[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brand new custom pc. What now? Benchmarking? Stress-testing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Fractal_Design_Mini_C_.jpg (117KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Fractal_Design_Mini_C_.jpg
117KB, 800x800px
Friday afternoon, I am taking delivery of all the components I need to build a new pc. I read some posts in other forums where people mentioned that components weren't performing as expected because it was in the wrong slot or whatever reason. Once I get this pc built, I'd like to make sure that the components are running at peak efficiency.

What are some things I should do on day 1 of a new build? Stress test it? Benchmark it? If so, what programs do you recommend? I remember using a program many, many years ago called SiSoft Sandra that gave me an enormous amount of detailed info about my pc. Is that still a solid program? I built a new pc. Now what?
>>
File: mini c.jpg (1MB, 2454x2489px) Image search: [Google]
mini c.jpg
1MB, 2454x2489px
>>59441856

Excellent choice in cases, anon.

As far as testing, go ahead and benchmark it if you want, but basically you just want to use it and see if there are any issues. Monitor your temp and CPU/RAM/HDD/SDD usage periodically for the first few weeks. If everything looks good, you're good to go.
>>
>>59441897

Nice! Hey, is that yours? If so, I have a question for you. Do you have HDDs in the cage below your two fans? If so, do they ever run hot? I am concerned about the hard drive cage getting no air flow. I plan to remove that plate below your two fans in the front so that I can add a third fan down below and along-side the hard drives. I know the HDD cage slides towards the PSU. I know I can fit a 120mm fan in that space. I am going to use the fan that came with the case as the fan for the HDD cage, and I'm going with two Noctua NF-F12's where you have your two front fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PgN24C
>>
>>59441957
It is mine, but I don't have any HDDs in there. I have a separate home server with 8TB of storage that I use for actual file storage. On this pc, everything's on SSDs on the detachable mount behind the m/b.

In general though I wouldn't worry *too* much about HDDs getting too hot, but certainly adding another fan would help them. I imagine just removing the shroud without adding an additional fan would get the job done too though.
>>
>>59442002
>a separate home server

I was thinking that I might turn my current pc into a home server for storage once I get the new pc up and running. Do your SSD's run hot?
>>
>>59442060
They stay at roughly the ambient case temperature. The two front intake fans help with that, but I generally haven't seen SSDs get very hot in the first place.
>>
>>59442082

That's great to know. I'm looking at SSD's on PCPartPicker. I just took a look at the drive where I install my games onto. It's only 1TB and I've been using that space for years with no complaints. I can drop the HDD and go with a 1 TB SSD. Thanks much, anon. You gave me tremendous info tonight. Much appreciated.
>>
>>59441856
Memtest86.

Then play some AAA game while monitoring temps.

That is all.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.