[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: s-l1600.jpg (102KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
102KB, 1200x1200px
>be me
>still using membrane keyboard and looking for mechanical one
>decide to get a sampler from ebay for a feel
>spot cheap one but no cherry name on the switches
>what do?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Tester-Kit-Clear-Keycaps-Plastic-4-Key-Switches-Sampler-for-Cherry-MX-/232051186208?hash=item3607541a20:g:igAAAOSw6n5XtBWK
>>
>>59380416
>implying that a keyboard can't be membrane and mechanical
>>
Get a sampler with cherry clears OP.
>>
>>59380416
those are cherrys

definitely get a cheap sampler first, it's not guaranteed that you'll like mechanical more than rubber dome
>>
desu get a cheap black switch one. steelseries 6vg2 is the best imo
>>
Even if they're not actually cherry, they'll be close enough to give you an idea, the big difference with cherrys is they are more consistent across the entire board, their actuation weight only varies by a few grams, whereas the chinese switches can varry by upwards of 5-10 grams, which is far more noticeable. If you're just trying to find what type of switch you like, this should be fine.
>>
>>59380416
No. All mechanical keyboard switches other than buckling springs are bullshit memes fedoralords waste money on.

Just buy a Unicomp Ultra Classic I'd you want a good keyboard.
>>
>>59380416
I bought that tester kit from the same seller. The switches have the Cherry label, they look genuine.

They also feel worse than the keys on my cheap keyboard.
At least I'm glad I only wasted $4 and didn't buy the whole memechanical keyboard. Dodged a bullet there.
>>
>>59381664 here
>that tester kit
Just wanted to add that I don't know if it's exactly the same listing, I bought it last year. It could be that the guy used to sell real Cherrys and now sells fakes.
>>
File: IMG_20170314_025110.jpg (287KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170314_025110.jpg
287KB, 1080x1920px
>>59380416
>spot cheap one but no cherry name on the switches

Found it.
>>
Also, OP for reference, anyone who absolutely shits on cherry and say they prefer membrane (>>59381664) or ONLY buckling spring is real mechanical (>>59381540), they're simply on board the contrarian train, they just like being different and since cherry switches are getting very popular over the last 5+ years, they're going to shit on them in force.

They don't even always believe the shit they spout, but if it means they convinced someone not to buy a cherry switch, they've accomplished their job.
>>
>>59381791
I don't prefer every membrane over Cherry MX, but I do prefer my Logitech Internet 350 for sure. It just feels better, and I'm sure if you gave it to random people who weren't memed by /g/ they would prefer it too.
>>
>>59381791
What is the purpose of a mechanical switch, in your eyes? For me, it's to receive enough feedback at actuation to not bottom out every key. I tried Cherry MX reds, brown, and clears and none of them helped nearly enough.

Buckling springs, on the other hand, actually DO provide enough feedback and keystroke cushioning (because springs) that I don't bottom out my keystrokes.

It's not rocket surgery. Buckling springs offer WAY more feedback.
>>
>>59382071
>What is the purpose of a mechanical switch, in your eyes?

To provide a consistent actuation point with every keypress.

I have NO need for MORE feedback, in fact I use 45 gram Cherry MX reds which a linear switches and have no feedback besides bottoming out.
>>
File: unicomp_model_m.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
unicomp_model_m.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>59381540
Spotted a nigga with refined taste
>>
>>59381770
>1080x1920
Using a 9:16 phone instead of master race 10:16
>>
>>59381540
Spotted the poorfag. You can get a mech for less than a membrane gaymur gear keyboard if you look well enough.
>>
>>59384481
Maybe you should Google who Unicomp is before you embarrass yourself any further, keyboard pleb.
>>
File: my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg (68KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg
68KB, 460x300px
>>59380416
>a sampler for keyboard switches
this exists
>>
>>59384649
I was referring to your "waste their money" comment, I know what Unicomp make. Usually the only people claiming mechs are a waste of money are sour grape poorfags.
>>
>>59382295
What do you find if the best technique to remove these keys?
>>
File: consider this.png (2MB, 1422x869px) Image search: [Google]
consider this.png
2MB, 1422x869px
>>59380416
Use low profile membrane keyboard. It's quiet, it gets the job done, it's comfy and very cheap.
Try out mechanical keyboards in the shop and at friends place to see what all the hype is about.

Key profile is nearly 3 times as high, in literally all mechanical keyboards. The button presses feel kinda better but not by much. Lot of loud mechanical keyboards and even the quiet ones are still bit louder than membrane. Cost a shit ton more.

I mean, if you like them sure use them. But I found it to be just a meme not worth the money. Until they invent low profile mechanical keyboards I literally don't care.
>>
>>59384890
>Until they invent low profile mechanical keyboards
>what is the Tesoro Gram Spectrum
time to care, anon
>>
File: 264.jpg (114KB, 1545x788px) Image search: [Google]
264.jpg
114KB, 1545x788px
>>59385316
>time to care, anon
My current keyboard is 2cm in total profile with the keys having only 3mm profile and an actuation point of about 1.5mm and total travel distance of 3mm.
Compare that to pic related. 6.2mm profile of the keys, 1.5mm actuation and 3.5 total travel of the keys.
I mean this is certainly much better than classical huge profile mechanical keys, but not better than what I have. Still hopefully I will get to check this out somewhere, who knows maybe it's just good enough...
>>
>>59380416
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>59384670
keyboard hipsters are the fucking worst

I bought a cherry meme keyboard and I would've been just as happy with my old microsoft comfort keyboard

FUCK YOU YOU PLACEBO PIECES OF SHIT

>b-but i-it feels better

NO, it feels different which you tell yourself being better because of the keyboard hipster community
>>
>>59380416
get something with more switches. The ones you're likely to stick with are going to be greens, blues, browns, reds, and clears. Make sure you can try all of those.
>>
>>59385473
you dont buy a mechanical keyboard for the feel, you buy it for the clickity clacks
>>
>>59385557
That's even more retarded. I want my typing to be as silent as possible, not sound like a typewriter.
>>
>>59385557
yeah the meme cherry I did buy does sure as fuck keep me from using it at night since it makes loud noises

inb4
>should've used o rings
no, should've save the money
>>
>membrane
>mechanical
Sorry, but I'm just not that fucking autistic about keyboards to give a shit either way.
>>
>>59385583
Its autism in its purest form.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.