[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does "freedom" really matter if you have nobody to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: IM-freedom-is-not-really-freedom.png (510KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IM-freedom-is-not-really-freedom.png
510KB, 1200x1200px
Does "freedom" really matter if you have nobody to talk to?

Do you really want to be alone forever because muh CIA paranoia?

Why does open source utterly fail at creating an IM service that normies will use to finally talk to you?
>>
>>59427333
>Does "freedom" really matter if you have nobody to talk to?
yes
>Do you really want to be alone forever because muh CIA paranoia?
yes
>Why does open source utterly fail at creating an IM service that normies will use to finally talk to you?
no money to advertise, very little commercial backing

also, you can talk to people via text like a normal fucking person
>>
>>59427401
Texting is now considered normal lol.
>>
>>59427333

Nice fucking argument you dumb fucking retard.

Because talking to some fucktard over Kikebook chat makes you not alone? No, you are still forever alone and will die virgin... except you do it with a NSA spyware hardware and software in your hand.
>>
>>59427333
Personally I use Signal to talk to friends, but only because I convinced them.
>>
>>59427401
>you can talk to people via text like a normal fucking person

Texting is nonfree and bad for you.
>>
>>59427333
I use whatever my friends use. I don't give a single fuck if CIA wants to listen in on my bullshit, I don't talk to my normie friends about sensitive information anyway.

Hide in plain sight instead of flagging yourself as a commie autist freetard.
>>
>>59427333
>Why does open source utterly fail at creating an IM service that normies will use to finally talk to you?
The only legit question out of three. It was pretty much answered >>59427401 Open source is not shilling themselves on TV, not packed with mobo drivers, not appearing in google adsence or something.
>>
>>59427333
>Paranoia
Wikileaks exists.
>>
>>59427539
>he thinks the CIA is gonna get him

kek
>>
>>59427441
Do you have 2 friends
>>
>>59427491
>Hide in plain sight instead of flagging yourself as a commie autist freetard.

Spoken like a true Edgelord. Congrats.
>>
>>59427333
CIA Niggers >>>/out/
>>
>>59427491
Can I have your accounts and passwords then?
>>
>>59427333
>paranoia
>implying suspicion is always unjustified
>>
File: 1489603357940.png (324KB, 494x484px) Image search: [Google]
1489603357940.png
324KB, 494x484px
>>59427333
>get someone to move to a secure app
>go to /g/ and talk about it
>it's not secure, use this one instead
For example, telegram is in that picture, but I've read many people here saying it's not as secure as they claim to be.
>>
>>59427959
>didn't do his research
>blames somebody else

dumbass
>>
>>59427401
>also, you can talk to people via text like a normal fucking person

Some of us don't live in third world countries like the US that still uses shitty outdated technology like SMS
>>
>>59427333
WTF? All my friends use IRC.
>>
>>59428081
>All my friends use IRC.

Internet friends aren't real friends, kiddo
>>
What friends?
>>
>>59428165
this
but facebooks friends are real because you can see they're picture
>>
furensu?

nani desuka??

Prefer the death to install wasap or feisbuk
>>
>>59427333
I'm actually managing to build a network of people who use xmpp.
The trick is getting at least 2 friends to use it simultanously and then make them start messaging eachother as well as you. Now it isn't just the messenger they use to contact you but there is an actual network effect going on.
My experience has been that Conversations for Android is pretty normie-friendly.
>>
>>59428209
>they're
Kek
>>
>>59428215
wat
>>
>Hangouts
No
>Skype
Not much these days
>Facebook
My friends use it, but have been using it less these days.
>Bleep
Never heard of it
>Whatsapp
Nope
>Kik
Still nope
>Snapchat
Eh... maybe? They don't really talk much about using it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
>Linked In
Ahahahahahahahahahaha hell no.
>Viber
Never heard of
>WeChat
Never heard of
>Line
Nope.

