[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vr os

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: ed.gif (944KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
ed.gif
944KB, 500x350px
alright /g/ I need to scratch an itch for a project to brainstorm on

>os from the ground up for vr
>get rid of our physical monitors
>boot into vr environment
>display drivers at boot time going straight to usb vr headset
>ar scan of keyboard as reference for your hands???

I keep thinking of the setup ed had in cowboy bebop. There are some projects out there trying this out but Ive only seen applications that launch once youre in your regular os, seems to defeat the purpose.

How would you get this project off the ground?
>>
You're fucking retarded. There is no reason a VR frontend to an OS requires a completely new OS. If you're completely serious about this, I'd recommend contributing to existing VR integration projects. The VR community needs less fragmentation as it is and a whole new OS specifically for VR would get nowhere.
>>
>>59461176
that's honestly the answer i was looking for. it seems like overkill.

any solid projects out there right now?
>>
Nope not progressive enough, forget the keyboard. Let's make your eyes control everything. So a circle keyboard would pop up and you have to look up a certain way and hover on the letter for a second or so before it types it. So it would take an hour to write one sentence and your eyes would fall out. Just blame the users for not doing it right
>>
>>59461207
http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/
>>
File: howitfeels.gif (1MB, 469x260px) Image search: [Google]
howitfeels.gif
1MB, 469x260px
>>59461210
>use my product the right way
>>
>>59461156
There is no need to do this at the OS level. Linux with autologin and autostart for your application and it's prerequisites will get rid of the necessity of clicking on shit you feel so invested in removing. What are you proposing would be best implemented as one of the following:

1. A new display server for Linux. Like X, but displays windows floating in 3D, with options to display things as things other than windows if the application supports it.

2. A new desktop environment for X. You could probably molest the X window server even further at the desktop environment level to make it do something vaguely similar to what you want. I don't know a lot about this and I absolutely would not recommend it, but it can probably be done.

3. An application that sits on top of X. Similar to how a web browser is an application within the display server that displays several sub "programs" (web pages), you could implement your idea as a program that implements some kind of standard interface with smaller programs like web pages that it would run internally.

Hint: Choose option 3. If you weren't aware that this didn't need to be done at the OS level, there is no way you know enough to play the fun and games that is designing and implementing a whole new display server.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.