[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did you fall for arch linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 1469900976889.jpg (20KB, 320x334px) Image search: [Google]
1469900976889.jpg
20KB, 320x334px
why did you fall for arch linux?
>>
Rolling release
>>
>>59413467
I didn`t. I usually use Windows because it provides me a lot of nice software (arch doesnt do it)
>>
>>59413467
Everything under Arch is tech illiteracy. Gentoo is better though, LFS is even better though.
>>
>>59413563
>compiling a kernel makes you tech literate
>>
>>59413467
Tons of stuff on the official repo, lots more on the aur, and a killer wiki with a helpful community.

That said I wouldn't dare use arch for a server or something.
>>
>>59413585
If you were tech literate you would surely not use a bloated pre compiled kernel.

>i'm scared of new things
>i don't care if it's fast, satisfied as long as it boots
>i hope my text editor will open today
>else I'll have to go to the library again
>>
/g/ tricked me into installing it 3 times
>>
Had to install some sort of OS into a mere 4GB of disk space, arch was the only thing that fit.
>>
got sick of never having the latest libs etc to run the newest hacker programs like nmap and other l33t stuff.
found out its actually a really great OS, great doco, great package manager and works well for what I use it for.
I would never use it on a server(debian for that) but have always used it on my laptops for the last 5 years.
>>
File: hey_there.png (407KB, 492x611px) Image search: [Google]
hey_there.png
407KB, 492x611px
>>59413467
>>
>>59413467
I didn't but I wish I did.
>>
Because of Noobuntu bloat OP
>>
>>59413773
Why are all arch haters such children?
>>
>>59413784
Stop being such an ageist you fucking white male scum

:3
>>
>>59413799
You got me, I'm ageist, white, male, scum and fucking
>>
>>59413784
somebody's triggered lol
>>
File: orbitalsides.gif (816KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
orbitalsides.gif
816KB, 400x398px
>>59413773
>>
And here it is again, I was wondering when you would show up again 20-BMI guy.
>>
>>59413467
minimalist X with i3wm. rolling release. learning how to configure systemd shit manually.
>>
>>59413467
Why did you fall for "why did you fall for arch linux?"
>>
because i fell for the minimalist rice meme

i got tired of it for shit just never working and needing to install every single package and edit every single config for menial tasks so i just installed debian with plasma desktop and literally everything works 100% out of the box now, its basically as complete as windows
>>
I tried all other distro-memes [spoiler]except gentoo[/spoiler] and Arch is the comfiest.
>>
only reason this kinds of thread exists is because retards literally cannot install arch linux, otherwise they would have seen it is, at least, a decent distro with good advantages

i don't even use arch, used for a while but it was not for me
>>
Arch + Plasma here.

Believe it or not, I spend most of my time getting shit done. Arch causes me less headaches than Debian-based shit ever did because I don't have fuck with backports.

The only thing Arch fails at for me is the AMDGPU Pro in the AUR is kinda ass. Fucking having to install older Xorg. I thought this new driver architecture was supposed to make that shit not fucking matter. But I blame AMD for that one.
>>
>>59413467
because it's lightweight (KISS) and you basically can create your very own distro, which makes it easy to rice
>>
>>59413958
Install Gentoo
>>
because i actually like minimalism and dislike bloated distros like ubuntu
anything wrong with that?
>>
>>59413784
t. micro penor arch user
>>
File: 1468247784596.jpg (18KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468247784596.jpg
18KB, 750x420px
Arch isn't minimalist.

"It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible."

"It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian. There are very few cases where there are multiple packages offering different configurations of the same project. There's no equivalent to update-alternatives or the comparable uses of USE flags. Changing /bin/sh from Bash will be broken, as will changing the python symlink to point to python2 instead of python3 even though this works on some other distributions. It doesn't strive to offer choices like this, and never has."

"Arch is the opposite of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity."

"Arch has never been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc."

"It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)."

"Memes about minimalism and user freedom != actual distribution policy / principles / history."

t. arch wiki admin
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>59414105
rude
>>
>>59414129
> a non-meme post with actual knowledge
you are wasting your time
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.