KB, 390x382px
>>59473495
>tripfag being a complete retard
I'm not surprised
>>
After having an e-ink reader I'd be willing to pay up to $70-100 depending on condition etc.
>>
Got a kindle 3 WiFi second hand for 40 dollars, broke it, now bought a WiFi 3 again for 35 dollars, again second hand, going strong
>>
>>59479460
You could get a new one for that
>>
>>59479448
Amoled displays consume less electricity when displaying black pixels (ie completely off). Reading your shitty third-rate novels on a black background (font can be any color) will extend your reading battery life significantly.

Point is you reading on your phone with an amoled display will consume very little battery life if you do what I said above.

It makes no sense to have an e-reader anymore especially when most modern phones can be recharged to 60% in 30 minutes.
>>
I wish they made more that were actual book sized. I have a nook, and it's awkward to hold because it's not like an actual book in the slightest. It's basically an oversized coaster.
>>
>>59474014
More of this?
>>
>>59479791
Battery life is the least of advantages that an e-reader offers, you absolute faggot. Do you even know what an e-reader is?
>reading with a black background
holy shit, kek
>>
>>59479844
>Battery life is the least of advantages that an e-reader offers, you absolute faggot. Do you even know what an e-reader is?
I know about the reduced eye-strain and improved readability in sunlight you fuckstick but you get this benefit on an amoled display as well.

>>reading with a black background
>holy shit, kek
Your font can LITERALLY be any fucking color you want. Is there honestly really no font color + black background that you like?
>>
>>59476070
there are some industrial grade devices out there, but they also have industrial grade prices.
Saw one which had a full DINA4 screen and everything else, but was priced around 700
>>
>>59477643
bump
>>
Too expensive.

One would assume a cheaper layer screen used for black/white e-ink would be cheaper, but due to greed, they jacked up the prices to preposterous levels. This makes the e-ink devices into a rich fags only utility instead of capitalizing it and making it en-mass.

They chose this route to create a sense of worth (similar to Apple brand).
>>
>>59473397

Questions:

1. Are there any Manga-"apps" on E-readers?

2. Can an E-reader show picture format like JPEG, PNG?

Started reading on a tablet and i realized how much it fucking sucks.
>>
>>59480459
e-readers sucks with pictures.
Even simple formulas and diagrams are too much for most.
>>
>>59475664
Vita was a locked down piece of shit. Sony killed it with DRM.
>>
>>59473415
>most people are too stupid to read

this

i'm so fucking sick of EVERYTHING being video now.

you can't even go anywhere to read the news, everything's a fucking gay ass fucking video.
>>
Opinions on PocketBook Basic 2?
>>
>>59479881

Not the guy you were replying to

Reading off a black background fucks me up completely. I get eye strain and when I stop reading it feels like I am going blind. It's a terrible choice.

The good thing with e-readers is the battery life.
>But you can recharge your phone to 60% in 30 minutes

Yeah, but I also want to maximize the battery life on my phone so that I don't have to have it charging every five minutes. Modern smartphones are cancer with sub 1-day battery life.

E-Readers also make it a lot easier and less straining to read. If you've never used one for a longer period of time you don't understand. It's like reading off a book, and I'm pretty sure the only reason you advocate for amoled is because you've never used an e-ink display.

>>59480459
You don't need apps, you just load the manga up in .pdf or whatever format it is in and start reading.
>>
>>59479718
Exactly my point. After using a second hand one I've become a huge fan. I'd now be willing to pay full price.
>>
>>59479445

if you don't need a brand new kindle, used paperwhites just cost a small box of nickels on ebay. $30 + libgen and IRC for your epubs is the best way to read books these days.
>>
>>59480459
As far as pictures on the Kindle, it's black and white, but JPEG for sure possibly other formats.
>>
>>59473397
For me. Nothing. I'm using a Kindle Touch, and i never thought i would have loved that so much.

My only wish was for an A4 sized reader.
>>
>>59480803
Video is absolutely useless especially if you're attempting to something slightly more complex than microwave TV dinners. Takes way longer to learn the same information, I submit it's a factor of 20 times longer. Like a dumbass I paid for a video course for some shit and completely went insane trying to sit through that crap. The following day I bought a book of eBay.
>>
>>59480135
Luckily the patent will die soon and the reader will likely lose like 40-60% of their pricetag in a few months.

A true electronic notebook, with some cheap digitizer and a 10" screen will hopefully come after. I would kill for such a device which didn't cost more than 300 bucks.

>>59480459
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Read-Manga-On-Your-Kindle/
Keep in mind most screens are rather small, so they'll invariably slightly smaller than a manga, with all the size issues that brings. That said, I read Liar Game in my old, almost broken kindle without much issue. Colour spreads not being in colour sucks, but I was carrying the whole 19 volumes with me at all times, so that's always a big plus.

