[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ReactOS - open source clone Windows / 4chan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 21

File: ReactOS-Desktop-0.4.4.png (23KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ReactOS-Desktop-0.4.4.png
23KB, 800x600px
ReactOS is an open source clone of Windows 2003 / XP, in future clone of Windows 7.

Microsoft has gone mad and does all the crap with Windows, add spyware NSA in Windows, made touch interfaces for PCs, idiotic forced updates and other garbage. Who knows what it will add in the future?

ReactOS project leaders felt that in order to make a stable version compatible with 2003 / XP, about 1 million euros is needed for the salaries of system programmers. After the stability will be possible to make compatibility with Windows 7 drivers and applications (work in this direction they have already begun). They have a ReactOS foundation in Germany - http://ev.reactos.org/index_en.htm .

I already wrote letters to various companies, in Valve (many letters), Mozilla (grants for developers), Munich authorities (city in Germany, transferring computers from Linux to windows again) with a request to look carefully at ReactOS, as an alternative to Windows in the future. Nobody except Mozilla responded, Mozilla said that the alternative to Windows is Linux, but Linux is not compatible with some hardware, applications and user experience.

I know that 4chan is power, let's try to help ReactOS somehow. Can we create petitions? Maybe write letters to some other companies?
>>
>>59364279
>let's try to help ReactOS somehow. Can we create petitions? Maybe write letters to some other companies?
Has it even occured to you that you could help them very easily by contributing to the product?

ReactOS is a hobby project at best with little to no real world applications.

Kill yourself
>>
>>59364279
Until Russia decides to actually put some funding into this, React will not get off the ground.
>>
File: luna.png (58KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
luna.png
58KB, 1024x768px
Dota 2 dx9 on ReactOS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeCenkvF4lk

Half Life 2 on ReactOS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGwKKV1l4Vk

Tests windows apps - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMo8NP-2oP35rauon-Duc9Q/videos
>>
>>59364308
I help with testing, unfortunately I'm not a system programmer, that I can't help in the development.

>>59364316
Unfortunately, the russian government refused to finance.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (227KB, 703x608px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
227KB, 703x608px
I wrote emails to Valve, about running Dota 2 and HL2 on ReactOS, that it would be a cool operating system for Steam Machines and other emails. But he did not receive a reply.
>>
>>59364316
Too bad they have already invested on Astra Linux instead
>>
>>59364341
>>59364372
That sucks. Getting a Windows clone would've probably helped them out a lot more, and would've helped the community in general a lot more.

What the fuck is Astra anyways?
>>
>>59364279
Lets meme this distro to popularity
>>
>>59364279
I'll make the logo.
>>
>>59364279
>add spyware NSA in Windows
You are absolutele gigamoron if you think fucking XP and earlier aren't riddled with it. There are hardwarre backdroors as early as 95
>>
File: astra.png (714KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
astra.png
714KB, 1366x768px
>>59364384
this is straight from wikipedia
>Astra Linux is a Russian Linux-based computer operating system developed to meet the needs of Russian army, other armed forces and intelligence agencies. It provides data protection up to the level of "top secret" in Russian classified information grade. It has been officially certified by Russian Defense Ministry, Federal Service for Technical and Export Control[1] and Federal Security Service.[2]
>>
File: firefox.png (584KB, 1204x800px) Image search: [Google]
firefox.png
584KB, 1204x800px
>>
>>59364367
Maybe they weren't sure what to say for legal or business reasons.
>>
File: filezilla.png (51KB, 812x671px) Image search: [Google]
filezilla.png
51KB, 812x671px
>>
>>59364367
>not directly writing to gaben
SteamOS/Linux will be the better alternative anyway
>>
I think it's a great effort, but seriously, I don't see the appeal besides running legacy drivers and applications.
>>
>>59364448

He's 14. He clearly doesn't fucking understand.
>>
>>59364463
ReactOS is primarily designed for windows applications. Gabe can promote it as a replacement for windows 7/8.1/10
>>
File: 7zip_0.png (29KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
7zip_0.png
29KB, 800x600px
>>59364415
Yes, you probably are right, but in ReactOS they will not be like open source.

