[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best place to learn Java

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: java.png (37KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
java.png
37KB, 250x250px
Do you know of a good place for beginners to learn Java? It can be a website, a book etc.

Also is Eclipse a good tool for Java beginners? Some of my friends recommended it to me.
>>
I'm currently using
http://mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/
And so far, it's pretty good.
>>
Grab a java textbook.
I don't recommend websites if you're a true beginner- besides googling for shit you don't understand.
I recommend the Daniel Liang book; introduction to java programming

It's really as simple as getting a book and working through it.
>>
Okay, I have been watching some of these vidoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-zzrqQoSE&index=1&list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28, because a friend of mine recommended it to me after learning it himself. I just feel like it lacks tasks and projects that make you have to think for yourself.
>>
>>59429423
Youtube videos aren't really a good place to start, exactly because it rarely gives you any tasks to do.
You're better off going with a good book or a MOOC.
>>
>>59429532
>>59429396

I tried to use the MOOC site, but I can't really see how to use the TMC plugin with Netbeans 8.1. Not sure if im just retarded, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation on the site about how to do it.
>>
>>59429362
India
>>
>>59429362
>Also is Eclipse a good tool for Java beginners?
No, use IntelliJ.
>>
>>59429362
>Best place to learn Java
Hell
>>
>>59432271

Way too overblown just like Netbeans, you don't even need half of the shit if you're just beginning. Stick with Eclipse
>>
>>59432302
>>59429396
I guess I'll just stick with Eclipse, as I've already gotten the hang of how it works. Do you know of a good place to find tasks, that can test if you've learn't anything.
>>
>>59432223
http://mooc.fi/courses/general/programming/how-to-get-started.html
I'm just using Eclipse myself though, and just skip submitting my code.
>>
>>59432377
If you use NetBeans with mooc.fi you'll be able to do assignments. End of chapter ones really test what you've learnt. At later stages they actually make you write everything from scratch and then test. It's really good.
>>
>>59432412
Yeah, I thought of that right after i posted my last reply. I'm gonna try that and see how it works out. I can always switch to Netbeans or something else later, when it becomes relevant.
>>
File: ShowCover[1].jpg (143KB, 1024x1307px) Image search: [Google]
ShowCover[1].jpg
143KB, 1024x1307px
>>59429362
MOOCs, YouTube videos and other tutorials aren't good places to learn languages. Using MOOCs or YouTube videos is fine for things like general CompSci.

>>59432271
Stick with Eclipse. IntelliJ won't help out beginners and doesn't have the type of reach in the workforce Eclipse or even NetBeans has. Eclipse has anything a beginner would need anyways and if they decide to go for EE or any other JVM language, it's already there for free.
>>
>>59429362
Don't use an IDE for learning, intellij, eclipse, netbeans, it doesn't matter don't use it till you have a good understanding of the language. Just compile in the console using javac, run with java.

Pick up any Java textbook and just start reading through it. Since it sounds like you are new to programming, here's the shit you gotta learn in order:

variables
methods/functions
booleans, if/else
String
while, do while, for loops
Scanner
Classes/Objects

Java basics done. Once you have a good understanding of all these you won't need more direction.
>>
>>59429362
>Do you know of a good place for beginners to learn Java?
India
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.