[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 37

File: IMG_6181.png (23KB, 723x455px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6181.png
23KB, 723x455px
Just signed up for college and I am majoring in Computer Science. Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
do projects outside of schoolwork
>>
> Be virgin
> C, Perl and Lisp
> Delete 4chan from your life
>>
>>59399983
If you don't know SICP by heart on your first day, you might as well quit right then
>>
>>59399983
>Just signed up for college and I am majoring in Computer Science. Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?

Work out
Join a fraternity

There are millions of CS grads but you'll stand out if you're sociable and physically fit
>>
>>59400002
This.
Also find friends (or study partners) early.
>>
Make a phone app that will allow to deploy panoramas with navigation.
You can thank me later when you become a billionaire.
>>
Study, do projects on the side and don't take programming advice from /g/.
>>
Don't suck at basic math.
>>
>>59400019
This and take Adderall
>>
>>59399983
>do projects outside of schoolwork
>learn languages other than the shitty ones you use in class
>program on a *nix machine of some sort
>try to get some internships while you're in school, a lot of schools let you treat an internship as a class
>some places like code.org and github let you link a linkedin account so you can have some code samples for jobs
>>
>>59400012
Graduating Cs major had to Google SICP
>>
>>59400002
This

People that graduate competent are the people that are actually interested in computer science outside of class. The ones that aren't still pass classes and graduate, but the jobs they get are garbage.

Always be learning, I'd your truly interested in CS it won't be a chore
>>
>>59400097
*if
>>
>Workout, get physically fit
>Eat well, cook your own meals
>Do your fucking math, git gud faggot
>Use a Linux/Mac machine for your work & productivity, do not use Windows
>Do not play video games, try to avoid associating computers with entertainment
>Make sure to always have a side-project / book to work on (e.g. learn a different programming language, developing a computer game, iOS app, scripts, etc.)
Good luck.
>>
>>59400097
what do if I like programming but hate proofs
>>
Poo in proper loo
>>
Why is getting physically fit a priority when it relates to CS?
>>
>>59399983
suck as many dicks as you can with hopes one of them will give you a job in he future, otherwise you will end up unemployed like most of us.
>>
>>59400450
If you look well-adjusted and aren't socially autistic, you're automatically more likely to get a job compared to the average autist who might be more competent than you
>>
If i want a job as a softwar engineer
I should major in cs, or something else?
>>
>>59399983
CHANGE THE MAJOR ASAP!

CS is fucking hell and you'll be unemployed by the time you finish.
>>
How hard is it to find a job? I live in Miami, so do you guys think it would be difficult?
>>
>>59400656
Can you expand on that?
>>
It is possible to not be an ultra nerd like everyone here is telling you and still do fine. You do not need to do side projects and waste your life away in front of a computer. I got an internship while I was still in school. Learned way more through that than I did in school, and now I'm all set. It's really up to you how you want things to work out.
>>
>>59400665

I don't know about the Miami scene specifically, but overall software jobs are in pretty high demand. Make sure you're not retarded and it should be fairly easy to find something.
>>
>>59400437
I've never had to do any proofs in comp sci
>>
>>59400683
http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks
>>
>>59400773
funny how they're talking about how code sucks yet can't make a basic format for cellular devices
>>
>>59400437
go to system or software engineering, you will still learn some proof though, in fact some problems can only be solved by proof, but it depends on what you're programming.
>>
>>59400761
thank you, sir
>>
>>59400744
This

I would also recommend being an IT monkey for experience, like on site support. I got my A+ cert for it and it pays well while also giving me experience (it's easy as shit but looks good on the resume).

The sole thing any CS grad should focus on is experience. Working a project counts as experience. Hell, even contributing to github projects frequently enough is experience. But you don't have to sell your soul for experience, and guess what? You can also have fun.
>>
>>59400437
Suffer through the proofs, they're a means to an end and entail only two classes (at my uni). You might not hate them, you might just hate the idea of them, you won't know until you're there.
>>
>>59400771
You didn't take discrete math, or algorithms?
>>
>>59400843

Agreed, and you summed it up well. Experience is definitely the most important part.
>>
>>59400154
Don't ignore this man's first two points.

Computers suck the life out of you. If you're going to be a lardass, at least regularly enjoy physical activity, because it will keep you sane.
>>
Learn to love programming. It's all programming.
I can give you a link to a berkeley professor stating this fact, even though I'll get flamed on here for saying it.
>>
I can't stress this enough, GET few pairs of programming socks as soon as you can!
>>
>>59400771
>american """education"""
>>
File: programming socks.png (338KB, 1140x813px) Image search: [Google]
programming socks.png
338KB, 1140x813px
>>59401027
Does wearing programming socks during lectures improve your learning abilities,
or are they just good for actual programming?
>>
>>59400771
You obviously went through a shitty CS program.

>Discrete Math
>Linear Algebra
>Data Structures & Algorithms
>>
>>59401016
I would love to see it
>>
>>59401280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctRUep1QkA&list=PLDB5C1A3E0F14032F

starts at 1:40.
>>
>>59400771
Lmao
>>
>>59399983
Most important thing is to get a paid internship. Anything that has you coding something. Nothing else matters too much.
>>
Don't be straight.
Don't be white.
Don't be male.
>>
if snoozing lose();
>>
>>59399983
>if snooze { lose() }
What language has curly braces, no parentheses around the if-statement, and no semicolons?
>>
>>59400771
what
>>
>>59399995
I want NSA lackies to fuck off
>>
>>59399983
Learn ancient languages that NASA and other government facilities still use and get paid upwards of $300k a year
>>
>>59401444
swift
>>
>>59400773
good thing CS isn't programming!
>>
>>59401705
CS = academic. Unless you're gonna waste your life on teaching and doing "research", programming is all you have left with that career.
>>
>>59401823
research and teaching are a large portion of many industry jobs.
>>
>>59399983
Learn at home, it's the most important thing.
Learn technologies you like (web, Android, C#...)
>>
>>59399983
Make sure you know your calculus
>>
>>59401887
unless you're from a top 5 CS school and unless you're in top 1% of your class, you're not gonna get those corporate research jobs. no point in deluding yourself. if you're on 4chan, there's a 99% chance you'll either be a code monkey or a NEET.
>>
>>59402472
Im not talking about working for something like Google or Microsoft Research, any normal non menial job requires research and mentoring
>>
>>59402547
Learn trending technologies such as NodeJS, ExpressJS, Angular4, Vuejs, rxjs, react... These options are just for the web ofc.