I would say don't pirate as kindle actually sells some Manga optimized for it, but /g/ takes that as an insult to their autism or something.
>>
>>59474014
Wicked!
>>
>>59476191
Agree with you on that. I have a touch and one with the buttons. Buttons I like better, the touch does stupid crap when I don't want it to.
>>
>>59477827
You actually read those books? Professors make bibliographies as long as possible just to prop each other up.
>>
Too small, garbage software they came with never let you do anything but read simple-formatted Mobi/ePub files with barely any more functionality than a phone or tablet and never intelligently reformatted PDF files

And don't say "just convert it with Calibre" that program is absolute dogshit and runs like molasses coated in tar on a glacier and the idiot dev refuses to put DOC support in which defeats the point of the program in the first place
>>
>>59481100
>You actually read those books?
First lecture was two weeks ago. I'm not a god.
>>
>>59479791
Except the fact that reading sucks on a phone, especially when I have to keep recharging it.
>>
>>59473397
>E-Readers
For for casual fiction trash readers, poor for the geek crowd: lack of real PDF support, lack of screen space (outside of $300 top end), lack of control.

>E-ink
See above. Many text books today use good amounts of color.
>>
>>59480975
That would be neat
>>
>>59474014
>>59480999
Wait, so what's that about the patent? Does it mean the prices will drop significantly, so I should wait before buying my first ereader if I'm tight on budget?
>>
>>59473397
they are worthless
>>59473415
this is an example of a moron
>>
>>59473397
they are incredible
>>59481192
this is an example of a moron
>>
>>59473397
black and white stuff and as i mainly read stuff about art i need color sometimes.
also as an arts student i'm too poor to afford a decent ereader.
>>
Can someone link this patent? I feel like I've been reading the same shit about it expiring for years.
>>
>>59479791
for fucks sake you gotta be the biggest retard on this board right now.
>reading on a black background
bet you also only drink water when it's raining on your mouth
>>
>>59473415
>My only real gripe is book prices.
>Not using #bookz
What a pleb.
>>
>>59480791
>killed it with DRM
Don't kid yourself. Devs dropped PSP support like yesterday's newspaper once it was cracked. The only people that bought it afterwards were japs and pirates.
>>
>>59473397
They are good, that's the problem.

There is not much room for improvement. I still use my Kindle 4 from 5 years ago, and I will continue to use it until it breaks and I have to buy another one.
>>
>>59481934
Main problem right now is the absolute idiodicy of not allowing sd cards and larger than 4gb capacity for kindles. Large collections of manga or comics destroys carrying capacity of said kindles. Also color E-ink screens are going to come to fruition within the next 2 years for good prices.
>>
>>59482077
Most of the time, that is intentional due to a vested interest by the business side. They put these artificial limits into place to force you to be dependent on their "cloud" services instead of lugging your library with you. There is no good reason portable devices today sport the dinky storage volumes they do.
>>
>>59473397
Price for what it is.
Software in most of them.
>>
>>59478528
the highest resolution one, which are still far too expensive.
>>
>>59482077
Amazon doesn't market their devices towards Weeaboos but I've seen other E-readers with micro-sd slot in the past, not sure if those were by Kobo or another brand tho.
>>
File: 1445373305000_IMG_527730.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445373305000_IMG_527730.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>59477567
Get a dpt-s1. I've ha d mine for 18 months or so now and it's been great.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product out of stock here maybe try ebay.
>>
>>59483265
That thing looks like the gate to being able to read PDF the right way.
>>
File: remarkable-frontpage.jpg (101KB, 1440x1008px) Image search: [Google]
remarkable-frontpage.jpg
101KB, 1440x1008px
This device has everything I want except for a reasonable pricetag.

https://getremarkable.com/
>>
>>59480922

is paperwhite an lcd panel?
>>
>>59473397
Go to London and see if you can say that statement again.
>>
For whatever reason I don't retain as much information when I read something on an e-reader compared to reading the physical book.

It might be all in my head but I'll typically buy a physical copy if I'm actually trying to learn something.
>>
File: 1386920459353.png (13KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
1386920459353.png
13KB, 426x364px
Is the Kobo Aura H2O the best ereader in the market that has a frontlight? I wanted a Aura One but its been out of stock since release.

If not, what would you recommend? I only really read in bed at night so portability and water/dust proof isnt the meme for me. I would be downloading all my own ebooks via torrents or Overdrive.

pic related, my current setup
>>
>>59477481

take the /minimalism/ pill brah.

i hate the idea of having to store shit tons of books I have already read.
>>
I have an e-reader, but I still like checking books out from the library. Although, they do have a decent e-book collection now. I don't like how e-book readers feel.
>>
>>59484527
just get a tablet dude
>>
>>59473397
We're pretty much at the limits of the tech now... To get eink any more advanced, we'd need to scale up production to bring prices down... and thats hard to do when most people would rather pay 3-6x as much for a full spec'd tablet.

