[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installing arch linux for the first time. Can someone help a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1454376547003.jpg (1MB, 2190x1274px) Image search: [Google]
1454376547003.jpg
1MB, 2190x1274px
Installing arch linux for the first time. Can someone help a dumb fuck out?

How large should my root partition be compared to my logical partition?

Should the logical partition be larger than the root? Will the root only be holding system files and other junk like that?
>>
>>59375211
20G is usually ok for /

that is if /home has its own partition.
>>
short answer: it depends
long answer: it doesnt matter

welcome to gnu/unix, where everything is a file so nothing is and all of it makes no sense
>>
>>59375229
fuck you
>>
>logical partitions
use GPT

>How large should my root partition be
depends on what you plan to put on it

my root currently has 15G of stuff on it, and it's got some big things on it
>>
>>59375211
it depends how much shit you install/need

i've been running arch from a 4GB usb memory for almost a year.

you need around 100MB for boot, i would recommend 10GB for your /, and the rest for /home

if you have your home in a separate partition is easier to nuke your install and switch to other distro or reinstall
>>
Set up LVM2 for partition 2 or partition 3 if you're on UEFI, since that will also require a physical ESP along with the already required physical /boot to load the LVM in the first place.
>>
i have a 120Gig ssd that i dual-boot with windows 7 (for gaming). 30G is for winblows. on the linux side, i went with /boot 500Mb, / (root) 20G, swap 8G, and remainder /home.
that said, and i'm not trying to get too technical, this requires an extended partition, sooooo...
/boot & / are together, then swap, /home at the end.
finally, if you too want to dual-boot, you must install windows first, as it does not play well with other OSes and will take over the disk. install linux last & the bootloader will give you options for both at startup.
good luck!
>>
>>59377139
> swap 8G
too big
>>
>>59378390
nah man hes compiling supertextures for his hyper-mainframe gpu that runs his 5 8k monitors
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.