[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hibernating and booting into another OS: Can it work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Windows-OS-and-Linux-OS.png (174KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-OS-and-Linux-OS.png
174KB, 1024x768px
Suppose I have Windows and Linux installed on the same computer. If I hibernate Windows, can I boot into Linux without corrupting the Windows filesystem when I resume Windows? What about the other way around? What if I hibernate one, boot into the other, and mount the hibernated filesystem read/write? Read-only? If this is unsafe, is there any way to detect the hibernated state of the other OS and prevent mounting its filesystem?

Basically, how far can I push this before it breaks, and how dangerous is it near the edge? I think I know the answers to some of the above questions, but for other ones, I have no idea, and for obvious reasons I have not tested this on my own computer. If someone has tested these, please enlighten the rest of us. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific answer to every question; I'll accept any response that answers a reasonable portion.

Let me clarify that when I say "hibernate," I mean the process of writing the contents of RAM to the hard disk and completely powering down the computer. In this state, powering the computer back on brings you through the BIOS and bootloader again, and you could theoretically select another operating system on a multi-boot system.
>>
I am thinking you are talking about "dual booting."
>>
>>59390965

If you hibernate GNU/Linux your shit is written to the swap space/file, so there shouldn't be a problem with using Windows. I don't know where the Windows' hibernation stuff is stored, but I'm guessing there should be a file somewhere, and everything should be fine as long as you don't touch it or other system files.
>>
>>59390965
>Let me clarify that when I say "hibernate," I mean the process of writing the contents of RAM to the hard disk and completely powering down the computer. In this state, powering the computer back on brings you through the BIOS and bootloader again, and you could theoretically select another operating system on a multi-boot system.

thats a lot of text to say SHUT DOWN

macOS can always store stuff in RAM even when you turn off your computer completely. Its in a perma 'hibernate' state i guess.

This is just dual booting and ofc its possible you dumbass.
>>
>>59390965
Yes, it's fine.
Anyways, if you want to mount the Windows drive in Linux, you've gotta mount it manually with the remove_hiberfile flag, but beware because it deletes your session data and makes the drive "safe" to mount.
>>
>>59390965
Windows hibernation means copying RAM content into c:/hiberfil.sys and flagging the OS that next time it should first try and use it to restore everything into RAM. If the process fails for any reason, Windows will boot normally (cold boot). The worst that can happen. You can mount Windows's partition just fine while hibernating. Try not to alter hiberfil.sys in any way to avoid hibernation restoration fail (even its date)
>>
>>59391025
hiberfil.sys usually at C:\hiberfil.sys.
>>
>>59391006
Switching between operating systems in a dual boot setup without losing your current desktop session.
>>
>>59391056

this entirely depends on your OS settings. It is super easy to do this in macOS by default.

I can shut down now. Boot into my Manjaro installation and return back to the same tabs, applications etc.
>>
>>59390965
I would just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Why wouldn't you just virtualize one?
>>
>>59391248
Performance concerns, probably.
>>
>>59391333
Win 10 EN LTSB for gaming, Hyper-V for Linux
Use both simultaneously
>>
>>59391365
Bug riddled piece of junk which got even worse with the release of LTSB 2016.
>>
>>59391394
Tell me what bugs please?
>>
>>59390965
Hibernating windows and going into linux works really well. You can just select the Linux OS on your next boot, do your think, and windows will patiently wait.
Linux back to windows I havent gotten to work with the same reliability.
>>
Well,

LTSB 2015
>logon screen bug
>start menu bug if you exceed 512 items
>taskbar flickers with every explorer operation (copy/paste/empty recycle bin)
>leftovers, including Cortana and applications such as feedback and contact

LTSB2016
>even more leftovers from shit like 3D builder, but at least feedback/contact are gone
>defaultuser0 is always created, since the iso is broken by default, that's how microsoft made it
>taskbar flickering still here, start menu now breaks at 1024 items
>32-bit float DirectSound is broken if you pause the playback for more than 30 seconds then resume. to fix you have to stop playback on all programs that use audio

There's more crap broken that I always stumble across when I try to use it and remember why I always rolled back to 7.
>>
>>59391551
Thanks for sharing all that man, didn't know that stuff about 2016, I'm on 2015. 7 x64 EN is good too.

You ever use a useful OS without bugs? Don't think I have.

My taskbar doesn't flicker like that.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.