[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pimp My PC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: PimpMyPCLogo.jpg (75KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
PimpMyPCLogo.jpg
75KB, 512x384px
So my computer died on me early this year...

GPU got fried and now I'm left with an ancient relic from 2009. A pre-built ancient relic from 2009.

It was at this point that I decided to build a computer for the first time, learning what parts to look for, what's "hip" on the market nowadays, etc.

However, I didn't want to simply throw this one away, as I've seen people on Youtube take old computers and then revive them to fit in with the current year.

The only problem is, I simply don't know enough to know what parts of my computer are salvageable and which parts I should simply replace. It's even harder because, being the fact this computer is so old, there's hardly any websites that suggest what's upgrade-able and what's not.

Here's what its got:

>HP Pavilion Elite e9120y
>CPU: 2.6GHz AMD Phenom II X4 910
>Memory: 8GB 1,066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
>Graphics: 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 (R.I.P.)
>Hard drives: 1TB 7,200rpm
>Networking: 10/100 Ethernet; 802.11 b/g/n/ wireless
>Optical drive: Blu-ray drive; dual-layer DVD burner
>Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

So is it worth saving, or should I just scrap it and start from scratch? Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this. And sorry for the long post, I have problems with quantity and tend to overwrite a lot.

>Why the fuck are you posting here and not on sites like Reddit?
Because I'll take being called a "faggot" here any day over dealing with the hot, political mess that Reddit's going through at the moment.
>>
File: OldBetsy.jpg (12KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
OldBetsy.jpg
12KB, 300x292px
>>59418325
Computer is pic related.
>>
Replace video card with Rx 460
Add 128/256gb ssd
Add another 1/2gbof ram

Think that would be ok for lower end games and shitposting.
>>
>>59418649
Sorry forget the ram

Looks good.
>>
>>59418649
Thank you! I'll see what I can find.

Also, is Vista still good to go? Or has it become looked down upon since the days of old?
>>
>>59418803
7 and 8 got telemetry updates that spy on you, unless you want to go through and uninstall those one by one you'll be better off with Vista.

Unless you truly don't care.
>>
File: 001.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
>>59418325
>>59418984
Wow. I had no idea. It does make me appreciate what I've got rather than envious of what the cool kids are running these days. Thanks for the confidence boost.

I also forgot to post the inside of the machine for review, so here's pic related. The hard drive bay's out because I freaked out at first when the GPU died and took the hard drive out to make backups of everything on the drive.
>>
File: 003.jpg (1MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
1MB, 4128x3096px
>>59418984
Sorry to be a bother, but...

What the heck is this thing here?
>>
File: 004.jpg (1MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
1MB, 4128x3096px
>>59418984
>>59419516
Another angle.
>>
>>59419534
wifi card
>>
>>59419791
Ah, gotcha.

Thanks again!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.