[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can I build a processor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: thinking.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
53KB, 256x256px
how can I build a processor?
>>
>>59459579
How many digits are there in your bank balance?
>>
Solder
>>
>>59459579
You can implement a microprocessor on an FPGA, but it would probably be pretty fucking shit.
Then you have to issue with how you're going to build an FPGA.
>>
>>59459579
Assuming you actually wanted to build a relatively modern processor, this is roughly how you'd do it:

First you need an instruction set you're permitted to use. You basically have four options:
1. Pay Intel enough money to buy the sun for an x86 license.
2. License ARM.
3. Wait for RISC-V to be done.
4. There's also OpenRISC, which comes with a full processor design.
RISC-V or OpenRISC is obviously the least expensive option, and lord knows you're going to need to that money later.

Great, now you've got an instruction set! Now you need a design. You can probably pinch some bits from the designs that will/do come with RISC-V or the designs/design components that are available online as open source (Or just use OpenRISC 1000). Sooner or later though, you're probably going to need to write some yourself, which is going to require a truckload of software, much of it very expensive (I think this might come with the next step, not sure).

Now you've got a CPU design, all you need is to get it made! The most reasonable option for this seems to be getting your design made on a wafer bought out by a company like Circuits Multi Projets. It's not cheap though, the small process size they do currently is 28nm and you can expect to pay 12,500 Euro per mm^2 for that. It's a pretty modern process though, around about 2011/2012 level. A quick glance at the size of Ryzen and Kaby Lake dies suggests 50mm^2 is a reasonable size for a die, so this stage will set you back 625,000 Euro.

Basically, even if you use RISC-V and A: the software comes with the manufacturing or B: you manage to use free software exclusively, this thing will still set you back half a million. And probably only run Linux, depending on which instruction set you go with.
>>
drag your balls across the floor
saying stop but wanting more
>>
>>59459841
On further investigation it appears that dies have gotten much smaller since the days when we were using feature sizes around 28nm. Sandy Bridge was about 200mm^2. So bump that up to around 2,500,000 Euro.
>>
>>59459579
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
>>
>>59459579
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71h9XZbAWY
>>
>>59459841
prob wants a more basic version of how to create an 8 bit adder with electrical components and wire. that kind of thing.
>>
File: FV4O58SI9JRAGAT.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
FV4O58SI9JRAGAT.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
Solder a lot of these together.
>>
>>59459628
This.
If OP want to learn, then FPGA's are the way to go.
I would suggest that he starts with something simpler and then grow.

Soft cpus are not that relevant these days though.
You can get FPGA platforms that have an arm processor, because FPGA cpus are not worth anyones time.
>>
>>59459579
you cum on a cpu socket and run a stresstest until it has cured.
>>
>>59459841
that was interesting as fuck, thank you for writing that.
>>
cant you design your own cpu on plain paper with conductive ink?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.