[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hdg/ - Hard Drive General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4052.jpg (86KB, 700x546px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4052.jpg
86KB, 700x546px
Discussions of the structures of hard drives, hard drive manufacturers, quality of their products and general user experiences goes here.

That said, how do you compare WD with Toshiba? All I found on Google is paid shill reviews.
>>
>>59404904
>hard drive manufacturers, quality of their products
>how do you compare WD with Toshiba?

It's silly to bother trying to ascertain whether brand X is more reliably than brand Y. All of them have had occasional dud models, and all of them have a certain percentage that fail. Buy the cheapest $/TB drives you can get, and trust redundancy and backups to protect your data instead of brand-whoring.
>>
HDDs: WD Red and Black yes, blue and green no. Toshiba no.

Always buy an SSD from a memory manufacturer like Samsung, never a drive manufacturer. Avoid Seagate and OCZ like teh plague. my $0.02
>>
>>59404958
false; this pajeet does not know what he is speaking
>>
>>59404998
>blue and green no.
Why not?
>>
>>59404904
Is it true that magnetic storage is relatively inert while in storage, while flash storage slowly leaks electrons from the gates when unpowered?
>>
>>59405049
green is this weird power saving model, and blue is pleb edition they put in laptops for people who can't read specs

blacks are 7200, lots of power, but damn nice. reds for NAS 5400, low power, turn on media player caching and you're good
>>
>>59405057
Yes. Some guy posted a chart, flash leakage is determined by temp during use and temp during storage. Data lasts longer when hot while active and cold while off. Super cooled (while active) memory that's stored over 55C can lose its data in as little as a week.
>>
>>59404958
Listen to this guy. hdds will last a long time if you use proper cooling, don't keep the room with the pc hot like an oven, or try to do work on the inside of the pc while it's powered on. that being said, always have backups of your data cause hdds will die/data get's deleted,etc and most time your drive will die without letting you know ahead of time (you go to turn on pc and, nothing, just a blinking cursor, or some other error). Also when installing drives in a case, always leave a free bay in between so air can flow around them if you can.
>>
>>59404904
>how do you compare WD with Toshiba
Well, I bought a Toshiba 1TB drive and it was faulty. Started reporting errors every now and then, had super slow read and write speeds, turned itself off randomly.

I replaced it with a WD Black but it's too early to say if it's better or worse. All I can say at this stage is that it's far louder
>>
>>59405133
Blue 1TB's are also 7200RPM though anything above 1TB is 5400RPM
>>
>>59405351
Black is higher performance and noise, thus why it's more expensive

Blue isn't inherently bad
>>
>>59404904
Who makes the best external hard drives?
Currently I have a 500gb toshiba canvio slim and its pretty gud, though I'm thinking about upgrading capacity. Any recommendations? I'd like them to be as slim as this one.
>>
Who cares?

Just back your shit up religiously, and it doesn't matter what you use for mass storage.
>>
>>59405133
They'd be ok for backing shit up though.
>>
>>59404904
Backblaze year-end report especially for WD Red is concerning, I just bought 3TB WD Red 8 months ago,am I fucked?
>>
>>59409097
Just make sure you have good backup in case of failure, that for all drives.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.