Honestly, if you have *ANY* e-reader, odds are you dont really need to upgrade unless the battery no longer holds a charge. Even the backilite upgrades are kinda not needed, since its not like you could read regular books in the dark anyway.

I have a kindle 3, a PRS-505 and a PRS-600. The PRS-505 is imo the best ereader put out(though the T1 might be better. Better features, still feels premium, but lacks the physical buttons)
>>
>>59481441
Server?
>>
Kobo + pirated epubs + calibre = god tier
>>
>>59486445
Hirc highway
>>
Is the 7.8 inch kobo the best e reader? Why all the rest only 6 inch? Seems very small.
>>
File: mf.jpg (12KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
mf.jpg
12KB, 260x194px
>>59486536
>>
>>59488680
>>59486536
Which Kobo?
>>
>>59488707
I use the kobo aura one
>>
>>59476530
>you can sideload

Irrelevant to 90% of users who don't even look at settings and stuff. If it's shit by default it's shit period, even if power users can make it less shit.
>>
are the screens on kobos the same as on paperwhites?
>>
>>59485156
Aura one is available on eBay and at indigo
>>
File: cloner.gif (3MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
cloner.gif
3MB, 540x540px
>>59473397
I find mine super useful for reading the tonnes of pdfs I need to get through. Doesn't cost me anything, light to carry, battery life is +++. They're kinda good actually?
>>
>>59481185
>Does it mean the prices will drop significantly
it means competition, thus more companies can make their own e-readers and prices will drop.
>>
>>59490351
Kindle will still cost a fuckload, people will still buy those , and it will take time for chink e-readers to catch on
>>
>>59473397
Normies bought tablets and think they no longer need a reader even if it is the surperior reading experience
Also normies don't read
The price is also a big factor
>>
>>59473397
ask wacom and their patents on e-ink tech. that's what went wrong, shit's expensive as fugg
>>
I upgraded my kobo glo HD to a new version of KOreader and it's simply awesome. Now the text reorganization doesn't fuck your shit up. That means you can comfortably read pdfs with two columns of text. Honestly I would have returned this shit the next day if koreader wasn't a thing.
>>
>>59473397
anyone that reads knows eink is GOAT
the problem is there is a lot of comic and pdf fags that care less to nothing about reading, and they only want to read magazines

also the chink tablet market have destroyed ebook prices... you can get a fairly decent tablet for 90$, while the 90$ ebook reader is trash
>>
>>59473397
For $100 I can have most of the information that I need in an apocalypse scenario on something that can be powered with a 3 inch solar panel.
And read books until then.
>>
>>59473397
Nothing. The only downside (for manufacturers) is that they're not a device that needs to be upgraded every year
>>
>>59487557
You're just reading text, dumb dumb. 6" is fine

>that's what she said
>>
is paperwhite the best ereader available at around $100?
>>
>>59485410
I find physical books to be much more minimalistic, and I borrow most of them from the library

You have to charge an ereader, update it, transfer your books, maybe even manage an online account depending on the brand

Book is just there, you read it, you put it back on the shelf or bring it back to the library and get a new one, you're done. No charging, no updates, no accounts

Very minimalist
>>
>>59494757
Yea. Get the one with ads if you want, never connect it to internet I.e. airplane mode (so you don't get the ads), pirate your books, convert with Calibre if needed, side load.

Or use it normally and pay, I guess
>>
>>59476070
Tolino Shine, got one. Got all features you listed, about 170€
>>
>>59494784
I'll read a book in 1 or 2 nights. Try carrying that amount of books on a 2-3 week international holiday. I run a 6000+ book Calibre server with dyndns link so I can get additional books no matter where I am. My wife's kindle lasts a month per charge and my android/windos tablet allows me to read books and update her kindle.

I am sooo fuckin grateful for technology.
>>
yotaphone - android phone with e-ink display on rear. superb concept
>>
>>59486536
Can I use my own cloud?
>>
>>59496931
Just get a microSD and store all your books locally
>>
>>59496942
Which Kobo reader allows microSD? Everything I've looked at doesn't seem to mention that.
>>
>>59495037
It was old though, so I got myself a rn3p
>>
>>59497220
All of them nigga

Many of them have TWO. Last time I checked they all at least had an internal microSD slot. The internal storage is a microSD slot, and there's usually one on the outside too.
>>
>>59484568
No, a e-ink with lights shining on it
>>
>>59497250
Aura One only has internal storage.
>>
>>59485156
I tried different setups with computer and a bed, and each one of them ended with a back pain.
Even if I switched the sides on which the laptop was on, left, right, in front of me (me laying on my back or belly).
Nothing beats a good chair. Well, maybe a standing desk if your back is too fucked for chairs.
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.