[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Void Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

What's your opinion about Void Linux?
http://www.voidlinux.eu

>Void Linux is an independent distribution, developed entirely by volunteers.
>Unlike trillions of other existing distros, Void is not a modification of an existing distribution. Void's package manager and build system have been written from scratch.
>Rolling release
no systemd
>We use runit as the init system and service supervisor.
>xbps-src is the xbps package builder, written from scratch with a 2-clause BSD license.
>This builds the software in containers through the use of Linux namespaces, providing isolation of processes and bind mounts (among others). No root required!
Additionally xbps-src can build natively or cross compile for the target machine, and supports multiple C libraries (glibc and musl currently).

Sounds like Arch mixed with Gentoo, why don't you use it then?
>>
>>59372524
i'm forced to abandon arch because of x86 being dropped, so i'm switching to void
>>
>>59372567
>x86
>2017
What?
>>
>>59372567
why not debian?
>>
>>59372524
>Void's package manager and build system have been written from scratch
But why?

At least tell me they have nginx, MariaDB, ufw and fail2ban on their package manager
>>
>>59372604
why not? sounds like good selling point (better than another, useless ripoff distro like solus)

>nginx, mariadb, ufw, fail2ban
all of them are there
http://www.voidlinux.eu/packages/
>>
>>59372524
been running void for ~2 weeks now
+ boots fast
+ i like the package manager quite a lot
(+ doesn't use systemd. i don't personally give a flying fuck if my desktop os uses systemd or not as long as it works)

i would say that if youre happy with your current os it's not worth the switch. After you get your most used programs installed it doesn't really matter all that much which distro you're running
>>
>>59372694
how are packages in void? I mean, are they vanilla or more like arch, with libraries and headers stored in one package?
>>
File: serveimage.png (55KB, 264x138px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
55KB, 264x138px
>>59372524
>non free software
Disgusting.
>>
>>59372524
Maybe I'm dumb but I don't understand the benefit of building software in containers. is this to make sure they don't eat all the cpu?
>>
>>59372774
fuck off you slimy toe jam eating commy
>>
>>59372829
>Commy
kek
>>
>>59372524
people run gentoo,and arch cause of the community. The community that creates the best wiki,and forum posts to fix issues
>>
>>59372774
the more time i spend on /g/ the more i realized that most people here are literally just retarded and just spout memes to fit in
>>
>>59372902
You're at a good point then. There are help, quality posts here. You just need to filter out the shitposts like that one to find them.
>>
>>59372827
It's just more secure, that way no script can rm -rf your /, it works only on container.
>>
>>59372902
Try the generals. Usually better than the random threads which is quite sad.
>>
Just what the world needs, another linux distribution.
>>
>>59372902
>>59372926
>>59372970
you dummies are literally missing the point of 4chan
do you happen to be women?
>>
>>59372992
>i go to reddit for serious posting xD
>>
File: CIA.jpg (181KB, 636x605px) Image search: [Google]
CIA.jpg
181KB, 636x605px
>>59372902
true. he's posted that pic as much times as i have posted this one.
>>
>>59372524
I have yet to try it, I do like what I've read about it
>>
>>59373053
Same, still don't know why it didn't gain traction. Looks like better Arch Linux.
>>
Is is about as easy to install as Arch? Might give it a try on my laptop.
>>
>>59372524
>Void's package manager and build system have been written from scratch.
what's the fucking point? It's not like there's something wrong with the existing ones. This is just creating more overhead, more repos, more problems a la outdated packages or packages not yet being ported, etc

I thought void could be interesting but then I realized it has literally 0 good reasons to exist. I'm sure if I wanted a barebones, simple, small distro, there already exist such ones.
>>
>>59373072
Give it some time, it's relatively new, at least compared with the most popular distros out there.
>>
Looks interesting. I might give it a try when I have time.

I'm not a fan of the forum style though.
>>
>>59372992
>4chan exists for le meemays

It's sad that so many waves of newfags have come through that the current population actually thinks this is true. I guess it is true at this point, but it still sucks to remember when people treated this place like a Futaba-style English imageboard, as that's what it actually is.
>>
>>59372854
When will people stop jerking each other off over the Arch wiki? It has to be one of the most overrated things I've ever seen in my life.
>>
What DE would you/do you use? Enlightenment is pretty cool.
>>
I'll put it on my Thinkpad when I build my new PC.

>Running Linux on your main system

shiggy diggy
>>
Anyone successfully get f2fs to work? It only shows up as ext4 when I try to format it.

>>59375982
>living in the 90s
>>
>>59372524
Why do they call it Void Linux?
Because when you install it you're going to turn 90 degrees and throw your hard drive into the void.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.