[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer monitor as camera?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1486817875163.jpg (97KB, 540x653px) Image search: [Google]
1486817875163.jpg
97KB, 540x653px
So I was at work the other day and ran into a guy, we started talking about security issues and he said it was a while ago he had a friend that had a device that could wirelessly use a computer monitor(no cam) as a camera and see into peoples houses. He said crooks would get these things and find out who to rob with them.

Is there any feasibility to this?
>>
>>59377297
No, your friend is retarded.
>>
Your friend is spewing BS. There is van eck phreaking though, thatletsyou see what's on the mobitor. It's more meant for crts though
>>
>>59377297
A monitor is a shit ton of little lights and screen in front of them controlling their appearance. There's nothing to capture video.
Sounds like two autists trying to one up one another.
>>
>>59377297
bump because I want more people to tell you how retarded you and your two friends are
>>
>>59377297
We're all lying to you. We've been watching you this whole time.
>>
Sounds like someone twisted speakers and microphones working the same(opposite) way into monitors, and someone being stupid enough to believe it.
>>
>>59377297
pic is gold, thanks OP
>>
The little LEDs in some monitors not only give out light but can detect how far the light goes before being interrupted like lasers on those measuring things. This means that when all of the lights are on they can create a sort of 3d image of a room it is point out into. There wont be much detail but it's enough to see when you're jerking off.
>>
yes some monitor can act as cameras, for now it's limited to reading qr codes a few inches away but it's getting better.
>>
>>59379972
that´s what they tell you
but in reality it´s already more than good enough to recognize people and what they do and they just don´t want any controversy so they pretend it´s only qr codes
>>
>>59379972
do you have a source for this?
>>
>>59377297
Most modern monitors have this capability. At higher frequencies (120-144Hz), the vibrations of the pixels during the light manufacturing process can amplify each other, particularly if they output similar wavelengths. To counteract this, monitors are able to sense the pixel vibrations and actively interfere to dampen the oscillation.

I haven't heard of any exploits of this nature, but it wouldn't be impossible to reconstruct a scene by detecting vibrations caused by reflected light. I'm not certain that colors could be reproduced this way due to light fracturing, but you could certainly use a monitor to construct a 3D map of the area similar to sonar.

If you're worried about it, I'd advise turning your monitor towards a vibration sink when not in use. Good candidates are extremely large masses of soft tissue, such as your mother.
>>
>>59377297
>Literally 2018
>not using crt monitor
Kill yourself
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his friend talking about a power line attack?

Then again, it'd require such incredibly fine instruments it might be utterly infesable, if not outright theoretically impossible.
>>
>>59377297
Yea I can.
Isn't it somewhat uncomfortable to have your left elbow constantly on your desk?
>>
>>59380007
You're retarded. This QR shit barely works as-is and it's basically foolproof. It's impossible to record more than a few inches away from the screen without a lens. I doubt that hardware recording will ever be worth paying for until we start seeing more curved monitors.
>>
>>59380123
I remember this meme.

Funnily enough, neither of my elbows are properly on my desk.
>>
>>59380136
that´s what they want you to think
after all where would we get to if people knew that their monitors are spying on them
you are too naive
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.