Services my friends and I mutually use:

Steam
SMS/MMS
Regular old phone calls
SOMETIMES Skype
Discord
>>
>>59427333
It's simple everytime someone texts you, either don't answer or send them a Wire invite.
>>
>>59428632
Your friends are clearly manchildren.
Everybody uses whatsapp now
>>
>>59427333
yes.
Communication is one of the most important markets to have freedom in.
Privacy is not is not a criminal thing to desire.
There is always some things you want to hide from someone else, privacy means you are able to control who you are talking to and what you share.
It is the alternative to having everything you say being public.

It is not about paranoia, I believe that it should be possible for two people to talk without being heard by a third party.
And if there must be a third party to listen to the conversations, there should be a possibility of controlling that source.

>why does open source utterly fail
Default is king.
One way to combat this is by making setup easier.
The freedombox project does a good job, but I don't think they have lived up to their goal of easy plugin home server solutions with no configuration.
But even if they succeed, it will still require a user to be able to setup their devices with it and install the necessary apps for everything to work.
Say we want to have xmpp to be the default messaging system, there should be a default android application for it.
If we want carddav to be the default contact sync on android, android should have this by default.

If we want people to have these things, it should be the job of the capable to make it easy for the rest.

We could empower home servers by making an improved dns system, so connecting to a home server is easier.

I would love to get to the point where we can get a solution where you plug a device in, it asks you of some setup questions.
It sets up everything, xmpp, nextcloud, letsencrypt, etc.
It gives you a "connect to" screen, so you know how to fill in the login information on your devices, maybe even suggest a free software client to connect these things.

The alternative is to use peer to peer solutions, but I don't like those as they waste a lot of network and cpu resources compared to federated solutions.
>>
File: 1489654599854.png (521KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489654599854.png
521KB, 1200x1200px
>>59427333
>>
>>59427333
>Implying I didn't convince my girlfriend and all of my friends to install Signal.
>Implying Signal isn't fully backwards compatible with regular SMS clients.
>>
>for the last 6 months i share a bus commute with a cute girl every single day
>few days ago she starts a conversation with me
>all goes well
>she asks me to add her on "face" so she can message me
>panic.jpg
>the most normie app i have on my phone is LINE

Bros im gonna see her tomorrow again, can i make a facebook account just to use the fucking messenger app? Will she see that i have 0 friends on it? Wat do?
>>
>>59429255
You don't need a Facebook account to use FB messenger.
>>
File: GPMyJfM.png (28KB, 530x560px) Image search: [Google]
GPMyJfM.png
28KB, 530x560px
>>59429329

i dont see how i can sign in without an account
>>
>>59427491
If you don't care about your security online, obviously you have nothing to hide. Give me all of your passwords to everything. This is okay because you have nothing to hide.
>>
The way it works is you only need a couple of other retards or "friends" to jerk off with and entertain you. That is the entire point of "IRC circlejerk". The kicker is that your market of people to jerk off with is the entire world of spergs like you. You can spend decades if not your entire life easily jerking it all away. This is why all of the below services are ban-on-sight upon entering because they associate ANYONE new with someone who will just disagree, or have new information period. This is as hilarious to watch happen as it is fantastically sad.

what we need to do next is come up with some sort of eugenics system to get all the users of the bottom software to kill themselves. that way we can free up medicare and tax money for people who actually want to live.
>>
>>59427333
As a programmer let's see your choices
>IRC
I can chat with someone knowledgeable and get to share ideas and tips
>Snapchat
Brain dead normie scum trying to waste my time

Really hard decesion, /v/
>>
>>59429359
>>59429329
Using an app that literally tracks your location
>>
True freedom is imaging one
http://imagingone.ddns.net/chat/
>>
>>59429359
https://www.techworm.net/2017/01/use-facebook-messenger-without-facebook-account.html

Next time, search instead of acting like a clueless fag.
>>
>>59429436
>you dont need a FB account
>STEP 1. Open Facebook’s deactivate account page.