More and more company will use these in the future
>>
Is heroku good for long-term? It's quiet pricey when it comes to databases or dedicated "dynos", anyone here that have been on heroku for a while could give feedbacks ? Thanks
>>
>>59399983
just give up now and save some money
>>
>>59402547
>any normal non menial job requires research and mentoring
teaching idiots is not fun. and it pays like shit. corporations pay the best to people who get shit done. and guess who those people are: code monkeys.
>>
File: stem.jpg (149KB, 802x531px) Image search: [Google]
stem.jpg
149KB, 802x531px
>>59399983
get out as fast as you can
>>
>tfw when trained for java, learned js and its trending frameworks on my own and got a job for javascript

Before fooling around with haskell and other meme languages learn javascript, that's all i can say to you
>>
>>59399983
Major in Statistics. At least that is going places
>>
Why are people talking about what programming languages to learn when that has nothing to do with Computer Science?

Is it true that /g/ is full of fucking retards that have no idea what they're talking about?
>>
>>59400771
I went to Pitt and I had to for Discrete math, and Theory of Computation
>>
>>59399983
Start snorting coke it helps
>>
>>59402906
Because you can't program without a language you big dumdum.
>>
>>59399983
http://www.yegor256.com/2017/01/24/career-advice.html
>>
>>59400008
>Delete 4chan from your life
whyyyy??
>>
>>59402925
Computer Science has nothing to do with programming you big dumdum. Hence the argument.
>>
>>59402906
Sorry your program sucks big ol dick and you didn't learn a language of any kind
>>
>>59400015
>There are millions of CS grads but you'll stand out if you're sociable and physically fit
Joking?
The best way for this guy to stand out is to do his own projects and not just do class work. No fucking hiring manager thinks you're cool for being in a fraternity, actually they'll probably think the opposite considering modern day frats are now synonym as rape clubs.
>>
>>59400052
Adderall doesn't help you if you're already start, you just pretty much admitted you're a retard.
>>
>>59402967
>he didn't read the thread

Who's the dumdum now, dumdum
>>
>>59400771
The fuck?
Not even Induction?
>>
Here's the most helpful advice I can think of. Really really learn your powers of 2 and how to manipulate them, how the stack works/heap works, and how memory works in general. It will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Also, when you get to the point where you have to make big programs, ones with many different files and functions, really think it out before you even start to code. Create a design on paper and reason about it. One big reasons students make shitty programs is because they never think about what they're doing.
>>
>>59403109
This advice is decent, coding from the hip leads to disaster.
>>
>>59402776
Its good for small projects, free hosting but long term i think aws is better , the main argument is price
>>
>>59402986
You sound like an autist. A good conversationalist would have a distinct edge over you if your skills were otherwise similar.
>>
>>59399983
Leave 4chan.

>>59400002
But don't forget to actually do your homework.
Remember, CS ranks pretty low in terms of difficulty compared to other STEM majors, it's just most people don't do the work.
>>
What should i major in if i want a software enginnering job?
>>
>>59403185
Physics
>>
So since this is kind of a college thread, I'll ask here. What are some ways I can get into a good compsci college?

If I run my own website or if I make a famous indie game, would my chances of getting into a good compsci school increase?

I was also thinking about starting a youtube channel about compsci and programming.
>>
>>59399983
Guys, I need help.

I have 4 years experience with IT and information security, and currently studing and doing programming. I love it and all and want an academic degree but I suck at math and hate it. I'm a highly humanities-oriented guy.

What do?
>>
>>59400154
holy shit good advice on /g/
>>
>>59403185
Lesbian Dance Theory
>>
File: norwayGirls.jpg (561KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
norwayGirls.jpg
561KB, 900x600px
>>59399983
Focus on math

No seriously focus on math and algos.

I realized this way too late.

You have to understand that CS derive from math.

Everything in CS is based on math at the bottom.

Sure you do not have to know any math to code webfroms in java because there are several layers of over math that is at the bottom.

For example, if you know math and you will decide to focus on cs related filed like networks you will understand math behind routing protocols.

Thats why in best companies you have to solve math related and algos stuff.

You do not have to know everything but if you are good at math it means that you are capable to learn anything in cs in short time.
>>
>>59400773
Is this accurate?

This is exactly what I fear when I lose confidence sometimes
>>
>>59403287
>Webforms in Java

I don't think anyone should take advice from a guy that doesn't know the difference between Javascript and Java
>>
>>59403185
This might sound crazy, but try majoring in Software Engineering. It might just work.
>>
>>59403310
yeah, it's accurate.
>>
>>59403321
>What is web application programming in java

why are webdevs always angry when someone says that math is important?
>>
>>59403356
Holy shit you're dense
>>
>>59403321
>What is spring+hibernate.

Its pretty obvious that if somebody talk about java web dev its at least spring + hibernate or server side.
>>
>>59403287

This guy is right.

>>59403321

This guy is an idiot who doesn't understand front-end vs. back-end. He picked up on the simpleton "Java" vs "JavaScript" thing and goes around bashing people inappropriately with it.
>>
>>59402986
Someone didn't get a bid....
salty?
>>
>>59403443
>>59403453
No, fuck you.

Why would you chose to use java in web development?
>>
>>59403504
because its corporate standard?

Do you think that people use java to write desktop application those days?
>>
>>59403310
>Is this accurate?
Yes, 9 out of 10 real jobs, not University assistant jobs, will make you realize that it's 100% true.

I once worked on a website that generated about $1,000,000 / year. There was a division by 0 somewhere in the code, triggered about once every hour. But PHP ignored it silently. Something probably went wrong deep down in the bowels but nobody ever complained and management said to ignore it.
After a while you turn into an indifferent robot.
>>
>>59403519
>It's standard

What the fuck? The only time I've heard about java in the industry is when people bitch about the countless frameworks and dependencies it requires when you could just as easily do the work in numerous, simpler ways.
>>
>>59403519
Oh, I see, you're thinking we are talking about applications. I'm literally talking about Web Development and I can't think of a greater hell than using Java
>>
>>59403561
You did not listen correctly they were bitching about javascript.

Modern frontend js framework is like song of a month.

Every month there is a new js framework and as frontend you have to know at least several.

While few years ago you had just one, now its plenty of it. You should talk with somebody who was working as js frontend for 1 year in real job and ask him about opinion.

kek

When it comes to normal java code monkey its pretty obvious that they will want spring+hibernate in most cases.
>>
>>59403443
>Its pretty obvious that if somebody talk about java web dev its at least spring + hibernate or server side.
My last job used Jetty with Jersey. Reasonably comfortable

>>59403504
>Why would you chose to use java in web development?
Any reasonable large project tends to use typesafe languages. The three mainstream choices are Java, C# and Scala.

C# is Microsoft slavery
Scala is hard to find developer for.
Java is a reasonable compromise.

