[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: UbuntuImage.png (33KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
UbuntuImage.png
33KB, 1191x842px
OK what is so bad about Ubuntu in my case its an OS with the most support and one of the most stable
>>
>>59368193
I think /g/ doesn't like it because it used to collect data for Amazon (it doesn't anymore), and a lot of people just don't personally like how it looks.
>>
>>59368215
i mean ok you dont like how it looks but you can change it
>>
File: 1488145573267.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488145573267.gif
32KB, 250x250px
I dislike Unity but I love the compatibility and huge user-base
>>
>>59368268
I prefer tiny users to huge users
>>
>the distro that killed linux
>>
4chan is populated by contrarians. Of course they hate Ubuntu, its designed around being for regular people. Doesn't Ubuntu mean "humanness" or something in some African language?
>>
>>59368287
You don't like it THICC?
>>
>>59368193
Most stable? the software center has been broken for 5+ years. I tried it a few months ago and software center crashed while updating software so i had to restart it and it completely broke ubuntu. Couldn't boot into ubuntu anymore. Only ubuntu has this issue.
>>
>>59368319
>Only Ubuntu has this problem with the Ubuntu software center
well duh
>>
>>59368319
who the fuck uses the software center
>>
I thought they would make linux great again
>>
File: screenfetch.png (46KB, 581x271px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch.png
46KB, 581x271px
>>
>>59368319
>thinking the issue you have is the same for everyone

I've never had this problem with it.
>>
>>59368379
same
>>
File: screenfetch 12991.png (7KB, 685x330px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch 12991.png
7KB, 685x330px
I like it. It works pretty well.
>>
File: screenfetch.png (57KB, 618x289px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch.png
57KB, 618x289px
oops no GPU heres the new one
>>
>>59368549

You
>>
>>59368193
I concider myself a linux poweruser, but the hate against ubuntu is unjustified. It is possibly the best gateway to get a larger userbase and attention to linux, and functions as a very easy introduction to the technology. Its growing support for windows applications helps ease transitioning from other OS, aswell as helping distros and the entire community to grow. What I don't like about it personally is that it feels bloated and too commercial with the amazon-integration situation a while ago. The control over the OS feels restricted, and the user freedom is what I enjoy the most about Linux. Weighing the good and the bad tho, it's fantastic.
>>
>>59368193
I hate it because more and more softwares are only packaged as .deb because of it.
>>
File: neofetch.png (57KB, 735x487px) Image search: [Google]
neofetch.png
57KB, 735x487px
>>59368193
i started with ubuntu and i do really like it. I recently switched to debian, though. no particular reason, i just prefer the fact it's a bit less bloated and more of a challenge to install.

ubuntu is a great distro but i'd recommend debian for once you get kind of bored of it, I've found it runs better.

also, use neofetch everyone, it has a nicer ubuntu ascii than screenfetch.
>>
>>59368825

The Amazon thing is a shame, and it's a ghost that will haunt the distro for a while. However, as a recent W7 migrant to Ubuntu [permanent, that is, I first installed it back in the 2000s as well as Fedora] I can say it's the best desktop experience I've had. And as well as that, one can always move away from Unity to another version.
>>
I think anyone with a brain realises that Ubuntu is great. The dissent here is just idiotic. My brother is a long-term Slackware user and he thought it was very cool that I moved to Ubuntu.
>>
>>59368193
Daily reminder that Ubuntu+Gnome is the superior operating system choice for people who care somewhat about their privacy, are enthusiastic about GNU/Linux and have work to do.
>>
>>59368193
>what is so bad about Ubuntu i

Nothing. /g/ is just a bunch of retarded cretins
>>
>>59369101

I was going to move to GNOME but may move to Budgie instead when it comes out next month. I still feels a bit like GNOME but with a kind of Cinnamon xfce mix.
>>
File: 1481909267847.jpg (282KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481909267847.jpg
282KB, 1000x1000px
>>59368193
It just has the reputation of being babby's first Linux. The reality is pic related.
>>
>>59369136
why is the debian logo backwards
>>
>>59369205

it's a bass clef
>>
>>59368193
Pasting from an Ubuntu hate thread from before:

>install a "supported" theme
>now every time I have 2+ windows of the same app open and one of them is minimized, clicking the app icon glitches the screen completely. This is now permanent because changing to the default theme doesn't fix this

>setting a custom "non-supported" resolution shits up on reboot, giving an error message forcing you to manually change it again on each reboot because X doesn't properly save the setting

>doesn't have a tweak tool installed by default

I use Ubuntu, but I'll just say that even windows 7 doesn't have this problem. Can't wait for wayland maybe this will be fixed.
>>
>>59369261
yes but it's the other way around in the default wallpaper and the screenfetch ascii.
>>
File: fuckthecia.png (767KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
fuckthecia.png
767KB, 700x700px
>>59368193
You have to understand the difference between computer hobbyists and professionals who have/want to use linux.
The former will bitch about Ubuntu because it's popular and doesn't require the work that makes a hobby satisfying, much like a car enthusiast will always pick a manual vs. automatic.
The latter really don't care about the OS itself and just want to get shit done quickly and effortlessly. That's where the big community and larger software availability comes in handy.

And in this last case, you'll see many people choosing to go the Apple way (most popular OS for devs according to stackoverflow) while many others staying on Ubuntu to enjoy some more freedom to change stuff.

Just don't bother with people and try it for yourself, jeez
>>
File: RedHatLinux9.png (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
RedHatLinux9.png
171KB, 800x600px
>>59369136
This is actually fairly accurate. My first Linux was Redhat9 and then when they dropped Redhat in favor of RHEL I switched to Fedora. Then I switched to a ricing Gentoo phase for a few years. Then switched over to Arch for a few years. Then, since I dont have time to tinker with frequent updates with rolling release, I switched to Ubuntu LTS.
Would love to switch to Fedora if there was a Fedora LTS. Since Fedora supports two versions, the current and previous, concurrently, I was thinking of maybe trying to switch to Fedora's previous release. like for example as soon as Fedora 26 is released I'd install Fedora 25, and as soon as Fedora 27 is released I install Fedora 26, and so on. How stable is the previous version of Fedora?
>>
>>59369546
The thumbnail looks like weird al instead of Terry
>>
>>59368193
Nothing is wrong, just use Xubuntu and other variants if you hate Unity.
Software companies who need to use Linux for development usually use Ubuntu LTS for getting things done.
>>
desu after initial setup I don't see much difference between distros. Maybe bleeding edge vs stable in terms of packages.
>>
>>59369586
Fedora gets support for 13 months
>>
>>59368193
I like Ubuntu. Unity is pretty sweet, I don't need to heavily rice it, just install a theme and a notification indicator and I'm set. Unfortunately, Ubuntu just comes with a lot of bloat and is quite resource heavy.

For comparison, my post-setup Ubuntu uses 7GBs of RAM with all my usual windows open vs Fedora using half of that post-setup with my usual windows open. Fedora also runs GNOME which is widely claimed to be the heaviest DE and yet, Unity still manages to be even heavier than it.
>>
>>59370470
Thats not what Im asking about, I know that Fedora supports the current release. And also they support the previous release, until the next release is out.
>>
>>59369586
>How stable is the previous version of Fedora?
As in Fedora 24? Pretty stable, I guess. No random crashes or anything. I did do a kernel upgrade once, only to have my keyboard not work anymore. Rebooting and using the older kernel fixed that and another update was pushed out eventually that didn't have that problem.

I'm using Fedora 25 right now and they're about the same in terms of stability. You might just have to switch to GNOME on Xorg to get pass some of Wayland's early quirks (window isolation hiccups and no Redshift). Wayland is still perfectly usable though, and GNOME runs amazingly well under it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.