[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Server VM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: win2012.jpg (15KB, 650x389px) Image search: [Google]
win2012.jpg
15KB, 650x389px
I have Server 2012 in a VM.

I want to network it to my physical PC and add it to my domain. As well as this I want to be able to remote access the server externally through remote desktop connection via an IP address.

Is this possible to do virtually?
>>
>>59370603
yes. you just need to setup the VM's network connections to allow the VM connectivity. how you do this and what settings you use depend on the virtualization software you are using.
>>
>>59370603
Yes, refer here: http://www.tecmint.com/centos-7-installation/
>>
>>59370674
I am using VM Workstation.
I have set up a host only connection, which after doing some research is what I need to do.

Not sure what ip addresses to use, I used CMD to find the ip of the VM which I can ping from my physical PC. But I can't ping my physical PC from the VM.

I am also not sure what to use as the DNS ip address.

>>59370725
>Cent OS
Anon, pls.
>>
>>59370768
>Windows server
>Server
>>
>>59370768
is the host PC the domain controller? or is the domain controller a different computer/VM on the same network? if it is the latter you might need to set the ethernet adapter to bridged
>>
>>59370861
The domain controller is on Server 2012 on the VM. Server 2012 is on n the VM with the domain controller and active directory.

I want to add my physical Win 10 pc as a computer on the server so I can then connect to a virtual desktop through remote connection on the server.
>>
>>59370904
then host-only should be fine (the VM just won't have internet access)

do ipconfig on both the Win10 PC and the VM. make sure they both have a network adapter connected to the host network with an IP address on the same subnet. if not, check and make sure the network adapter is enabled in the VMware settings.

>I am also not sure what to use as the DNS ip address.

since that VM is going to be the domain controller, make itself the first DNS server and make your host PC the second one. those are the only computers it will be able to connect to anyways.
>>
>>59370989
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll give a go tomorrow, to late now i'm tired.
>>
>>59370989
I don't think this is right...
>>
>>59371171
what part? the host only connection is setup as an additional network connection on the host. you should see both the host and the guest on a separate network.

or do you mean the DNS settings? that is how you would typically setup a domain controller. you don't need the host to be the second DNS server though - you could just manually add an A record to the DNS on the server once you set it up as a DC.
>>
In my opinion, the notion that the primary domain controller can be virtualized on a domain member is incorrect. This is going to lead to a chicken/egg problem; when the host tries to log on, it will be searching for the domain controller, which may not be yet running.

This will either lead to a cached domain profile loading, or an unable to contact authentication server error, neither of which is desirable.

While the above error is recoverable, and OP is asking basic DNS questions; it is very likely he's about to lock himself out of his Win10 instance.

If it were me, I would make the host 2012R2/2016, make sure to have 2 NICs, assign one the Hyper-V passthrough, and run Win10 virtually.

Server DNS should be 127.0.0.1; forward lookup 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Client DNS = One or Both Server IPs; use DHCP for wireless clients, wired ones can be static outside DHCP range. Disable DHCP on router, use Windows Server DHCP service so that DNS auto updates. On my domain, AD runs 24/7 on a dedicated mITX DC, and I have no auth or DNS issues since doing this.
>>
>>59371354
>This will either lead to a cached domain profile loading, or an unable to contact authentication server error, neither of which is desirable.

you can still log onto the PC locally.
>>
>>59371354
OP here.

This is just for testing purposes, to be honest I don't know much about how this all works. At the moment I am just messing around to learn.

The VM will be running when conecting remotley to a virtual desktop. Basicly I am trying to set the server up so that it can be used as it would in a small office environment. At the moment I am just trying to add my physical PC to the server and set it up as if I was in an office connecting to the server with a remote desktop and use a virtual desktop.
>>
>>59371429
I've seen this fail before

>>59371429
I would install Server 2012R2/2016 as your host OS on your PC. Hopefully you have more than 1 PC. You are going in the right direction with Windows Server and Group Policy, good job OP.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.