>>59364448
ReactOS does not violate anyone's, the principle of open development is used. One person studies how it works in Windows, and then writes the documentation. Another person writes code according to the documentation.
>>
>>59364464
For Russia and other non-US aligned countries, that's the point, they want to be able to have a decently supported OS that'll their old software on their old computers without having US backdoors or other unprotected exploits.

Although apparently Russia isn't interested.
>>
>>59364494
>that'll their old
that'll run their old, polite sage
>>
MS patents would be problematic in JewSA.
>>
>>59364487
Why would he promote alpha software that can't even handle gpu drivers for gaming, when linux+wine exist?
>>
What's the point of recreating Windows XP or 7 when those can be downloaded for free anyways running all the required applications from the get go? It's a waste of effort, they should probably focus on making a good alternative to Photoshop or something. Plenty of venues to actually get people to use Linux for a change.
>>
>>59364463
To use SteamOS or Linux based OS, you need to have skills, so already now SteamOS have already forgotten everything, almost no one of the new developers does the game (Vulkan) and the applications for SteamOS. ReactOS is just like Windows and will support all the drivers, applications and games from Windows.
>>
>>59364279
>but Linux is not compatible with some hardware, applications and user experience.

lmao
>>
most of the serious companies support linux
it is your fault buying shitty hardware just because they are popular or cheap
>>
>>59364531
You need to have skills to use all linux based system. ReactOS very simple os.
>>
>>59364321
lmfao
>>
>>59364541
>ReactOS is just like Windows and will support all the drivers, applications and games from Windows
It will never have 100% compatibility, and theres wine for old windows shit.
>you need to have skills
So you've never used a linux distro before
>so already now SteamOS have already forgotten everything, almost no one of the new developers does the game
Yeah no, that's just bullshit. Just admit that you're under 18 years old
>>
>>59364427
so the kgb can backdoor me instead of the CIA? Actually, that's probably not that bad.
>>
>>59364533
Windows XP is no longer supported, on Windows 7 it will soon cease to be supported. This means that anyone can put any virus or trojan into your system.

As far as ReactOS open source, it can be supported as many as you like. Can also add any modern features.
>>
>>59364651
>This means that anyone can put any virus or trojan into your system.

They can't if the user ses Common Sense antivirus.
>>
>>59364321
omg, why would you test games on a VM? Even playing games on a Windows VM is suffering (well, or at least it was)

Testing games should be done on a real machine where you can get realistic results.
>>
>>59364489
i think it's always been a legal gray area. the only reason they're ignored is because no one uses it. reverse engineering in itself isn't illegal, but let's say you reverse engineer a process or module that contains a patent, then you could be sued for patent violation. it would be easy to prove since the charter of the project is to "be win32 compatible".
>>
>>59364367
Windows will not stop supporting the biggest platform for digital games on PC you fucking delusional faggot.

Worst case scenario Steam is added to the Windows Store, period.
>>
File: йоба в пледе.png (187KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
йоба в пледе.png
187KB, 409x409px
>>59364639
100% compatibility can be done if there is money for development.

On Linux 1% of PC users are sitting, this means that there is something wrong in it, it is difficult for most users. I've used Debian and Ubuntu with XFCE, these are good operating systems.

I'm more than 14 and 18 years old, just my English is not my native language, I came to you from the Russian board 2ch, translate with google translate, sorry.
>>
>>59364683
Antiviruses stop supporting unsupported wasps and also if the vulnerability is deep in the system, then the antivirus will not help.
>>
>>59364321
Great. so it runs much worse than the already existing and quite properly running alternative WINE. why would anyone bother then? ReactOS seems to be windows without any of the benefits of windows.
>>
>>59364703
In many countries, research and development is permitted, for example, in Russia. In Russia have not registered this patent. In other European countries like too it is possible.
>>
>>59364728
Sorry, but we will never have 100% compatibility. Some programs rely on obscure workarounds which wont work in reactos
Linux is stable and usable, and supports most hardware without problems. We just need to make a really user friendly distribution.
>>
>>59364691
FPS is not so important, it's important that it runs and works, compatibility check. Testing the speed of work will be at the very end of development.
>>
>>59364751
ReactOS will be fully compatible, this is the main goal. 100% compatible with drivers and applications. This can be done, since everything is being developed completely. Service support and stuff.
>>
>>59364788
I still think that if you are serious, why not get a real machine with ReactOS that you have just for that.

