[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPNs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: vpn.png (83KB, 425x275px) Image search: [Google]
vpn.png
83KB, 425x275px
Does a VPN prevent your ISP from knowing which sites you visit? I don't know how long my ISP keeps URL histories, and I don't think they're required to tell me when they give/sell it to third parties. I'm thinking of paying for VPN service with an anonymous, prepaid debit card. Thanks for any advice.
>>
Also, how much does it slow down your browsing?
>>
>>59442787
Vpns log everything you do and also all American and English vpns give out all info to the NSA and kgb, if you want a vpn get one that don't keeps logs and has one of those things that assure the NSA/Fbi didn't send them a comply order or idk how is that called
>>
File: mit-vpn.gif (32KB, 480x335px) Image search: [Google]
mit-vpn.gif
32KB, 480x335px
>>59442787
>I don't know how long my ISP keeps URL histories
In Europe, it's usually 2 years (by law), or indefinite time if you're under investigation/in a list.
With a VPN the ISP can only see that you send/receive packets to/from the VPN address, but they cannot see the packets' content if the traffic is encrypted (VPNs tend to to always encrypt traffic, unless manually specified otherwise).
>>
>>59442787
I live in China so VPNs are my life.

>Does a VPN prevent your ISP from knowing which sites you visit?
Yes, more or less.
In practice, cookie leakage and traffic analysis can mean that the ISP or whoever has access to the wire can track certain details of your activity under the VPN, sometimes at the time, sometimes afterwards. It's a lot of trouble though and they probably wouldn't do it unless they think you're a terrorist or spy. It's NSA targeted type of shenanigans to do that.

Get a VPN hosted in a country that you don't think you'd ever piss off. Preferably one that doesn't use botnets against western countries too. If it's a western country, their ISPs probably give data to the NSA, whether they know it or not.

>>59442815
>Also, how much does it slow down your browsing?
It depends on the day but it's always a bit. Sometimes, the spooks are trying to inspect the VPN traffic because they don't know what it is, that slows things down a lot. On a bad day, I can barely get pages to load and half the images in 4chan's catalog will fail.
On a good day I can watch youtube in 320 without buffering.

This is as good a place as any...someone had a screenshot of shadowsocks config that they posted, does anyone have it saved?
>>
>>59442787
No unless you also forward your DNS through the VPN or use something like DNSCrypt. https://ipleak.net/

If you have a jewggle account, it's recording everything you search/url history (so is Chrome, so is IE too).

Even if you don't have a jewggle account, simply coming across facebook 'like' buttons will implant trackers that will harvest your history.

You should just make your own VPN, and host your own DNS too https://github.com/trailofbits/algo
>>
>>59442787
Zoog VPN is good, they don't keep logs and it won't slow your connection down
https://zoogvpn.com/pricing
>>
Is there a sure way to encrypt communications if you think you can't trust any service?
I mean normal everyday computer use but without ISP, VPN or any other service provider having an ability to look into your files.
>>
Is tor a vpn?
>>
Warning:
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Also assume any VPN company mentioned here is a shill post.
>>
>>59443851
>I mean normal everyday computer use but without ISP, VPN or any other service provider having an ability to look into your files.
HTTPS is more or less that.
There are MITM attacks possible on it under some circumstances.
The innermost/last isp/vpn/whatever can see what servers you talk to and how much you talk to them but not what you or they say.
>>
>>59442787
change your DNS, use VPN outside your country
this protect you from your ISP but not from GAFA
>>
>>59442861
This isn't true of all VPN providers. PIA keeps absolutely no logs. CIA nigger fuck off.
>>
privateinternetaccess.com/pages/whats-my-ip/

how to block browser META data
>>
>>59443121
>On a bad day, I can barely get pages to load and half the images in 4chan's catalog will fail.
On a good day I can watch youtube in 320 without buffering.

That's fucking awful
>>
>>59445440
And there are people who support this because "U have nuffin to hide, lel".
>>
>>59445327
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/dmca-policy

USA adresses, this mean US companies ? this remember me a HideMyAss story
>>
What is DNS and should I change it?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.