[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> unlockable quad-core CPU for $80 Why this is not a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 333.jpg (116KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
333.jpg
116KB, 650x650px
> unlockable quad-core CPU for $80
Why this is not a meme?
>>
>>59413920
Because the IPC is lower than most modern platforms. And everyone knows IPC*avg. Clock across all cores*# of Cores=total performance, assuming that all cores are being used at 100% each
>>
>>59413920
A good percentage of them had broken cores. I had a Phenom II X2 550 that would just would not run stable when I unlocked it to a X4 B50.
>>
>>59413920
Because the performance is still shit. I just got rid of a 1090T clocked at 4GHz, because even with six cores and that frequency it was mediocre (and drew 250W on its own).
>>
>>59414220

This. The primary source of these triple core processors was that the 4th core was defective in someway, so they would lock the 4th core and sell it as a 3 core processor.

There have been quite a few instances of people unlocking the 4th core to great success, but it's a complete crap-shoot.
>>
>>59413920
Because the IPC is about the same as a 10 year old Core2Duo. Just get a Phenom II if you want a cheap quad core.
>>
>>59413920
Because AMD
>>
>>59413920
I had a x3 that unlocked to x4. Was fully stable, overclocked it (quite mildly on water), unlocked core died.

Back to x3.
>>
I want to build cheap somewhat capable desktop for my little brother, I can get an used Phenom II X4 965 for €30, worth it? Or should I pay a little more for a first gen i5
>>
>>59413920

because it's IPC is weak as piss
>>
>>59416082
The problem with old Cores and Xeons is that the motherboards are generally fucking expensive. Whereas with a Phenom II you can drop it into any piece of shit AM3+ board, which are readily available brand new for peanuts. A Phenom II is honestly fine for desktop use and light gay men.

The other option is a cheap H110 motherboard and a G4560, though you'd probably need a Skylake chip to update the BIOS first.
>>
>>59416082
Phenom II for that cheap isn't a bad deal. You'll have to buy a motherboard and DDR3 memory though.
>>
>>59416310
considering that a quad core xeon is like $8, S775 mobo being 10bux more expensive is hardly a problem
>>
>>59413920
>Most people don't want to unlock a core
>IPC is shit compared to modern chips

Why buy a cpu that's already way outdated?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.