[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently started using Ubuntu, and I kinda liked the OS. But

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: windows-vs-ubuntu.png (64KB, 720x350px) Image search: [Google]
windows-vs-ubuntu.png
64KB, 720x350px
I recently started using Ubuntu, and I kinda liked the OS. But I don't see a reason to stop using Windows. Most things I can do in Ubuntu, I can do in Windows (some things better in Windows). So, I would like to know a reason to use Ubuntu as my main OS.

PS.: I don't really care about privacy and stuff.
>>
>>59388278

>doesnt have the atrocity called registry

thats all you need
>>
>>59388278

use macOS
>>
>>59388310
You know, as a Windows user for the entirety of my life, I've really never found any issues with the registry. I haven't really messed with it other than to change the Windows 7 logon screen background, or in the Windows 8 beta to enable to start menu and disable that metro crap. What purpose would you have to be messing within the registry? Why do you consider it atrocious?
>>
Why don't you literally kill yourself? How about that OP?
>>
>>59388346

The main problem is that it clutters the longer you use it/the more applications you install.

You basically have to format your Drive every 6-12 Months
>>
>PS.: I don't really care about privacy and stuff.

You should off yourself
>>
File: 1464956462801.png (5KB, 964x691px) Image search: [Google]
1464956462801.png
5KB, 964x691px
>>59388278
>I don't see a reason to stop using Windows
Apart from the ridiculous amount of bloat build into the OS, there's the constant telemetry, complete reset of the OS every time an upgrade occurs, lack of control over updates, bloatware which installs automatically, and ads integrated into the OS in various places. Linux offers more control.

>I don't really care about privacy and stuff.
If you don't care about your privacy and "stuff" you're probably an idiot or at the very least not a power user, so windows 10 will be perfect for you.
>>
>>59388393
There's registry cleaners, you know?
>>
>>59388450
I use my computer most of the times to play games, so that's why I don't care that much to privacy (I may be sounding like a idiot)

>>59388469
Yeah, I am probably not a "power user"
>>
>>59388606
>I use my computer most of the times to play games
>I am probably not a "power user"

yea there's really no reason for you to be on linux then unless you just want to toy around with it.
>>
>>59388673
I liked the OS because I have a pretty shitty PC, and I feel like Linux runs better. I am probably going to stay using linux for browsing and stuff. Also, what is a "power user" to you?
>>
>>59388278
The only people that stay on Linux are open source zealots. They are no different than someone who buys something and then does mental gymnastics to justify the purchase.
>>
>>59388469
I've used Windows all my life and I've tried to use linux, ubuntu, arch, debian, and kali (when I was a skid) but all of them were just too annoying and complicated, everything runs through the terminal.

Yes, you have more control, and yes, it runs faster, but Windows has just always worked for me, I've never had a blue screen on Windows 10 (I have on Windows 7) and I've disabled telemetry and tweaked some of the registry and services to make Windows run perfect for me.

Tell me the best linux distro that I can just install and it just work. (I have tested ubuntu 16.04, no it didn't end well.)
>>
>>59388278

The only reason to make the switch is if you like it enough. No amount of logic we throw at your will compete with the innate comfyness you feel with your OS and the needs it meets for you as a user.

Example - I first tried Linux [Fedora] in 2004/5. I stayed with Windows until 2017 when I, for the first time, deleted Windows totally and switched to Ubuntu. It meets my needs because my computing needs have changed, and I just fucking love it. Also I don't trust MS anymore.

If you don't care about privacy there's even less of a reason for you to switch. If you like Windows, stick with it.
>>
>>59388743
>The only people that stay on Linux are open source zealots.
I disagree. I've always hated Windows. I suffered through OS 9 and X for nearly a decade because I just don't like Windows. Once I found Linux, it was a dream come true. I must admit though, OS X had kind of got me accustomed to having no software and stuff being difficult.
>>
>>59388727
>Also, what is a "power user" to you?
hard to define, but if you use any sort of professional grade software, do any development, find yourself messing around with gpedit or regedit or the command line, writing scripts to automate your workflow, etc: These are all good indicators that you're a power user. If you're gaming and browsing the web: probably not a power user.

