[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this true, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: wew.png (33KB, 2052x148px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
33KB, 2052x148px
> Malware cannot damage the physical hardware of systems and network equipment
Is this statement true?
>>
>>59438869
>Malware cannot damage the physical hardware of systems
I think I understand what you are asking.

Can malware result in hardware being damaged? Yes, see also Iran.

>physical hardware
Is this phrase correct? I have heard other people use "physical" hardware instead of just hardware. Seems redundant.
>>
>>59439031
see: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/security-center/virus-differences.html

Text literally taken from Cisco's website.
>>
cant someone write some code, inject it and make your processor get BTFO from too much data/etc/etc?
>>
>>59439135

Good thing to know that they're fucking idiots.
>>
>>59439167
Pretty decent definition of Bots though.

>>59439166
I don't think so, processors are hardware/firmware protected (throttling, for exemple)
>>
>>59438869
There was the macbook battery explode exploit
>>
Stuxnet
>>
stuxnet or w/e targeted embedded systems -- fucking kikes -- they get away with murder
>>
>>59439167
Explains why the Equation Group was able to own half of their product line.
>>
Hey this doesn't seem like the ideal thread to ask this but I saw you guys had text from Cisco and thought you guys could do it, or at least know someone that could but anyways I need someone to find this guys address, it might be hard to believe but I don't want to kill him or anything, he just posted mine on twitter and I don't appreciate it and I want to get "even"

https://mobile.twitter.com/retiredsatan
>>
>>59439286
Fuck off.
>>
>>59439135
>Taken from BACKDOORS INC's website
wew, good thing they would never lie about anything
>>
>>59438869
NSA can infect HDD firmware. You will never be able to trust it again. Theoretically, they could trash this shit out of your HDD by rapidly moving the head and by spinning it up and above rated rpm rates.

Even if you have SSD, they could still destroy it by writing TB of data to it. You could also destroy RAM by rapidly changing series of memory locations to the point that it doesn't hold bits anymore.

And there's Stuxnet, like anons mentioned, but it affected SCADA and PLC systems not regular PCs.
>>
>>59439339
>it affected SCADA and PLC systems not regular PCs.
Wasn't it spread through Windows machines though?
>>
>>59438869
Chernobyl Virus
>>
>>59439222
>>59439228
It didn't damage the hardware it ran in though. I mean, what happened is:
> Connect computer to a bomb circuit
> Some shitty worm discovers it
> Attacker turns the switch
It wouldn't happen without the bomb.
>>
>>59439367
Windows was controlling them, yes. But it didn't destroy actual PCs.

OP asked a question about destroying PCs. And yes, you can destroy some components like I mentioned.
>>
Is there any reason someone couldn't install a RAT and set your GPU's voltage stupidly high to fry it?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
>>
There have been malware in the past that wrote garbage to your BIOS chip. That's something that can be fixed with a reflash or new chip tho.
>>
File: 12955457.jpg (60KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
12955457.jpg
60KB, 400x600px
>>59439467
>OP asked a question about destroying PCs
I thought it was about destroying hardware. What part of the OP implied PCs only?
>>
>>59439591
It's fucking obvious otherwise, retard. You can easily attacks PLCs. Go back to your autismus pills.
>>
>>59438869
> all those retards mentioning stuxnet
/g/ is literally inane
>>
Wouldn't it be possible to make a virus that disables your fans/cooling system and then just maxes out your cpu/gpu? If it happened while you were sleeping, or just not paying attention to your computer it could fuck something up (although your computer would most like just turn off before anything bad happened).

Is it possible to change the power draw of certain components?
>>
>>59439946
Yeah, that's actually possible, but the hardware itself would throttle, so I don't think it would explode, it would just run really hot.
>>
File: C7FNnTwU8AQODy4.jpg (36KB, 575x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C7FNnTwU8AQODy4.jpg
36KB, 575x1024px
>>59439286
You mean this address?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.