[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infosec Career Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1486757767076.png (284KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486757767076.png
284KB, 640x640px
Hi just starting my B.S. degree in Information Security. Hoping along the way to find out more insight of the actual jobs out there. Personally I think it'd be neat to work with state police doing forensic data recovery or whatever they need done. Haven't ruled out working for a bank or you know... the big four agencies.

Are there any anons here work in infosec analyst? Or even auditing? I'm really curious how these departments work and what the average 8 hour day to day is like. And of course I'd like to know how someone can become a CIO and earn over 130k, or better yet do it before they're 30.

Any insight/help appreciated. Shitposting welcome. Fuck it, I encourage it.

>pic unrelated
>>
InfoSec analyst here working in a SOC. mostly respond to any security "incidents" received. Work 10 hrs a day 4 days/week

>not even mad
>>
>>59373313
>fell for the infosec meme
>now just working a shitty helpdesk job hoping I can get moved up to junior sysadmin
Oh well, I'd be in the same place having taken fewer fun classes if I had never heard of cybersecurity.
Beware that entry level positions in network security and digital forensics are severely oversaturated right now. Having a specific degree helps, many schools only have a concentration if that, but in my experience (and others who graduated with me), the whole job hunting exercise will likely be pure disappointment until you start thinking about your career as being in IT rather than infosec.
>>
You idiot

I'm a software engineer that is easily better than every single junior infosec at infosec. Why? Because I wrote vulnerable systems, fixed vulnerable systems and then learned to make secure ones.

My job makes you obselete - there are no vulns to find. You will either A. Be a bloody rockstar that makes 400k a year by bug hunting for google or B. Be a jobless failure.

Which one is more probable?

No assuming, just ask yourself. If it's A, great! I hope we'll meet one day and you will pwn my core systems. Otherwise, change degrees... Quickly.
>>
if you picked the correct school (one that gets money from the government and works with the nsa) you will turn down internship and job offers

you wont be a cio before you are 30

if you are not making 6 figures within 3 years at the same job, you should have moved somewhere else by then. (6 figures equivalent in non inflated area)
>>
>>59374328
Hey, another software engineer who thinks he can handle every administrative detail of securing the company's network, navigate all the regulations for handling protected customer information, and investigate breaches in a way that holds up in court. All that and more, plus his actual job.

It's incredible that companies still have IT or legal departments at all, obviously their software engineers can do all that better than the idiots who specialize in such things. And don't even get me started on accounting, all they do is fill out forms! If only the software engineers were turned loose on that, the occupation would have been dead decades ago.
>>
>>59374328
now configure a kernel
>>
>>59374041

neat. what types of responses are you expected to provide?

>>59374328

friend of mine graduated with a bachelors in cyber security and got an infosec auditing position, salary 85k with a 5k hiring bonus two weeks after graduating. life isn't black and white m8
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.