[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lua or Moonscript

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: lua.gif (5KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
lua.gif
5KB, 256x255px
Lua is beautiful, and moonscript tries to make it better.
Have you used them ? Any opinion on it ?
>>
yeah they can make roblox games so thats pretty cool
>>
>>59469299
>and moonscript tries to make it better.
>language to language compiler for a embedded, custom API scripting language, i.e. where you could get away with your own, better fitted VM and host API
not a smart move
>>
File: letmetellyouharuhi.jpg (93KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
letmetellyouharuhi.jpg
93KB, 720x720px
Lua actually offers everything python claims to offer, minus all the terrible disgusting baggage and inconsistencies python will never be able to shake.
But when Guile exists and everything GNU is starting to use it, there's really no reason to use/learn anything else.
>>
File: reality.png (740KB, 1834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reality.png
740KB, 1834x1200px
>>59469971
>Lua actually offers everything python claims to offer, minus all the terrible disgusting baggage and inconsistencies python will never be able to shake.
Minus an actually working standard library. Then again, using stand alone interpreters before insanely fast compiling to-go compilers is a retarded idea anyway.
>>
moonscript misses the point of what made Lua good (simplicity, good design choices, minimalism...) then makes some crazy syntax and adds a lot of syntax sugar... all so you can do things you already could do in lua. same for coffeescript.
languages that "improve" other languages was a mistake
>>
>>59470088
More so if they are language to language compilers and they add nothing but a small syntactical improvement to an environment that is garbage in all other ways as well.
>>
>>59469299
Lua will never be a general purpose language
>>
>>59470148
/thread
>>
>>59469299
the standard C++ scripting language.
>>
>>59470148
the concept of a `general purpose language' is pretty misguided
good languages often get that way by adhering to a specific domain
ones that try to be and do everything are usually shit
that said, if there ever was a decent general purpose language, lua comes close
>>
>>59470561
>if there ever was a decent general purpose language
I dunno, BASIC?
>>
>>59470732
the real answer is lisp
but that's only because it's strictly adhered to specific domain is that of language construction itself
you use it to write a specific language geared to solve the problem at hand
this sort of confounds the concepts of generic and meta though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.