[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruby & RoR Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: ruby-n-rails discussion.gif (316KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
ruby-n-rails discussion.gif
316KB, 500x340px
I never really see any discussion about this language on here and I'm not really sure why.

I've just started looking into it as a noob who is trying to learn my first real language and I wanted to know what /g/ thought of it as a language as a whole, it's current state in the industry, and maybe get some good resources for learning it.
>>
Polite bump with a free wallpaper.
>>
Ruby good
Rails bad

next question
>>
>>59424553
Is it realistic to learn the language in hopes of getting a job with the language?

Is Rails really that bad?

Is the language dead??
>>
>>59424128
>>59424586
Rails was central to the "backend revolution" that changed how web dev was done. That was about ten years ago. There's better stuff out there now.

Ruby changed how people think about OOP, and it also spawned imitators that improve on the original, but its influence hasn't been that powerful compared to other languages that rose to prominence around the same time (mostly Python and Haskell). They still use it a lot in Japan.
>>
File: 1484942341989.jpg (1MB, 2667x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1484942341989.jpg
1MB, 2667x4000px
whats a cool project i could do with RUBY and a rasberry pi? Any suggestions?

I have a project due on friday and my plan was just to copy and paste a torrent box code but i would rather do something with ruby
>>
>>59424866
thank you for the break down anon. I was actually drawn to it years ago but I never actually sat down and started learning to program. It seems that I missed the boat.

The listed jobs out there DO seem to be a very small in numbers. Do you know if there's still entry level positions out there or is it a small group of senior devs/programmers dominating all the jobs?
>>
what can you actually do with it other than rails?
>>
Final bump. I'm guessing this is pretty much a dead language? Weird I know the percentage of sites running out there with it is pretty small.

But thought maybe someone on this board would be praising it and we could get some kind of discussion going.
>>
File: foxes2.jpg (30KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
foxes2.jpg
30KB, 400x350px
>>59426353
itll never die!

they have a ruby like syntax language that is competing with rust and go at the moment
https://crystal-lang.org

and also a javascript transcompiler that looks super useful considering how painful it is to write javascript
http://opalrb.org

Tuby is the funnest language ever and its only a matter of time before someone comes up with a game engine that uses the same style of syntax!

And its the only language that its actually entertaining to read about:
http://poignant.guide/book/chapter-1.html

overall, we may not be programming with actual ruby in the future but the influence of such a nicely thought out language has had on the programming community will continue to reverberate for ages to come and surely there will be tools released that utilize similar concepts.. also its good motivation for you or I to make small projects trying to revitalize the enthusiasm for RUBY!

The problem at the moment is that there are not enough online mentors I suppose so its hard to ask questions or find inspiration

I really would like to incorporate Ruby into the project I have to do tonight but im no sure how :/ I really should have started earlier I suppose!

Anyway its something I will be working on in the future regardless if I find a way to incorporate it into my project tonight..
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.