wew
>>
>>59427333
You don't even know the frustration, all of my friends refuse to use TOX for voice and IM chat because, "but but discord is so much easier XDddDDDDdDDD"
Only my tech literate friends will use tox or irc.
>>
>Telegram
All my normie Friends use this thinking is in any Way save
>>
>>59429455
It says right there that you just use your phone number to sign in.
>>
>>59429510
>all of my friends refuse to use TOX for voice and IM chat

Not even /g/ uses Tox anymore, kiddo. It's shit.
>>
>>59429595
wow you are so cool
>>
>>59428728
> Your friends are clearly manchildren.
Maybe they are just children, without man-.
There is no age limit here.
>>
I run discord as sandboxed software with firejail. Am I any more secure this way or is this pointless?
>>
My friends mostly use Whatsapp and Telegram.

Occasionally snapchat but no one thinks it's "private". It's just fun.

I still have a Facebook account because there is a college group still there, but I never post, only lurk. But since the last 1-2 years it seems to be used 95% by Indians and Arabs only who mostly post useless garbage and I might as well delete it.
>>
>>59427333
Guess what! Do you remember a time before anyone who was Generation Y or afterwards had cell phones? I do! You know what we did? We just called each other! Or heaven forfend, actually talk in person!
>>
>>59431120
>pointless
it still collects everything you send, so
yes
>>
>>59429165
Also circle WhatsApp and that would basically be how it is in my life.
>>
File: son.jpg (28KB, 534x400px) Image search: [Google]
son.jpg
28KB, 534x400px
>>59431185
oh shit they're going to read my shitty chat logs with no information!!
>>
>>59428728
Only wagecucks use the WhatsApp. Businessmen use the Signal or telegram if you live third world.
>>
>>59427333
i only use steam
>>
Everyone uses retarded shit like telegram, OP, since it's a phone app, and normies love phones.
Yes. It's better to sit at a good table alone, then a table made of solid shit, with friends.
>>
>>59427794
>he thinks the CIA is gonna get him
>kek
If you think "kek" and "no" is an actual argument, this whole thread is way over your head.
>>
>>59431185
>>59432095
idgaf about my shitty non-top-secret chat messages through discord, but my question is if firejail will isolate malware or exploits from shared files or links that can be possibly downloaded or clicked on.
>>
File: standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
>>59427333
IM clients are the stupidest fucking thing ever. Some people use Kik, others use Facebook Messenger, others use WhatsApp, others use iMessage, others use BBM, everyone has SMS though. So I stick with that.
>>
>>59432756
Any sandbox will do that, retard.
>>
>>59432796
thank you, I am tech illiterate and I appreciate the answer
>>
Tell me about tox, is development still on?
>>
Just use OTR over any protocol.
>>
File: 1463759598355.jpg (387KB, 579x567px) Image search: [Google]
1463759598355.jpg
387KB, 579x567px
>>59427333
>mfw all my friends use Signal
>>
File: 1483625545436.jpg (48KB, 599x387px) Image search: [Google]
1483625545436.jpg
48KB, 599x387px
>>59429255
Bending over for waginah. Solid moves, bro!
>>
>>59432854
>OTR

Is this 2001?
>>
>No icq
Newfags.
>>
>>59433041
Nobody used that in the 90s. It was all about AIM.
>>
>>59432989
What, do you just use TLS with no other encryption on top?
>inb4 OMEMO
That's made by phoneposters, for phoneposters.
>>
>>59432989
>2001
It was released in 2004 idiot.
>>
FTFY

>Why does open source utterly fail at creating software that normies will use?

Writing software for normies was never the intention, they merely coopted shit they liked.
>>
>>59427333
I talk with my gf about freedom while using a linux computer
We both have CIA paranoia
Because normies are stupid and should RTFM
>>
>>59429165
>Friends

Nice one
>>
>>59434613
well well well
>>
It's hard enough to get them off of Kik and onto Whatsapp
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.