>>59403580
>I'm literally talking about Web Development and I can't think of a greater hell than using Java
How so?
>>
>>59402791
yeah ok
>>
>>59403561
>>59403504
>what is a java web applet
It's like you just got on the internet or something, java has been used in web application development for a long time.
>>
>>59403580
I started using Java for Android because I hate Apple.
>>
>>59403165
>you need to be in a Frat to be a good conversationalist
Seriously?
>>
>>59403483
What?
Is that some frat terminology? I never tried to join a frat because I knew that being in a frat would have no real outcomes in my life except for maybe getting laid a little more often or a little more of a likelihood that I'd die from alcohol poisoning (which happens all the times in frats).
And you know what, it didn't. I still got a job after university, and that had to do with me being passionate about my projects in the past.
I got my first job out of college simply because during the interview, when I was talking to the "bosses" of the developers at the company, I had a fun conversation with them about programming, Operating Systems, compilers, data structures, etc... They were able to tell that I actually liked what I was doing.
You can't say that for many other Computer Science graduates.
>>
>>59400771
at my university, i had to deal with formal methods (so logical proofing everywhere) and i also encountered proofs and logic in machine learning and algorithmics and compiler optimiziation. and its fine, you should learn that in a scientific education
>>
>>59403483
>Implying bids are hard to get

It's not hard to fool the simple minds of frat boys to let you in
>>
>>59403335
What is the difference between a Software Engineering and CS degree? Which is more attractive?
>>
>>59399983
> Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful
Choose a better field where you don't have to compete with immigrant slaves or gain the approval of a blue haired lard ass in HR.

Nursing is hot. Certain medical niches (radiologist; anesthesiologist) pay very well.

Avoid law unless you can identify/exploit a niche. It's flooded.
>>
>>59401985
Almost afraid to ask this, but does anyone ever actually use calc as a programmer? Aside from riemann calculators, I've not been able to find a use for it.
>>
File: 1488947717950.gif (2MB, 230x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488947717950.gif
2MB, 230x250px
Drop Out
>>
>>59403238
Those are things that you would be doing on your own.

A college will be much more interested if you're the president of your high school's programming club. Because it's something that carries far more weight on a college application and it shows you socialize well.
>>
is it worth going to uni for CS or should I just go self taught? is it necessary to have a four year degree to land a job in this field?
>>
>>59399983
If you're to be a programmer, build library of your own methods. Reusable code.
>>
>>59407324
It is worth it to go to college for a software developer career. But it's not necessary.

Just know that if you decide to skip getting a bachelor's degree you'll skip the upfront cost but not having a degree will bother you for the rest of your career.

Every time you interview for a new job or try to move up in your company the fact that you don't have a college degree will come up as a negative.
>>
File: 38f.png (91KB, 240x255px) Image search: [Google]
38f.png
91KB, 240x255px
>>59400154
>try to avoid associating computers with entertainment
>>
File: 1485817053757.png (7KB, 400x284px) Image search: [Google]
1485817053757.png
7KB, 400x284px
>>59400154
>tfw doing all of these while majoring in CS
>>
>>59407476
take it from me it's not worth it
>>
>>59407371
Is it feasable to float 4 years on loans and part time jobs? I've been a wagecuck for years and I have a hard time imagining going back to school full time.
>>
>>59399983
Learn how hardware and software work together, and learn how to look deeper than the slick abstractions you're given. Most courses don't teach any of that, and yet it's what good employers really want.
>>
>>59400068
holy fuck i hope this was bait
>>
>>59400002
None of my friends listen to me on this.
>>
Enjoy math, maybe even take extra math classes depending on your degree. Math minor or double majoring is also an option.
Work on personal projects
Work on projects with friends, it's fun.
Look at the job fairs and other opportunities on your campus. Get an internship if you can, but at least attend the events and talk to people.
>>
>>59407528
SICP is antiquated
>>
>>59407623
Don't hardly need math unless you foresee doing physics or data modelling. The exercise in critical thinking wouldn't hurt, but not enough to double major in it.
>>
>>59407513
I wouldn't recommend it. You would probably have far too much on your plate doing a full degree and working part-time.

Look into programs where you can study a semester and then work a semester. Or see if there are community colleges where you can get your degree part-time.
>>
>>59407692
I wouldn't say not to double major in it, but don't do it at the expense of something more interesting to you or at the cost of an insane workload. Frankly I think someone with the right aptitude could benefit greatly from extra mathematical focus in any study
>>
Also cs major here 2nd year
What jobs beside programming ones can i do after finishing studies?
>>
>>59408375
Be a Software Consultant. You just sit on your ass and tell Pajeets what to do with their shitty codebase and they follow like monkeys.
>>
>>59400019
>coding with friends in sjw circle jerk
>I will let commies do that.
>>
>>59400771
No pigeon hole?
No TSP?
You must be pajeet
>>
>>59403185
Twerking studies
>>
>>59400008
I beg to differ. Delete everything from life EXCEPT /g/.
>>
>>59401444
Golang
>>
File: 2893578235.jpg (726KB, 1932x2456px) Image search: [Google]
2893578235.jpg
726KB, 1932x2456px
>>59399983
Change your style if you want to succeed.

Computer science is a cutthroat degree and only those who look the part will succeed.

Pic related, it's me
>>
>>59403356
Because they wan to hide their lack of knowledge in math with shitty frameworks like angular1
>>
>>59408753
I love seeing failed hipsters that are past the point of no return
>>
>>59401402
>this
>>
>>59408753
>Change your style if you want to succeed

No
>>
>>59399983
Get some nice kneepads
>>
>>59400437

>what do if I like eating but I hate food?
>>
>>59399983
If by "successful in the field" you mean "employable after college" then learn either Java or C# as fast as you can (as in: within a month or two of starting school) then get started on mastering either Java EE or ASP.NET and start building projects using them.

In these projects you should also be making extensive use of:
* JavaScript/HTML/CSS
* some trendy javascript front-end framework. It doesn't matter which one.
* SQL
* design patterns
* automated testing (both unit and integration)
* continuous integration
* Containers (e.g. Docker)
* Git

Plan on getting internships every summer. If you learn all the above you'll have no trouble finding an internship even the summer of your freshman year.

Listen to my advice and you'll graduate with four years of experience and a portfolio filled with projects that hiring managers and lead devs might actually be impressed by. You could be making 6 figures by the time you're 25.
>>
>>59402809
Some of the best advice in this thread.
>>
File: The-Bobs[1].jpg (145KB, 1276x692px) Image search: [Google]
The-Bobs[1].jpg
145KB, 1276x692px
>>59408753
Now there's a straight shooter with upper management written all over him!
>>
>>59407201
best advice all thread
>>
>>59407114
discrete mathematics i think calc is a meme but usually a requirement in most programs
>>
File: m3.jpg (95KB, 940x636px) Image search: [Google]
m3.jpg
95KB, 940x636px
Sophomore in College that switched into CS during the fall. What are some good websites for Java/Python projects/puzzles?
>>
>>59399983
Install a Linux distribution. Get familiar with the bash terminal. Get familiar with git and using git in the terminal. Learn Python. Go to class.
>>
File: 1482803534950.jpg (68KB, 790x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482803534950.jpg
68KB, 790x800px
>>59401084
>>
>>59409960
Don't think in terms of toy projects and puzzles. Find a marketable stack and use it to build a clone of a popular software product.

For example: use python/django or Java EE or Spring to build a Facebook/Twitter/Blogger clone.

