[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Laptop.jpg (157KB, 1649x969px) Image search: [Google]
Laptop.jpg
157KB, 1649x969px
Hi /g/, I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I have a budget of around $1000. Is there anything that you can recommend? I'm gonna be playing some vidya on it, but it's also gonna be used for school.

Pic not related
>>
>>59402346
What games are you trying to play. GTA V at full resolution; or something like League or WoW?
>>
>>59402527
I'm sort of a casual gamer, I play League, for honor and overwatch currently. I don't have too much time for it, because of school.
>>
>>59402346
used thinkpad + eGPU
>>
>>59402614
I'd rather just buy a normal laptop, desu
>>
gtx 960m laptops: Lenovo Y700 and Dell i7559. Both can be found around $800

you can get a laptop with a 970m or 980m for around $1000 if you do further digging.
>>
I found several laptops on newegg with 970s and 980s for under $1000. They are open box but oh well. The Y700 and i7559 I mentioned above can also be found open box for around $600
>>
>>59403765
This. I can really recommend a Y700 though I've had to return a couple of lemons.
>>
>>59405853

it's probably one of the best choices out there below $1000 though. I bought a MSI GE62VR in January. Only difference is mine has a 1060 6gb and 128gb M2 drive. I paid $1250. for around $600 you get near identical specs but a 960m 4gb. You can always add the M2 drive as well. The 1060 is powerful as fuck compared to the 9 series though so that's why I went with mine.
>>
>>59406793
What operating system are you running? I was looking at MSI's around that price but I couldn't discover any Windows 7 drivers. One of the biggest selling points of the Y700 to me was flawless W7 support.
>>
for your own sake dont buy lenovo gaming laptops unless you plan on replacing it 2 years later
>>
>>59406868

Windows 10. I haven't noticed any problems yet. Everything I use has been accessible to me. Everything I use for school(VMs and coding IDEs), work(Army), gaming, and any other random program I use. I really don't see anything wrong with windows 10....at this point.
>>
>>59406881

I got a friend that has had one since the gtx 860 version launched and it is still going strong while he is in Kuwait. I almost got the 960 version but said fuck it the 1060 in mine will last me a little longer and MSI is a brand I trust more personally.
>>
>>59406881
which parts fail?
>>
this is a pretty shitty situation for you desu, and exactly why gaming laptops are not a good idea.

The problem here is that you have enough money to buy a decent gaming laptop, but the battery life will be abysmal on it. I had an msi laptop with a gtx 965M and that thing would last 3 hours idling on power saver mode. Laptops with more powerful hardware would last even less.

That's why it's become so popular to spend ~$200-$250 on a cheap laptop with great battery life, and then spend the rest on a desktop that will still outperform any gaming laptop you could have bought.

If you really insist on getting a laptop though, then make sure it doesn't have anything more than a 1060 in it. Once you cross that line that's when batter life begins to suffer.
>>
>>59407502

if he's talking about school then the classes that meet up once a week are like 3 hours. Not only that but many schools actually have the power plugins every couple seats because they know their students have these laptops. That problem is pretty much gone. My MSI lasts around 3 hours on battery though and I would feel comfortable taking it to a class like that.
>>
>>59407502
See, that's where you're wrong.
I have an HP laptop with an i5-6300hq and a GTX 960m. It lasts around 8 hours of Web stuff (like Google docs), and performs great in the games I play. Only problem is that the fans can get a bit loud, but undervolting the processor solves this issue.

Just because a laptop has a GTX 965m or 980m or whatever doesn't matter. What matters is that there is a decently sized battery (about 60 to 70 Wh) and that the GPU supports optimus.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.