You should get better compatibility as well, a VM isn't 100% faithful, ever.
>>
>>59364771

>>59364823
>>
Post i link i want to donate to this fucking reactOS
>>
>>59364823
lol even people at microsoft don't know how most of their shit works, you expect some small team of random people to be able to write a clone of the mess that is windows?
>>
>>59364541
Besides skill you also need hardware support for example my graphics card has no support
>>
>>59364321
>>59364835
This videos are much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPVtDaSVhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQx_u_rWzCc
>>
>>59364888
http://www.reactos.org/donating
>>
File: Screenshot_20170312-160145~2.png (68KB, 1408x424px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170312-160145~2.png
68KB, 1408x424px
I hate Microsoft but i love Windows, this could be a major project.
Donate 5 bucks and don't be a fag!
>>
>>59365085

ReactOS dev spotted.
>>
ETA on stability?
>>
>>59365085
I don't even know how to code, Windows is the only OS that i use and i kind of hate the botnet, UI inconsistency, 2 control panels, 7 different contextual menus, forced telemetry, THE BOTNET
I want a free Windows without Microsoft
>>
>>59365106
Wrong quote
>>59365218
>>
Does it have PowerShell? If so sold, if not it is an inefficient system. Navgating through the GUI on Windows is inefficient, thus, I do not do it.
>>
>>59364448
>Maybe they weren't sure what to say for legal or business reasons.

Most likely legal reasons.

If ReactOS actually starts taking revenues away from Microsoft, they will assemble a huge team of the most aggressive asshole lawyers money can buy, go out there and find out who is in control of ReactOS and who is funding it, and then sue the motherfucking shit out of all of them. The longer they can drag out the process, the better. It makes no difference whether Microsoft has a valid case against ReactOS -- the lawyers will pretend to be deliberately obtuse about ReactOS's legal rights and focus all their energies on irrelevant legal arguments. Microsoft will use the whole thing as an opportunity to spread every conceivable kind of innuendo against ReactOS, enough so that a judge is forced to pay attention to the innuendo even if there's no substance behind any of it.
>>
>>59365255
Powershell, you mean CIAs #1 hacking tool?
Gee, great. Thanks Vistaids.
>>
>>59364489
>ReactOS does not violate anyone's,

You better believe that ReactOS violates Microsoft's rights. Microsoft paid a huge amount of money in legal fees to file all kinds of patents on various ideas used in Windows. It will be trivial to find lots of cases where ReactOS violates those patents, and Microsoft will fight hard against ReactOS if it ever gets popular enough to start impacting Microsoft's revenue stream.
>>
>>59365117
~2052
>>
>>59364889
That's because they hired a trillion pajeets that did a summer course in programming that taught them how to post on Stackoverflow.

This is the reason Windows 10 is filled with a quadrillion different inconsistent UI styles and facets.
They've literally built Windows 10 on top of Windows 8.1 on top of 8 on 7 on Vista.
It's a hack of an OS that gets more hacky with each update.
At least XP and previous were CHANGED each version. They kept some sense of continuity. Well, if you ignore the new XP theme which was shit, but everything else was consistent in UI.