Employers will be more impressed with a single large project that took 18 months to build and integrates multiple technologies to do something useful (even if it's not novel) than they will with two dozen 50-line toy python scripts.
>>
>>59399983
If I were you I'd major in math, then take CS as a PhD or Masters. The entire CS bachelors is condensed into like 4 grad courses: Programming Language Theory, Adv Algorithm design/analysis, Theory of Computing and typically an elective which these days is Machine Learning (which you would already pretty much know having an undergrad math degree in stats/stochastic calculus).

No joke, go to any university site and look at those grad courses, they completely sum up the whole bachelor's degree in one semester but you spend a shit ton of time reading research papers (typical grad student reads 300 papers per month tho so no biggie).

Spend your 4 years doing math, especially stats and you will have a very valuable lifelong degree to springboard from and can do anything with it. After go get a 2yr masters in CompSci doing 4 months of courses, and the rest a research project.
>>
As a mathematically minded person I myself studied CS until realizing that I won't get any intellectual qualifications from studying it. BSc programmes in CS are catering to and attracting the most anti-intellectual scum that barely managed to enter university. The usual CS curriculum is already designed in such a way to teach only a bare minimum of math and theory, hardly going beyond high school knowledge. Yet the average CS student fails it. The same people who are spouting wrong platitudes like "CS is all hard math" are the people who think you're a genius for knowing calculus. The pinnacle of idiocy I encountered in CS was a 6th semester student going for his BSc who did not know what a logarithm is.

With a CS degree alone without further qualifications you are factually unemployable. Neither the primitive GUI design in java nor the shallow hardware, database or network intro will qualify you for a job. The only people getting acceptable jobs with a CS degree are those who either combined it with another degree or who already had a job before because they self-learned important skills. Quite a few CS students openly told me they are only getting the degree just to have something on paper to force their boss to give them higher salary. The job they already had because they started web design / programming / security in high school. Having demonstrable experience in those is more important to an employer than what you learned in CS. The business monkey variety of retards is even more unemployable. Representatives of local industries explicitly said the degree is trash because these people know neither economics/business nor computing.
>>
>>59410210
Part 2:

The math and theoretical CS are even more laughable. The only people who complain about their hardness are those stereotypical video game retards who already failed their math classes in high school. All the "muh logical quantifiers", "let's mindlessly apply this symbolic manipulation algorithm", "oh wow, an automaton represents a language" or "holy shit, how do I show this algorithm does what it does" babby crap is shallow and hardly deserves to be called university level. A mathematician or a physicsist who is trained in reading definitions, theorems and proofs can pick up all of a BSc computer scientist's theoretical CS much more indepth by spending one or two afternoons of reading a book.

The worst thing however are the people going for such a degree. Out of all degrees CS seems to attract the most anti-intellectual scum. I seriously wonder how these people even managed to enter university. Every retard who barely passed high school and spends most of his day playing video games seems to think the must study CS. There are socially inept neckbeards of the retarded variety, hating and repeatedly failing math as well as the most simple programming assignments. There are dumbasses whose high school diploma was too bad to go for an economics degree, hence why they want to enter the business monkey route of CS in the hope of getting a little more than minimum salary. Those are of such subhuman IQ that they do not even understand the semantics of an implication in propositional logic.
>>
>>59410210
Not all programs.

The best going right now is Carnagie Mellon. They completely reworked their undergrad to focus on programming language theory (types), verification/correctness, and parallel algorithms. Not concurrency, not silly 90s parallelism but identifying algorithms that can be divided and conquered and analysis of said algorithms.

Their Intro to compsci math program is the hardest anywhere with TAs and profs deliberately writing problems (not exercises) every year to keep it fresh and make students use shit like higher-dimensional category theory.

Of course the school is still full of fags who just want to be a Google slave and treat it like some religion or something, or think they will be able to just pull a slot lever and cash out their shitty startup which is 90% marketing and 10% technical but whatever.
>>
File: 1489394414673.jpg (38KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
1489394414673.jpg
38KB, 600x332px
>>59410210
>>59410220
>>
>>59410220
>economics
*engineering
>>
File: leFAKrL.gif (480KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
leFAKrL.gif
480KB, 500x452px
I've been thinking about going back to school for a comp. eng. degree for a couple years now. Going to be moving to Indiana next year for unrelated reasons. Does anyone know anything about IUPUI's CE program, or at least the school in general?
>>
>>59409913
Yeah... i have zero use for integrals and i feel like a sucker now. Is this even useful for 3-d modelling?! Trig was extremely useful for certain projects dealing with interpolation between points in space, but fug, i think the integrals might just be mental masturbation. Quaternions are useful as hell, but not a peep about them in my classes.
>>
>>59399983
Throw away your current concept of hard work.
The vast majority of freshman and sophomores are lazy, incompetent fucks. College is just a daycare for adults to these people.
They unironically think things like "How am I lazy? I spent 30 minutes on this assignment!"

Learn from true example. Find the older person amongst all the students and see what they do. Chances are, they are going back to college. They have a wife, children, and a job. They do not fuck around. They will succeed. Most of you won't.

You can try all the crap in this thread all you like, but until you solve the fundamental problem that you are almost certainly a lazy piece of shit, you will not get anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>>59407114
>as a programmer
There is a fundamental difference between a programmer and a software engineer.

When you say programmer, I'm assuming you mean a code monkey. No, code monkeys have no use for math. They have no use for thinking either, for that matter.

More is expected from a software engineer. While their main job is to architect and build software, what is truly expected of them is to understand and solve problems.

How can you possibly solve a problem relevant to the current era if you're unable to read research papers? Without the fundamentals of mathematics, you will be dead in the water as a problem solver. Calculus is simply a sufficiently large common subset of mathematics used in every field, such that if you were to apply your software engineering skills to another field (as they are worthless otherwise), then you would have the minimally required competency to understand the domain-specific papers needed to solve the problem.
>>
>>59399983
get involved with stuff/clubs on campus
>>
>>59400002
What are good CS projects?
>>
>>59403174
>CS ranks pretty low in terms of difficulty compared to other STEM majors

>tfw thought I could do a fucking chemistry major instead of taking the easy route and doing CS

I eventually got through but fuck that was a mistake. Could have saved a year and a half. I've got a software dev job now anyway.
>>
>>59402986
Times are-a-changin. Employers don't want hardcore computer scientists anymore. They want young, easily integrated and well presented people who they can have sit at their desk and work and go out and attend customer site just as easily. Nobody wants, or expects you to know absolutely everything about a topic when you get employed for the first time. They want to see a well rounded, well educated and knowledgeable individual who can make them money.

