[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: graphics-017.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
graphics-017.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
I have a AMD Radeon graphics card which may be not supported by Ubuntu 16.04.
What should I do? Will upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue? If yes, will it work as good as the graphics card works on Windows? Also will have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?

Am I damaging my computer by not using a OS supporting the graphics card?
Also my laptop takes like ~50 seconds to boot? Is that because of the incompatible graphics card?
>>
>>59393122
Check official drivers on AMD's website, there's a small chance they have something in .deb format and compiled for Linux. If they don't, you can probably find a tarball for open source GPU drivers.
>>
>>59393165
My friend got one such driver from one such source you recommended.
His screen blacked out on rebooting and he had to reinstall Ubuntu.
>>
>>59393122
Which model Radeon graphics do you have? The AMD site will tell you last kernel version that supports FGLRX or the proprietary graphics driver for 3D acceleration. You are not damaging your PC, but the new Radeon graphics driver only supports the newer AMD graphics cards.
>>
>>59393165
Also please answer my questions specifically.
>>
>>59393219
http://m.dell.com/mt/http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-14-5459-laptop/pd
>>
>>59393219
Also thank you for your reply.
>>
>>59393231
Just go to synaptic package manager and search "amd" you will get a microcontroller stuff in the non-free category
if it isn't there just add the repo universe and update your package list then try again
>done
>>
>>59393273
Thanks.
>>
>>59393231
Okay then.
>What should I do?
Exactly what I said. Go read the documentation here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

>Will upgrading to 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue?
Try it on a live-disk, ymmv.
>will it work as good as on windows
ymmv once again.
>Will I have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?
ymmv
>>
It appears the proprietary AMD graphics driver for your graphics card (R5 M330) only supports Ubuntu version up to 15.10.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86_64

This means it might work on a newer version of Ubuntu but you won't get the best 3D acceleration and performance. and for your other question, performance will usually always be better on windows, but as long as you have the proprietary AMD Radeon driver for Linux installed, it should be fine.
>>
>>59393198
This happened to me a few days ago. Kept installing and reinstalling the drivers and nothing.
All I was missing was a package required by gdm. It works flawlessly now.
>>
>>59393289
Thanks. I will surly do as you said.
>>
>>59393198
Image your disk first on another PC
>>
>>59393369
My graphics card is M335 and another M330.
>>
>>59393289
The documentation doesn't list my graphics card. See this post.
>>59393252
>>
>>59393122
Please reply guys.
>>59393753
>>
>>59393811
Please reply to this post guys.
>>59393753
>>
>>59393908
where did you guys go?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.