[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to disable HT in BIOS "by default"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

So I have a laptop, ROG with 4700HQ.
I have edited the BIOS so the default values disable HT. Works like a charm, can enable and disable it anytime.

Now here comes my desktop.
> Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
> You can disable HT of course
> But every now and then it resets HT to "default" which is ON

Now, the first gen i7s are piss weak in single thread. Gimping that is just painful, especially for games.

So how do I edit this BIOS?
What tool?
The tools I grabbed cannot open or flash.

I have:
> afuwin
> afudos
> amibcp mmtool
>>
>>59435506
> inb4 fuck gayms
Desktop apps suffer just as much.
> inb4 just use blender to browse webpages like AMD does
>>
>>59435506
Is everything else getting reset to default? Faulty motherboard battery maybe?

Anyway, I'm not really sure what turning off hyperthreading is going to do for you other than offer a placebo effect. Hyperthreading occasionally had a negative effect on games but that was a long time ago. You sure this is even the case for your system anymore?
>>
>>59435625
The rest stays. As far as I can tell, it's some BIOS bug. Like I can disable all power management shit for CPU, that stays.

BUT the fucking HT switch goes On all the time.
Sadly, yes, HT is a piece of fuck in the first gen.

But even on my 4700HQ turning HT off helps getting +15-20 FPS, and the laptop fan does not even spin up due to the less thermal load. Bretty gud.

If I have to work with something parallel (once in a year) I just kick it back on.
But for the desktop I would keep it off all the time.
>>
>>59435625
>>59435694
Oh yeah, currently FFXIV is downloading, but only with 3M/s because it's maxing out one thread (13% CPU), lol.
>>
File: donutsteel.jpg (172KB, 1092x638px) Image search: [Google]
donutsteel.jpg
172KB, 1092x638px
>>59435707
> pic related

Basically, just which tool should I look for, that can edit the BIOS. IIRC it's Award bios, and the ROG laptop has AMI or something like that.
>>
>>59435506
How do you take a screenshot of a BIOS screen?
>>
>>59435831
Uhm I did not, but the tools you have for BIOS editing, can emulate/"run" the BIOS to check for things. Pretty fucking cool to be honest famalam.
>>
File: birdgirl.jpg (341KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
birdgirl.jpg
341KB, 1200x1600px
>>59435859
>>59435831
Really makes you think
>>
>>59435506
Protip: disabling HT will actually worsen performance, dont do it
Also why the fuck are you editing the BIOS, one mistake and your shitty gaymen laptop is toast
>>
>>59435927
Well, WHY THE FUCK NOT, SON?!
Are you a pussy or what.

It's like you never tried to flash a bios without the battery just on power LIKE A FUCKING MADMAN.

Do you even live, brah?

>>59435877
I would girl the bird out of her if y'know what I mean.
>>
>>59435927
Btw performance is much worse with HT, sadly.
Only games that scale fare better. In TERA for example (just a shitty single thread game), I get +10-15 FPS solid.
B&S, ArcheAge, same. (AA scales to 2)

These old i7s cannot boost for shit, the HT implementation also suck. Overclocked, maybe it would work - but like always - my motherboard cannot OC for shit.
And, it's already hot like a mixtape without any OC... I would need to route the Niagara through the cool this hothead.

On the laptop? Hell knows, it should be able to Turbo and HT properly, yet disabling HT gives me quite a boost.
Could measure it, but why would it matter, no one would really care.

So yeah boyos, how do you edit AWARD bios?
> inb4 hex editor
>>
>>59436060
Pffft, I bet you don't have the battery out AND connected to a 30 year old generator.
>>
>>59436097
> not making a grandpa with parkinson's hold the cable mid-air
pfffhhtthrethertioh
>>
>>59435506
>So I have a laptop
found your problem bubba
>>
>>59436143
Brah the thread and BIOS mod is about the desktop.
Have already modified the laptop's BIOS several times... worked like a charm.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.