Forget about this frat nonsense because that's crap. You just need to have decent social skills, be presentable and good at what you do. No more, no less. Employers will snap you up.
>>
>>59411704
Are you retarded?
First ask yourself what you want to do. High-level/scripting shit? Concurrent programming? More data structures?
Then learn a language which fullfils your needs (not C since you're supposed to know all about it by then end of your 2nd year)
And finally get to work you fat fuck
>>
File: get-a-load-of-this-guy.jpg (4KB, 124x124px) Image search: [Google]
get-a-load-of-this-guy.jpg
4KB, 124x124px
>>59411437
>>
>>59402809
>correlation is causation
>>
>>59400154
Underrated comment. Eating well and cooking your own stuff is also a valuable skill to get for your future. Learn to cook different vegetables and pick them according to the season.
>>
Study those algos and data structures. Internships at big companies are easy to land with really basic coding skills and strong fundamentals. Just be relaxed.

Side projects are great if there is something you want to make or learn, but don't force it if coursework is already bogging you down. Project experience from classes will go a long way too.

I was worried about a future in CS for a little while, but I recently got an internship at a big 4 company that pays really well, and they're going to fly me across the country. I'm going to be able to live on my own for a bit and I think it's gonna be awesome.
>>
File: 01b[1].png (30KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
01b[1].png
30KB, 640x400px
>>59413443
>I'm going to be able to live on my own for a bit and I think it's gonna be awesome.

give it 6 months
>>
>>59400015

>Join a fraternity

Fraternity is a shitty waste of money don't do it
>>
>>59413893
worth it to crush some mad puss
>>
>>59413940
>worth it to crush some mad puss
Get your pregnant MIT gf
>>
>>59414023
wait, get her pregnant?
>>
>>59413546
It only lasts 3 months though
>>
File: pepeThinking.jpg (10KB, 236x185px) Image search: [Google]
pepeThinking.jpg
10KB, 236x185px
>>59410278
it it possible to become as good as carniage student on my own?
>>
>>59414801
Yes.

But I have no idea how.
>>
>>59414886
They have several courses for free on github, for example malware course and security courses.
>>
>>59400771
This is why /sci/ hate CS.
>>
>>59415391
its uni fault, its system fault and years of propaganda of celebs like gates, cuck and page that you be cs without math
>>
>>59414247
then congratz! Make the most of it!
>>
>>59415391
you fucking pseud, CS is all about proofs
>>
>>59412117
But all of those things are software engineering from my pov.
Especially if you expect me to write it in a programming language.

I have trouble coming up with actual computer science projects.
>>
>>59416701
>I have trouble coming up with actual computer science projects.

You don't have to come up with anything, just implement your favorite sorting algorithm in an esoteric language or something
>>
>>59416748
But that's not CS. At all.
Inventing the algorithm is CS. Knowing how to begin inventing an algorithm is not easy for me.
>>
>>59416763
>But that's not CS. At all.

Doctors don't cure cancer in their spare time
>>
>>59416778
But in that analogy I'm the cancer researcher. Not a doctor.
Maybe you don't get what CS is?
>>
File: 1483020363914.jpg (15KB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
1483020363914.jpg
15KB, 400x246px
>>59416763
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf
>>
>>59416807
The introduction doesn't inspire confidence that this book will help.
>>
File: thankslol.gif (490KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
thankslol.gif
490KB, 500x211px
ybjn
>>
File: hmm.jpg (38KB, 399x477px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
38KB, 399x477px
>>59416842
>>
>>59416866
>>
>>59416701
Alright then.

Go design a formal mathematical model of the C language. Then write a shitty quicksort implementation in C and prove the exact conditions in which it works as desired.
>>
>>59399983
be good at math
>>
>>59416842
Another option is the Java Language Spec:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/
>>
>>59416973
post answer please, I am curious how math model looks like
>>
>>59418753
I believe the compcert compiler has a formal model of C. It is rather larger than can fit in a 4chan post.

http://compcert.inria.fr/index.html
>>
>>59399983

Put 4chan in your hosts file.
>>
>>59419163
I have every website redirect to 4chan in my hosts file :)
>>
>>59401136
>>Discrete Math
>>Linear Algebra
>>Data Structures & Algorithms

Not GP, but I don't recall any proofs in any of those classes.

I was a math minor. I did a grad-level course that was entirely about proving arithmetic. It's not like I wouldn't recognize a proof.
>>
>>59419244
>I was a math minor
That explains it i suppose
>>
So what is neo-/g/ stance on SICP?
>>
>carniege univ > mit/stanford

?
>>
>>59419244
dont know what they did in the quoted classes but we did a lot of proofs in my CS courses, and not just in the math courses
>>
>>59419350
HtDP is more up to date
>>
>>59419419
>Bitches don't know bout muh Master Theorem
>>
File: how to code.png (277KB, 3000x2584px) Image search: [Google]
how to code.png
277KB, 3000x2584px
>>59399983
>>
>>59412931
>lurking variable
>>
>>59400771
>>59419244
yo what.

my discrete math class is nothing but proofs.

i'm also minoring in math and my diff eq prof loves to prove everything she has time to prove
>>
>>59399983
a lot of people mention side projects. a good alternative/expansion of this is to see if there's a club on campus has a software team or could use someone who is in cs

i joined a robotics club and and basically all i do is look over undocumented C and python code someone wrote years ago to see how it works. if there's a problem with the operation of the robot, i can help the club fix it.

if you have no experience, having shit like this on your resume really helps. it gives you a team environment to work in and gives you something with substance to talk to the interviewer about. they'll be able to use this to gauge your interest in the field and personality, which is what they're primarily looking for in people with little to no experience.

also, as others mentioned, internships. you should be able to start scoring internships after your sophomore year.
>>
This is going to be my computer science and engineering curriculum starting next year. What are your guys thoughts on it? Weak/ strong? Anything I'm missing?

https://cse.osu.edu/sites/cse.osu.edu/files/uploads/bs_cse_requirements_and_sample_schedule.pdf
>>
>>59421903
Its not bad but there's a lot of fluff, Its missing VHDL and FPGA, and your choices/electives are weak.
>>
>>59419350
they moved to python
>>
>>59410210
>BSc programmes in CS are catering to and attracting the most anti-intellectual scum that barely managed to enter university. The usual CS curriculum is already designed in such a way to teach only a bare minimum of math and theory, hardly going beyond high school knowledge. Yet the average CS student fails it.

Are usa top univ like that?

it sum up my cs pretty well desu :(
>>
>>59410220
>A mathematician or a physicsist who is trained in reading definitions, theorems and proofs can pick up all of a BSc computer scientist's theoretical CS much more indepth by spending one or two afternoons of reading a book.

this is very true, its not uncommon for math or physic phd to work as quant or as dev in finance.
>>
File: sadPayPay.jpg (47KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
sadPayPay.jpg
47KB, 800x522px
>>59410220
>Every retard who barely passed high school and spends most of his day playing video games seems to think the must study CS. There are socially inept neckbeards of the retarded variety, hating and repeatedly failing math as well as the most simple programming assignments.
>>
>>59406451
Dumb advice. Everything is competitive and flooded. Nursing is full of women. There are niches in every field.
>>
File: 1488169111557.jpg (112KB, 787x830px) Image search: [Google]
1488169111557.jpg
112KB, 787x830px
>>59399983
I'm also planning on majoring in CS, how fucked am I if I already know C like the back of my hand and I'm only interested in learning shit like compiler theory, how to write Linux kernel modules, and the like? Would CE be a better idea?
>>
>>59424970
after 4 years of uni you will be embedded software coder with 38k/year, while your ex uni dumb friend will be making 120k with js.
>>
>>59410220
I wonder if this is still true for top 10 and 25 schools or just for your shitty degree mill down the street.

