[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people from green countries deal with programming languages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (293KB, 1920x974px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
293KB, 1920x974px
How do people from green countries deal with programming languages?
>>
>>59395380

They just use . instead of , when programming. Can you please delete the thread now?
>>
>>59395396
this
>>
>>59395380
people in the grey areas haven't discovered decimals yet
>>
I'm more concerned about how people who aren't native english speakers deal with verbose programming languages. Do some of them sort of learn to speak English, but end up saying everything like they're reading code because that's how they picked it up?
>>
>>59395516
Having variable/function names in Spanish or Russian or whatever sounds like it would be really confusing
>>
>>59395396
This. It's not really difficult. There are ways to output it "correctly" as strings and such for the end user but those aren't more difficult than an integer/float to string conversion and then find and replacing it.
>>
>>59395380
German here, we use . for the decimal point in programming as well

Don't know what would be so difficult about it. Only amerilards have problems with adapting to other conventions for something
>>
>>59395821

You're right. We don't like having to call all our neighbors Mohamed.
>>
>>59395380
As a translator, I face bigger issues

>green country
>code with periods
>text comes in
>"Hey, Anon, put that in English, will you?"
>Text recipient is in green country
>text contains millions
Which do I use? Comma because it's green country, or period because English?

There are also thousands: 1.400 is one thousand four hundred in green countries. 1,400 is one thousand four hundred in blue countries.
>>
>>59395861
Jamal and Tyrone seem to do just fine though
>>
>>59395865
It'd be nice if everyone used spaces for thousand separators
>>
>>59395865
Use half a space or no seperator.
>>
>>59395865
Half space like ISO wants it
>>
>>59395865
Period because it's english, duh
>>
>>59395380
Whenever we need to write reals we use the
X + Y / (10 ^ Z) notation.
42,69 becomes 42 + 69 / (10 ^ 2)
>>
>>59395918
That's fucking retarded

At least write 4.269e1 like normal human beings
>>
>>59395942
The point of the other notation is to not use a decimal mark
>>
>>59395380
>every single programming language uses english (simplified)
>every other english speaking language can still program
Gee, it's not hard.

>>59395516
Eh, most programming languages aren't verbose enough to be like learning English. They don't even have to learn the real meanings of words, just to do X you type Y.
>>
>>59395964
4269e-2

wow so hard
>>
>>59395380
Why the fuck would you use a comma for the decimal mark? Commas are for lists.
>>
>>59395881
>>59395886
>>59395902
That's what I use for regular use and distinction.
>>59395915
True, but it's the possible ignorance of a recipient. If you want to get 1 459$ and you only get one dollar 45 cents, it's shit.
>>
>>59395380
I will never get used to a comma as decimal point. I will always see it as a typo.
>>
>>59395380
What does this mean? We use . as a decimal point in Europe.
>>
>>59395422
I come from one of the grey areas and can confirm use of '.' for decimals and programming alike.

As a bonus, most of the country consumes media from one of the green countries, and 75% can speak that language too so we don't really care and can adapt to reading whichever on say, tv programs, product packaging etc.
Also our native language is derived from arabic as an added mindfuck.
>tl;dr the period '.' wins when given the choice

>>59396193
Not all of yurop does that, there's a ton of variation and I've seen:
>1,500.80 uk
>1'500.80 Switzerland
>1.500,80 italy and majority of yurop
And for SI it is either 1 500.80 or 1 500,80 so both are accepted as the standard.
Been to sweden once and I think they use 1500:80 for some stuff, like prices but someone needs to back me up there because it was a long time ago. The other countries I visited recently or frequently enough to know for certain it's how they do it.
>>
File: reality.png (740KB, 1834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reality.png
740KB, 1834x1200px
>>59395396
/thread
>>
>>59395977
You do realize that notation is specifically invented to be used on computers right?
>>
>using poo in loo numbers
Ill stick to my white numbers thanks.
>>
>be in green country
>go to university
>use both interchangibly

Because let's be honest, if you're using thousands separators for anything under 1 million you're dumb, and if it's anything over 1 million you should be using exponential notation. The bigger problem is having been raised speaking English and using short scale, while people here use long scale (a billion here is a million millions), that can cause some confusion when I forget to change to long scale or convert what others say to me to short scale.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.