[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is using openWRT less safe than using some producer original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: openWrt.png (114KB, 590x433px) Image search: [Google]
openWrt.png
114KB, 590x433px
is using openWRT less safe than using some producer original router linux based software with closed source?

I mean, statistically there is higher chance that somebody will hack into router with openWRT than in some closed source router?
>>
>Open source firmware with potential vulnerabilities
vs
>Proprietary firmware with backdoor

Pick your poison
>>
>>59382864
>>Open source firmware with potential vulnerabilities
>vs
>>Proprietary firmware with backdoor and potential vulnerabilities
FTFY
>>
>>59382864
But potential backdoor is usually much less harmful than linux open source os that will be hit everyday by hundreds of chinese bots
>>
>>59382930
>security by obscurity
>>
speaking of...

Anyone installed OpenWRT onto TP-Link TL-841N v11 yet? The forum thread no longer gets replies and the wiki wasn't updated, I don't feel like wasting time flashing a broken image / image without LuCI.
>>
>buy off-the-shelf thing
>it does one job fairly well for a low price
>it's never updated and is thus vulnerable to exploits from years ago
sheeeeit
>>
>>59383118
its not, there were only few cases of in router history, despite fact that they are hundreds of billions of routers. Its like 0.001% of all routers that had vuln and there was only one case in history where exploit was result of hw chip problem that was not possible to fix.

I do not know about openWRT statistic but there is high chance that its bigger.

If routers are vuln to some old years exploit, then are you able to hack any router with 5yo linux kernel?
Usually to run exploit you need access to shell, how are you going to get access to shell?
>>
>>59384069
I think the bigger problem is routers with default passwords, that a browser based exploit can take over
>>
File: chrome_2017-03-13_14-33-04.png (22KB, 1094x357px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-03-13_14-33-04.png
22KB, 1094x357px
>>59382815

>not using lede
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.