[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10? I currently have Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10? I currently have Windows 8.1, but I was thinking about upgrading to 10. I don't care about the telemetry, but I was wondering if 10 is buggy or has problems. The last time I used 10, I frequently had problems with shutting down my computer and with some games.
>>
Can no one give me an answer?
>>
@59378045
No, we don't help shills.
>>
>>59378228
How am I shilling? I just want to know if it is worth upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1.
>>
File: 1439395147733.jpg (72KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1439395147733.jpg
72KB, 500x750px
>>59378341
The biggest performanc improvement you will see is actually from going back to 7.
>>
>>59378354
I would go back to 7, but my computer's manufacturer doesn't have drivers for my model. My games also don't run well on 7. I don't really like 8.1, but I'm not sure if 10 is better.
>>
If you play non-AAA ggames you can easily run them on gnu/linux with Wine.

Fuck the microjew
>>
>>59378396
I do play AAA games though. I frequently play Grand Theft Auto V.
>>
>>59378395
>but my computer's manufacturer doesn't have drivers for my model
You can install Linux if you need something that just werks.
What drivers are giving you issues on what hardware?
>>
>>59378395
Yes they do, you're just not looking hard enough. Even if they didn't, Windows 8 and 8.1 drivers are likely to work.
>>
>>59378423
>>59378450
Linux can't play AAA games though. The manufacturer's page has drivers for my computer model, but they don't have drivers for 7. https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/581/0/2/45/

I think when I tried 7 a long while back, there were some Internet problems, and Grand Theft Auto IV wouldn't run.
>>
>>59378473
What device do you need the driver for?
>>
>>59376225
> Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10?
You mis-spelled "downgrading".
>>
File: ms.jpg (772KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ms.jpg
772KB, 1920x1200px
I'm going to try to be objective here. The operating system is not very good for a myriad of reasons beyond the simple telemetry problem (which is a big problem.) You can search "Why Windows 10 Sucks" and find a decent write-up but in a few brief points:
>Windows 10 removes crucial control of the OS from the user. Using enterprise only partially remedies this (and manages to introduce other problems for the average user.)
>The UI is a complete clusterfuck.
>There is absolutely zero assurance of information security. Basically assume that your entire computer is compromised all the time.

Now I researched this before going in. So you might ask why I even bothered. Well installing Windows 7 with a NVME SSD is a slightly complicated process ("Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD").

I think until Windows 10 Microsoft maintained a strange but acceptable track record wherein every improvement was usually accompanied by one or two non-critical problems. In Windows 10 the philosophy seems to have shifted to basically creating the operating system as a data-mining service (similar to Facebook) while simultaneously having the audacity to ask for an upfront payment and introducing real technical problems for people trying to do work on their computer. Put in simple terms you cannot even control what software is installed on your machine.

If you need Windows for gaming or whatever (I get it) I would stick with Windows 7 and actually dual boot into Linux distro of your choice for general computing.
>>
>>59376225
I'm using Win10 for work, everyday purposes and some gaming (very low-spec gaming, though).
Never had any problems. It's recommended for you to get at least Pro version (or better - Insider), so you'll have configurable updates and stuff.

Suggestions/ads in start menu can be turned off in settings. Live tiles (large squares in the Start menu) can be unpinned (though if you'll want to put them back on it might be a bit of a pain).
Automatic restarts can be configured to not arise during working hours. You can prevent the system from automatically updating by setting your internet connection to metered if you wish so.

I honestly don't see any reason to use Windows 8 over 10. I, myself, went from 7 to 10 and I'm completely satisfied with it.

WSL is also pretty neat if you're into that stuff. I'm currently running a Rails via RVM and a MySQL server under it and it just works.
>>
>>59378503
I don't remember exactly. When I was on 7, I checked the device manager, and there were a few errors for some devices. I was just trying to use Windows 8 drivers for those devices, but it didn't work out that great.
>>
get win10 ltsb, it is worth trying and just werks
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.