[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From transhumanist to luddite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled-1.jpg (75KB, 300x404px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
75KB, 300x404px
Am I alone or are a lot of you also becoming luddites quickly?

I used to have utopian dreams about super advanced technology, but given how scary and stupid it is to see people on their "smartphones" all the time today, and how we're letting algorithms control everything in our lives from who we should date to what we should buy, and that none of that will bring the technology I dreamed about to reality before all of us die, I've started appreciating more the value of the old times and ways.
>>
Balance is key. Keep the technology that can genuinely improve life and mental/physical health. Avoid those things that you find harmful or unnecessary. Use a Faraday cage in areas you want to keep secure, if you must.
>>
i loved the transhumanist dystorpian or utopian future we all envisioned but with government agencies, jews, and other parasites hijacking it to undermine civilization, i hate it. the only transhumanist dystopian future i want now is one where people actively try to destroy these fucks or one where machines replace humans forever.
>>
>>59457467
The more time I waste away on this site, video games, and programming the more of a luddite I become. I've wasted away my entire youth on technology. I think Ted Kaczynzki was right and we need to destroy the machines.
>>
I never wanted it to get this bad.

I just wanted increase in storage sizes, increase in Internet speed, better display technology, etc. Increases in that way. None of this social media IOT algorithm dystopian nightmare shit.
>>
>>59457467
It's a reasonable thing to worry about some technologies. The problem is more geopolitics than technology. Really big fucking countries with opinionated governments mean that you'll never be able to pick and choose the technologies and social features you like. Idiots from hundreds of miles away will (democratically) impose their stupid values on you and you won't be able to keep their snooping noses out. As a result you get a shitty technological landscape: e.g., very tight constraints on genetic engineering of humans (too much regulation) but also shitty data-collecting ISP oligopolies (too little/wrong regulation). If we had hundreds of countries, like independent city-states or something, finding a place to live that allows exciting new technology but keeps what you consider anti-features out would be a possibility.
>>
>>59457652
What's the point in improving computer capabilities if all you use it for is browsing shitty 90's websites?
And I do think that the IOT meme has promise but it kinda seems like too much push not enough tech.

>>59457467
I think the problem is not technology per se but rather that we're still in the growth phase, basically we're just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Eventually the development will slow down and I imagine a period of refinement will ensue where we perfect the appropriate deployment of these new technologies so that it suits us.
>>
When you're young, you're idealistic and fluid. You're open to new ideas and improvement, change is rapid and everything can be improved. Young people see technology and science as only positive, as if it were incapable of doing harm.

When you age, you not only see and understand the problems technology causes, you're also able to see yourself perpetuating the cycle. I wish I had never become so interested in computers, I'm going to die knowing I wasted my life.
>>
>>59457467
>given how scary and stupid it is to see people on their "smartphones" all the time today
Also, I think this is kind of overblown. People would have been saying this shit about TV not terribly long ago and now TV is largely being supplanted. You must remember that smartphones are only like 10 years old basically, and the common plebeian has been glued to their smartphone probably not even that long, and incidentally the common plebeian was probably only introduced to the wonders of the internet at around the same time. I'm not entirely surprised that they are enamored by it.

On the other hand I guess it's sad to see most people so divorced from having any kind of physically productive skills, lost to factory made products just being so cheap. Conversely though I guess I might be romanticizing having to do shit yourself and people back then only did so because they had no other choice.
>>
File: cheater plug.jpg (130KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cheater plug.jpg
130KB, 1280x960px
>>59457467
Tech, no tech, life's fucking pointless either way. Do what you enjoy, damn the next generation, damn the world.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.