>>59388785
>I've never had a blue screen on Windows 10 (I have on Windows 7)
it's been the opposite for me. I've had maybe 5-10 bsod's in my entire windows 7 history, and already well into the double digits with windows 10.

>Tell me the best linux distro that I can just install and it just work.
I much prefer Mint to Ubuntu, also coming from a long time windows user. It works pretty well out of the box, and has (in my opinion) better options built into the settings menu, and a UI much more similar to windows than Ubuntu. You'll probably still find yourself in the terminal occasionally though.
>>
>>59388743

>someone who uses something you don't is automatically a zealot

People have tonnes of reasons for using Linux, FOSS zealotism is necessarily one of them.
>>
>>59388278
>I don't really care about privacy and stuff.

Yes you do, you just don't understand it.
>>
>>59388969
>You'll probably still find yourself in the terminal occasionally though.

This is the biggest point against Linux for Windows users, i feel. They will inevitably find themselves in the terminal at points, and it's very uncomfortable for them.
>>
>>59388474
There's also Linux.
>>
>>59388817
This
For years I had both my windows desktop and Linux laptop and sort of jostled between then

Recently o moved abroad and couldn't bring my desktop with me, don't miss windows or gaming at all honestly.

Using Opensuse btw and I love it
>>
>>59389007
Most people don't have to use the terminal. Especially on Ubuntu. You have the software center or synaptics, terminal is just easier, and obviously quicker.
>>
plebs don't really matter, bro

If you can't into reading code, then open source doesn't really need you around.

Have fun, do whatever! You don't matter.
>>
>>59388278
>So, I would like to know a reason to use Ubuntu as my main OS.
No.
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
A Xubuntu install was the first time I could ever look at my CPU usage and see 0%. Windows was always fucking doing something, even when I wasn't.
>>
>>59389050

Maybe I'm just making an assumption then. I prefer the terminal to Synaptic, if I can find the right commands, it's just easier and feels more natural.
>>
I run windows when I just want to browse and shitpost. I use Linux when I need to get development work done.
>>
>>59389125
The terminal is easier of course, and I guess every faq and instruction always only gives you terminal commands. But still, synaptic can do quite a lot.
>>
>>59388469

>complete reset of the OS every time an upgrade occurs

I wish Linux fans would stop spreading this meme.

It doesnt "completely reset" your OS with EACH upgrade - there was a bug once and with some bigger updates, they fixed it rather quickly. The only kind of updates that work as new installation are so called "feature updates" like Anniversary and incoming Creator. They dont reset settings and the only thing they do reset is sometimes bringing back default wallpaper (in case of 4 Win 10 installations I ran this update, 2 had wallpaper reset to default, 2 didnt) and some, but not all, default apps packages (this really varies between editons - at work, Win10 Pro brought back a lot of apps, including Groove, Solitaire, Bing apps and Xbox, Pro N at laptop and Education at desktop - just Xbox and Solitaire), which is still something that you can remove with running previously prepared script. ALL settings were left intact in all 4 cases I faced - including Group Policies.

You lose credibility when spreading false information, you know.
>>
File: derpununtu.png (79KB, 1118x742px) Image search: [Google]
derpununtu.png
79KB, 1118x742px
>>59389111

I must give it a go, and Lubuntu.

Having said that, here's my current CPU activity with Opera [4 tabs] and Spotify running.
>>
File: green red blue purple pill.png (14KB, 621x176px) Image search: [Google]
green red blue purple pill.png
14KB, 621x176px
>>59388969
Sorry to hear about the BSODs, makes me greater appreciate that it hasn't happened to me yet.

I'll try out Mint, which one should I go with?
>pic related
>>
>>59389196
>The only kind of updates that work as new installation are so called "feature updates" like Anniversary and incoming Creator.
That's what I'm referring to. upDATEs occur frequently and don't reset anything. upGRADEs occur rarely and do reset everything. M$ referred to them as upgrades early on, maybe the terminology has changed.

>there was a bug once and with some bigger updates
The bug you're referring to here was indeed fixed, but only applied to upDATEs also causing resets. This was shortly after the release of windows 10.