What would you say would be better, EE at a top 10 school or CS at a top 20 school. Planning on majoring in CS but I don't want to kill myself studying things I have no interest in.
>>
>>59399983
What are my job prospects with a bachelor of computer science? Is there a lot of competition?
>>
File: problem.png (8KB, 634x165px) Image search: [Google]
problem.png
8KB, 634x165px
>>59414801
Yes.
Look up the Core requirements for an undergrad from CMU.
https://www.csd.cs.cmu.edu/academics/undergraduate/requirements

Look up those courses' public pages and grab the lecture notes, assignments + lecture videos though only 251 and 213 have vids. Look up previous years' calendars too if anything is missing. All the math you really need is something like "Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" by Eccles, and Gilbert Strang's "Highlights of Calculus" which is on MIT OCW.

Many of the class exercises however are kept private to prevent cheating, so the best way to learn the fuck out of this curriculum is by doing hard problems, so also buy The Art of Computer Programming series Vol 1 through 4A, plus MMIX & Satisfiability fascicle. As you go through 15-122 subjects, look up the same chapters in TAOCP and do the problems there. By the third or fourth lecture in 15-213, you can easily program in MIXAL (I did it in MMIX, the replacement which is much easier/modern). The best part of TAOCP is when you start doing 15-251 lectures. Literally every lecture has a chapter in TAOCP, most of it in the first volume under 'Basic mathematical properties of Trees' (graph theory), and in the second version with Computational Arithmetic like Polynomials, probability ect. TAOCP even has a Bits/Binary hacks chapter (Vol 4A) and floating point chapter (Vol 2) which matches the first two lectures of 15-213, Doing hard exercises/problems is the only way you'll ever learn and remember the material, which is what a real CMU student would be doing (though TAOCP is graduate level material in a lot of places). After you can do PFPL book, HoTT, Dependent Type grad seminars or Category Theory will be no problem.

Curriculum is summed up here, he recommends doing HtDP (or on edx.org as Systematic Program Design) before trying 15-122/150. https://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/intro-curriculum-update/
>>
>>59399983
>Just signed up for college and I am majoring in Computer Science. Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?

Show initiative.

Learn what they're teaching very well. Read even more if something interests you. If you only need to know what first normal form and second normal form are for class, and are curious what third normal form is but it isn't on the test - now is the time to read about it.

If you learn Java, you learned a lot of theory and did some toy programs. Write a real program - one you can use, or just want. If you learned computer graphics, do a game or screensaver or something which uses graphics.

Contribute to Github and other projects - send pull requests. Some will be ignored, some will be taken, some will be taken with comments from the maintainer on how to improve your code. They often give good advice.

Perhaps even start a small business - put up a web site, Play or iOS app or whatnot. It costs $25 for a lifetime Android developer account. It's harder to get your app noticed then it used to be though - you probably have to spend a few dollars a month on Adwords if you want people downloading your app. If you keep working on it and people want it, it could take off. Alarm apps, flashlight apps and shit like that aren't that hard. Apps like Instagram to futz with your photos and upload them are harder to do.
>>
>>59425579
Btw this took me 3 years, doing it PT everyday for 3 hour. Note: everyday. I did not allow myself to take a day off because then I knew I'd keep putting it off. At the time I did this I was a lowly remote QA (who rapidly became a good QA because I learned how to combinatorially generate all possible cases). I work PT in a lab for good enough pay doing experimental linear optimizations with the Ellipsoid Algorithm with a bunch of Complexity theorists and everybody is surprised I don't have a day of university because the CMU courses are so good, plus TAOCP.
>>
>>59400029
Explain.
>>
>>59400008
> Delete 4chan from your life

This is good life advice in general
>>
>>59425730
First year of study I deleted X from my system and did everything in 2 terminal split screens using tmux, Emacs in one, and streaming lecture videos through the linux framebuffer in the other.

No fake news click bait/gaymin/4chins/porn/clicking through jewtube distractions, as I had to youtube-dl everything first and that alone gave pause to not bother and get back to work.
>>
>>59425703
>>59425579

Where can I find these lecture notes?
>>
>>59402986
You don't need to be in a frat to work out 3.5 hours a week minimum, groom yourself, and know how to talk to strangers without pissing your pants.

Your comment reeks of insecurity.
>>
>>59426006
how can you not know how to google these things

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~15150/previous-semesters/2012-spring/lect.html
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~15210/schedule.html

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/Web/People/15251/schedule.html (lectures) http://scs.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Podcast/Podcast.ashx?courseid=bcf8243e-cf18-481f-960f-3c5b26fbb69b&type=mp4

libgen.io/search.php?req=introduction+to+mathematical+reasoning
>>
>>59400154
>Use a Linux/Mac machine for your work & productivity, do not use Windows
>Do not play video games, try to avoid associating computers with entertainment

Stupid, illogical advice.
>>
>>59425650
>you probably have to spend a few dollars a month on Adwords if you want people downloading your app

You need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get decent visibility (top 100 ranking).
>>
>>59399983

Go, go learn some shit before you even start. You're going to be taught concepts at a snails pace, but that's not what's great about going to college/University. You're about to get the chance to spend a good chunk of time without any real responsibilities where you can just educate yourself.

DO NOT RELY ON THE LECTURES

Live, eat and breathe programming. Do some fun shit.

As a married man, with full time work, trying to become a programmer/webdev in his spare time so that when the missus graduates as a Vet, and we end up having kids, that I don't become a worthless house husband regretting my life choices... I would fucking kill for even a day a week to myself to just read books and practise concepts.

You need to start now! Because you'll get there, and you'll be surrounded by a couple of idiots who don't even know what a variable is, AND THEY WILL RAISE THEIR HAND CONSTANTLY TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT DUMB SHIT. THEY WILL ACTIVELY WASTE YOUR TIME.
>>
>>59400012

You know, I've never actually read SICP. Is it actually all that like 'K and R' is?

Or is it just a red hot dank meme of /g/?
>>
>>59403252
learn math and don't be such a flaming faggot
>>
>>59399983

Learn how the CPU and memory allocation works if you don't know already. Understanding that will greatly help you out when you inevitably begin to C.
>>
>>59425703
So what kind of degree do you have, and how did you even land an interview for your job?
>>
I am doing Discrete mathematics with application + algorithms by sedgewick

gitgud?
>>
is algorithms in c enough to get prepared for google or cormen?
>>
>>59399983
I'll list things from most important to least important:
Most:

>Make friends who will work in a group with you. Your professors will make a big deal about how "individual work is not group work" and that working as a group is "collusion" but they just say that to cover their own arses in the case of blatant plagiarism. They expect you to work together because tackling issues efficiently as a team is what makes a good programmer - not just the abiity to spit out some arbitrary code.