>"feature updates" ... dont reset settings and the only thing they do reset is ...
They do reset some settings in addition to what you mentioned: certain default file extensions, telemetry settings, some privacy settings, group policy settings, as well as removing "incompatible" apps like classic shell which can then be immediately reinstalled.

>you can remove with running previously prepared script
In any case this is shit poor design, especially since the difference between and upDATE and upGRADE is completely obfuscated by default despite the completely different behavior.
>>
>>59388278
> I don't see a reason to stop using Windows
try ricing gnu/linux to make computing easier, try different DEs, WMs, init systems
>>
>>59389318
cinnamon
>>
>>59389318
not mint
>>
>>59389318

Another vote for cinnamon. I'm not a Mint user but I've tried it, and cinnamon with Mint is just a beautiful experience [though not quite for me].
>>
>>59389360

>and do reset everything

I just explained to you that they didnt ;_;

>They do reset some settings in addition to what you mentioned: certain default file extensions, telemetry settings, some privacy settings, group policy settings, as well as removing "incompatible" apps like classic shell which can then be immediately reinstalled

Didnt noticed any of that on those 4 installations. I checked settings and group policies to be sure, as well. Never faced situation of removing "incompatible" stuff either, but I cant say anything about classic shell, since I didnt use it.

You sure you dont refer to Home edition? I wouldnt be surprised in that case, since its aimed at people, who dont care about settings, customization and similar things at all.

Another explanation is that European versions behave differently, even non-N versions. One of other students have Home edition and somehow she didnt had pooping ads during work.

>In any case this is shit poor design

That I have to run this script? Wont argue with that. The separation of "upgrades" and "updates"? I kinda can understand the idea behind this.

There is a reason, why LTSB version of Enterprise is often suggested on /g/ - it dont receive "upgrades", unless you download ISO with new compilation and run it on your own. On use Server 2016, which is also more modular (early versions would start without explorer at all, so you had to install it manually with PowerShell.
>>
File: plebtier.png (5KB, 359x65px) Image search: [Google]
plebtier.png
5KB, 359x65px
>>59389376
>>59389393
On the way
>Pleb Tier Interwebs
>>
Windows has been eroding away user control over the OS for years. Windows 10 pushes the envelope quite far. You can't control when updates are downloaded and installed. You can't turn off its internal virus/malware scanning.

Windows automatically installs whatever apps MS wants you to have. A new installation comes with Candy Crush and a few other garbageware apps. When you uninstall them, Windows does an update and installs them again without asking.

If you find all of this acceptable, then go ahead and use Windows. If you want control over what your OS does, use Linux.
>>
LET ME TELL YOU WHY LINUX IS A BIG SHIT YOU PIECES OF FUCK!

1 - Linux is full of bugs if you don't want oudated stable debian obsolete shit

2- isn't compatible with all hardware out of the box as windows (and it's not like you can google "download x driver"; install -> problem solved)

3- isn't compatible with all printers as windows (and the drivers that come with it in the CD or website will not work)

3- breaks with new updates -> there will be days you need to finish that work and your wifi card stopped working or grub will not boot

4- actually isn't that secure or private as people say because proprietary software / vault 7 / BIOS IntelME / open source software isn't that secure at all, not to mention you probably gonna need proprietary modules to get your laptop working which contains many proven backdoors

4- it doesn't work with the software that you will need for your university, work or your life, you will run into many problems which you will not face with windows

5- forget games (or fun)

6- forget life, just live in depression and feel pride about it, waste valuable time of your life doing useless rices and post screenfetches of your austism in chans to feel 1% better

i'm done. linux fanboys are just as bad as macOS or Windows fanboys
Linux is shit
And I know Windows is shit too but it werks and i'd rather be a botnet knowing nobody really gives a fuck and it won't matter because in 50 years i'll be dead and at least I lived a life instead of protect myself and not live a life at all!

you guys continue to be fucking autists not being aware there's actually a life outside to enjoy instead of compiling your sources or doing your stupid rices, maybe someday when you're near death you'll understand how useless it is to use linux and how privacy is a myth created by paranoid people
>>
>>59389731

A lot of options shifted to group policy editor in fact. For example:

>You can't control when updates are downloaded and installed
>You can't turn off its internal virus/malware scanning

You can, but with GP now instead of control panel. Which is weird, but not true to say that you cant control it anymore at all. Which is also why Home editon is basically useless in most cases, yet I know a lot of people, that dont care and use it just fine. I guess not everyone wants to have control over his or her OS.