>After a lecture, go home and watch a youtube video on the same subject. As long as the video isn't by a pajeet, it is likely to give you some useful tips and help reinforce what you learnt or explain some things you didn't initially get. this is much more efficient than reading the same lecture notes over and over again trying to make sense of them.

>Start learning now. research the course and find out what languages are taught in first year. now go watch a 20 part youtube tutorial on that language. preparation is key!

>do little project at home. you can find coding challenges on stack exchange.

>Expect your first year to be hard and be prepared to play catch up with people who already have tons of experience programming. If you can, make friends with these people first.

>Expect a large disparity between your best module and worst. I live in the UK and here 40% is considered a pass. In my first year i got 94% in my best module and 55% in my worst. Try to be good at everything but don't lose confidence if there are some things that you are bad at sonce this is a very wide field

>Upload all of the work you have submitted to github because future employers would like to see how you have progressed over the course of a couple of years. They expect your early code to be bad so don't be afraid to upload it. the important things is showing them how far you have come during your degree as it will suggest to them that you are a fast learner - an invaluable skill in this field.
>>
>>59428781
Also as others have said, join a gym. You'll spend so much time sitting on your ass in front of a screen that if you don't start working out now you'll be doomed to end up looking like your stand CS stereotype. wither skinny and balding or fat and with a neckbeard.

And if you can try to get laid at least once a month to reduce stress - getting a girlfriend you're attracted to is super helpful in this regard as long as she doesn't become a distraction.
>>
File: avgStemKHV.jpg (311KB, 923x1600px) Image search: [Google]
avgStemKHV.jpg
311KB, 923x1600px
>>59428815
>>
>>59428847
i don't get it, I'm saying have sex instead of just focusing on uni constantly. That's the opposite of that picture.
>>
>>59400029
What exactly is a panorama with navigation ??
>>
File: cuck.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
cuck.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>59428920
your advice is good, but majority of cs students are incels and they will end as cucks.

they did not get laid in middle school/hs and its not their choice or decision.
>>
how do I into proofs?
I had a discrete math class that I somehow got a C+ in but I forgot basically all the proof stuff
>>
>>59428491
Sure, but Concrete Mathematics was cowritten by Knuth
>>
>>59409282
How did you get intuition about how to put all those parts together? Do you read guides or look at projects?
>>
>>59399983
/r/cscareerquestions

/g/ is only for memes. Don't forget.
>>
>>59399983
You won't learn shit shit during University.
Create a Github account, make personal projects and contribute to existing open source software.
Look up and use the software they use in the field you want to work in, such as build tools, frameworks, languages etc. Don't "study" them, use them. You'll be ahead of 90% of your fellows if you have experience with those.

Talk to your professors about their work, how you might be able to get started in the field they work in etc. In general, be present around them and try to grab their attention. They often have good connections within the industry and might be able to help you net some job opportunities.
Do your homework, invest time so that you can easily pass the course, but don't waste too much time just to get straight As everywhere. You need time for personal projects.
N E T W O R K with your fellows. They often work next to studying and can also help you net a job. Don't be that fucking shut-in NEET. You'll lose out in the long run and wearing cute socks while posting on /g/ won't make you a better computer scientist.
You may want to look for a job early, even without your BSc/MSc. It doesn't matter if you graduate a year or two later if you already work during that time.
Again, don't do too much Uni work in general. Focus on public side projects and gaining experience. Nobody cares that you got your BSc one semester early, but nobody will hire you because you lack experience.

Tl;dr: Fucking do side projects to gain experience. Most of the shit taught at universities is bullshit you will never need again. Network with fellows and professors.
A BSc is nothing but a reason for companies to pay you more in the long run.
>>
>>59432324
Forgot to add:
Invest most of your time in math and algorithm related subjects.
Most of this will come in handy later on, unless you want to be a subhuman web "developer".
>>
>>59429890
>proofs
Do you want to stay in academia or program solely in Haskell?
No? Then you won't need proofs at all.
>>
File: allin.jpg (153KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
allin.jpg
153KB, 1131x707px
>>59400002
Bonus:
Projects of sub-disciplines(SideNote: Campuses are THE BEST Social Engineering training-ground, unlocked passages and days on roofs) and field outside of field study.
>>
>>59432370
there are more options than code monkey
nasa, nsa, boening, cern.
>>
>>59432522
Even in research at these facilities, they will have dedicated mathematicians for this kind of work.
>>
>>59432522
Hell, a basic proofs understanding helps add more societal rational-ness.

No one said you had to be Einstein, but he proves humans can get better.
>>
>>59399983
dont get scared of math

>if you have a lot of math, dont know how you do it in your country, i was CS in faculty of science and mathematics and in 1st year we had 5 different maths

and every day review what you learned on classes

>my 1st year was very fucking hard, i was like studding math every day for at least 4 hours and after some time it gets easier
>>
>>59406390
CS is CS, Software Engineering is programming and a bit of theory on the side, but mainly programming.
>>
File: 1479433879931.jpg (150KB, 1000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1479433879931.jpg
150KB, 1000x1125px
I'm in the middle of my CS course but after reading this thread, I feel like I've made a mistake. Should I continue to finish this and hope for the best or switch to computer engineering?
>>
>>59426988
>SICP a meme
It's been used for introductory CS classes at MIT for decades. You don't read SICP, you use it as a tool for learning Scheme/Lisp. It's useful if you want to go into AI
>>
>>59428971
How did it end? Did he stage it to prove something to her, or is he in fact a cuck in the making?
>>
File: cuck1.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
cuck1.webm
2MB, 720x404px
>>59433832
>>
>>59433026
somebody can confirm this?

are modern companies using lisp?
>>
>>59432324
you forgot about linkedin account
>>
>>59399983

Learn spacemacs. In spacemacs learn how to use org-mode and git.

Goes without saying that you should use a flavor of GNU + Linux
>>
if the teacher uses powerpoint, don't show up to class. But actually read the powerpoints and do your homework. Enjoy your straight A's.
>>
Just got accepted to a pretty good CS program. Start September.... but I'll be 24... Am I gonna make it? WiIl it matter?
>>
>>59437933
Why not? It's not like anyone puts his DOB in CV.
I'm studying with a guy that's 30 and he already got a job offer in the field.
>>
>>59399983
Improve your social skills.
>>
>>59439825
They'll make you do tech support for customers.
>>
>>59435077
It's not about 'do corporations use this so I can fill a slot?' it's about learning Lisp because when you get it, you become a better programmer.