>Windows automatically installs whatever apps MS wants you to have. A new installation comes with Candy Crush and a few other garbageware apps. When you uninstall them, Windows does an update and installs them again without asking.

Enterprise and its variations like Education can be easily configured to prevent that. While I DONT support shifting this control to Enterprise users only, again, you cant say that it will behave like this no matter what you do.
>>
>>59389527
>I just explained to you that they didnt ;_;

I should have said "resets everything related to OS customization", which has been my experience thus far. I store my data separately, so for me that's pretty much everything.

>You sure you dont refer to Home edition?

Happened on my work laptop (Home), my personal laptop (Pro). Actually I just remembered I documented the changes last time it happened on my laptop (Pro) with the intent of making a script as you mentioned:

anniversary update changes:

everything in settings under
- updates (turn off p2p, reapply policy, disable services (update, module loader), remove mus overlay)
- maps (automatic updates off)
-feedback (turn off)
-telemetry (reapply policy)
-background apps (turn all off)
everything cortana related (turn off, break)
one drive (remove integration, uninstall)
take ownership context menu entry (reinstall)
all default apps (remove)
classic shell (reinstall, "incompatible")
uac revert (reapply registry script)
spybot anti-beacon (reinstall, "incompatible")
- reimmunize, some options reset
scheduled tasks
- ceip (disable)
- winsat (disable)
default app - chrome (reverted to edge, change back)
wallpaper and style customizations (reapply)
>>
>>59389731
everything you said is not true

use a tool called destroy windows spying and you can disable updates, windows defender, firewall, uninstall metro apps, telemetry, block microsoft hosts and every other "evil" stuff
>>
If you do programming (especially in languages like C, C++ - also Python but to a lesser extent) then a Linux distro is really the only way to go - ok you can use a Mac too I guess, but why bother when it's so expensive?

It is primarily due to programming that I find myself hardly ever booting into Windows any more (and the only reason I ever used to was to play games, which I don't have time for these days).

Try writing and compiling C and/or C++ programs on Windows and you'll quickly levitate towards Linux for orders of magnitude greater convenience (and reliability).
>>
>>59389779
Plz no bully
>>
>>59389875
how about stop shilling people into losing their lives while using linux?

how about linux users stop trying to convince everyone else to use linux as well??
hell i was a linux user for a very long time and partially still am and I think it's much worse atitude trying to convince people with fraud facts to change linux than make a naive post full of truths instead of lies
>>
>>59389835

Weird, since like I said, in my case the only things that were changed was wallpaper and few packages readded.

Maybe what I suspected is true and european versions behave in different way and are not as invasive. At the other hand, while my laptop Pro is N version, my desktop Education is normal one (could download it in "English (UK)" language version or my own country one, picked the latter) but again, maybe its not the same "normal" as US ones.
>>
>>59389920
>how about stop shilling people into losing their lives while using linux?
No one in this thread is even doing that. Also it's completely possible to unironically use linux and still have a life. But gross generalizations are fun too I guess.
>>
>>59389982
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59389864
I really don't see the point here about don't using Windows to program in C and C++, there are the same compilers and IDEs from both OS. Tecnically, why Ubuntu would be better than Windows in this case?
>>
>>59389017
>install one program and keep using the os you like
>learn something completely new that you might not like in the end
tough choice
>>
>>59390041
Because compiling C/C++ code on Windows essentially requires cygwin so you might as well use Linux anyway as cygwin is limited in scope. Alternatively you could use MSVC but there's a lot of non-standard stuff in the Microsoft compiler which will allow features not commonly accepted by GCC and/or Clang, so writing cross-platform C/C++ code using MSVC is highly non-advisable.
>>
File: crybaby.jpg (13KB, 590x385px) Image search: [Google]
crybaby.jpg
13KB, 590x385px
>>59389920
>>59390027
Damn, we got some butthurt phags from /b/ in here
>>
>>59390142

>Because compiling C/C++ code on Windows essentially requires cygwin

Why I could do that without cygwin is a mystery then.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.