There are a bunch of security outfits using Common Lisp and Scheme like GrammaTech https://www.grammatech.com/products/codesurfer plus D-Wave hires common lisp programmers. Health industry uses it too look up lambdanative to write scheme apps on a phone that manipulate the sensors to take medical readings.

SICP is a good book but the best book to start out with is HtDP, it's on edx.org as Systematic Program Design. That entire course teaches you types and reasoning about programs which is what any noob should be doing. Afterwards take SICP to learn crazy abstraction techniques and fill in the blanks
>>
>>59427871
>How did you get the job

I attend free grad level discrete math and programming language theory seminars at my local university, given by visiting professors or faculty/grad students, and just talked to the people who frequent these lectures, they offered me the position.

Wherever you live, find the closest university and click on Mathematics Department and go to events page looking for compsci related math of which there will be a lot. There will be free public seminars given weekly depending how big the school is. Anybody can go, not just students.

The Computer Science Dept events page for my closest university is a waste of time, most of the talks are about the dull corporate methods of software engineering or visiting industry shills trying to hype the tech bubble.

Remember there's a bunch of kids who take CompSci these days who just want to go out to Silicon Valley, con somebody into funding their shitty idea and then after 90% marketing and 10% innovation they want to pull the slot lever and jackpot/cash out. There's tons of openings for grad level research available on campuses that aren't being filled because the kids are all chasing that giant bubble.
>>
>>59431892
Look for project-based books on Java web development, Java EE, and Microservices.

If you hate java, you can use C# and ASP.NET instead of Java EE.
>>
Guys im having hard time with the algorithm side of cs, how do i get the grasp of it?
>>
>>59410220
I feel like you pretty much explained me here, however how do I improve?
>>
>>59409282
Ah this is such goodnadvice should be sticky only things i would add tht are important is using react as ur framework 2,angular is pretty but nobody knows wtf is going on with tht sht, also learn node.js(this will stick round4 a while) express,npm install, and sass(witch is izi as fuk) but follow this guys advice most importantly just use react as ur framework
>>
>>59437933
There r 30 year olds who r neets... just study hard n code
Inserturwaifupichere.jpg
>>
>>59403109
>>59403143
>when you get to the point where you have to make big programs, ones with many different files and functions, really think it out before you even start to code
And read up on criticisms of object-oriented programming to save yourself a ton of frustration. Even if you're working with an OO language like c++, use objects incidentally, not as the core design concept. Procedural > OOP.
>>
Take data structures / algorithms very seriously
Make sure you get an internship junior year
>APPLY EVERYWHERE protip defense companies are basically a shoe in
Apply for jobs so you have a job lined up when you graduate.

There are a lot of people that might say, take a break you will work for the rest of your life. But I think it's more important to have a job right out of college then having to look for one for months even years after.

learn C, (java/c++), haskell/rust and you will be solidly rounded.

Python is also very useful for scripting purposes.
>>
>>59408555
Late, but nice trips
>>
>>59442192
almost forgot get above a 3.0GPA otherwise you're worthless trash to HR even if you're from a very good college.
>>
>>59441547
You're a smart guy. I got a lot of respect for you mate. I am a computer science student. Do you reckon I should pick up an applied math major?
>>
File: 1488928132808.gif (930KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488928132808.gif
930KB, 270x270px
>>59399983
You're going to realize around Junior year that getting a CS degree was a mistake as your spending 80 hours a week studying topics completely irrelevant to anything you will ever use.

Source: Disillusioned senior year CS major spending 80 hours a week writing Minix system calls for my operating systems course.
>>
>>59442192
>protip defense companies are basically a shoe in
don't work for one unless you like killing innocent people and being a class traitor.
>>
>>59425044

CS top 20
>>
Can anyone recommend ways to study for discrete math and digital logic? I have been studying a lot for them but I still don't do well.
>>
>>59403547
what if I become my own boss and turn into the "it'z lyke Facebook but for x" kind of guy? will my life still suck?
>>
>>59399983
>Can you guys give me any tips on how to be successful in the field?

1. Be good at math.

2. Don't be bad at math.
>>
>>59400154
>do not use Windows
why
>>
>>59441547
>>59441547

what's a good book on discrete math? I took an advanced logic class so it shouldn't be too hard to make the jump to disc math, I believe.
>>
>>59443613
concrete mathematics by knuth is pretty good
>>
>>59399983
Learn Java. Other languages are neckbeard memes. Java is for serious men who actually want to climb the workplace ladder, have a 401k, and contribute to the economy.
>>
>>59411437
If you didn't sit for the FE or PE exam and don't have the ring, you are NOT a fucking engineer you stupid fuck. Stop using that word.
>>
>>59400029
already exists
>>
>>59400980
>>59403265
>>59413239
working out and cooking your own meals is called being an adult you fucking basement dweller neckbeards. nothing special. improving in your field and realising life is not centered around work and that side-projects/hobbies are just as important does come with time though, but i will assume all of you are no older than 25
>>
>>59400773
this article sucks holy shit
>>
File: 1489313017459.jpg (79KB, 874x684px) Image search: [Google]
1489313017459.jpg
79KB, 874x684px
>>59399983
How important is a good GPA?

Is it something that is bought up?

Do employers care more about the languages you know, how proficient you are in them and what kind of projects you've done?

Is there a certain point in your career where it (GPA) becomes completely irrelevant?
>>
File: absolutedespair.jpg (30KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
absolutedespair.jpg
30KB, 400x366px
>>59432654
>Software Engineering is programming
>>
>>59402937
Underrated.
>>
>>59445187
It's important for your first job especially if you didn't network properly during college or got good internships references.
>>
>>59445187
If you have projects to show that you know what you're doing, and can show to the employer that you have what it takes for the job (want to get it done), you should be good.
>>
>>59445008
This is actually not a meme.

There is much to dislike about Java but it's not all that bad, and it's used widely. Also if you can use Java it just shows your allround programming skills
>>
File: 1475860599944.png (375KB, 763x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475860599944.png
375KB, 763x960px
>>59400771
This had better be b8
>>
>>59445368
>>59445381
I am projected to do a 6 month internship next year. What do you mean by networking? I mean I talk to people at uni. But what else could I be doing? Beside of course outside projects.
>>
>>59400052
do this if you want your career to be ended early from parkinsons and heart failure because you ingested a neurotoxin regularly for several years
>>
>>59445008
Java, C# or C++.
>>
>>59445187
not that important, but usually its a sign

>smart but lazy

is a myth, usually smart people on uni have high gpa because they can do it in short period of time
>>
File: 1471545376680.jpg (32KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1471545376680.jpg
32KB, 480x454px
D-Does a GameMaker Studio game count as a CS side-project?
>>
>>59446132
I do not think so senpai, kek.
>>
File: 1465291492055.jpg (35KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1465291492055.jpg
35KB, 535x577px
>>59446498
but I'm not using drag & drop though
>>
>>59446690
Side project in unity would be probably more interesting.
>>
>>59446809
>c#

atleast do unreal engine if you don't want to learn a slow meme language
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.