Nobody actually changes shit because they literally don't have a fucking clue how any of it works.
DLLs that have been untouched since the days of Jesus Christ.
The most significant changes in that codebase were, obviously Vista (it started it), and 7. It stopped at 7 and from then on it has been hacks on hacks on hacks.
Windows 8 onwards is a conflict of 2 Operating Systems, 1 of which has no actual developers for, the other having shit-tier poo-in-the-loos developing.
>>
>>59364494
>Although apparently Russia isn't interested.
Why they must be interested?
It's cheaper to make Microsoft to include backdoors for KGB.
>>
>>59364728
>2ch.hk
fix
>>
>>59364279
Tы yжe зaeбaл блядь.
>>
>>59365375
The NT kernel has actually had alot of under the hood work done to it since Windows 7 its alot more slim and trim (can fit in 128mb of ram) and has been "modernized" to handle things like thunderbolt and the such.
The UI still is a hacked together mess which is almost a blessing since you can still used the normal control panel among other things
>>
>>59364279
>but Linux is not compatible with some hardware

That's a rather funny argument, almost everything works just fine with GNU/Linux. The exceptions are rare.

ReactOS finally managed to get printing working over parallel ports. This "news" gave me one big question-mark. Why would they prioritize this instead of general USB support?

Yes, yes, ReactOS is a great idea, sure, but it's been in development for years and years and it still lacks the most basic hardware-support. It doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I don't use Windows or Windows software personally and this probably affects my judgement, but here it is: Support WINE if Windows software is important to you. If you want to run some piece of Windows software and not use Windows right now then you'll probably be able to do that with WINE under GNU/Linux but you're not going to be able to do it with ReactOS any time soon.

I know, it's not what you want to hear but it's the simple truth.

>>59364367
>I wrote emails to Valve, about running Dota 2 and HL2 on ReactOS
Value already settled on GNU/Linux for their SteamOS.

>>59364531
Exactly.

>>59364771
>We just need to make a really user friendly distribution.
This wouldn't matter, not unless you by this mean "included when you buy it". This may appear strange to /g/ but something like 80% of all Android users never install a single app on their phones. I am not sure what the number is for Windows but I expect it's quite similar. The vast majority will simply use the OS and software that comes pre-installed.
>>
>>59364494
>For Russia and other non-US aligned countries, that's the point, they want to be able to have a decently supported OS that'll their old software on their old computers without having US backdoors or other unprotected exploits.
Microsoft provides the source code for the russian government since 90s, for reading and checking if the build is reproducible.
>>
>>59364279
So if it can run windows programs, can it also run windows malware? And if yes, why would anyone think this is a good idea?
>>
>>59364321
>OS Paged Poo

optimal operating system for indians confirmed
>>
>>59364321
>It runs in a VM

Dropped.
>>
>>59364279
How come Microsoft don't sue the shit out of this?
>>
>>59364415
If the NSA had built-in access to any Windows system, they wouldn't need any exploits and other other complicated shit.
>>
File: 5LL2K8fYbvE.jpg (18KB, 287x325px) Image search: [Google]
5LL2K8fYbvE.jpg
18KB, 287x325px
>>59364440
>garbge
What an appropriate name for normie pop shit
>>
>>59365719
Same reason they can't sue wine, it's kind-of hard to sue someone for making an open source implementation of something.
It's like Intel trying to sue because you replaced there bios and firmware with coreboot
>>
File: x2.jpg (3KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
x2.jpg
3KB, 100x100px
I hope reactos will be successful, but I expect that by the time it works well enough to be useful for its intended purpose, technology will have moved so far forward that nobody would really be using windows 2003/xp software anymore
>>
>>59365837
They only have to get to NT 6.x since that encompasses vista to Windows 10
>>
>>59365343
In Russia and european countries US patents do not apply.
>>
>>59365437
лoл, вдpyг тyт ктo-тo знaeт кyдa мoжнo eщe oтпpaвить пapy пиceм
>>
>>59365293
its not like reactos is going places now either way, it literally had like 10 years without any progress whatsoever. Project is doomed either way.
>>
>tfw Initial release 1998; 19 years ago
>>
>>59365343
thats why FBI did raids in Poland on Kickass servers, and CIA had secret/torture houses all over European countries with knowledge of these countries goverments? IF microsoft sue reactos, you can bet your ass they will get shut-downed/extradited to USA.
>>
>>59364367
>emailing a gigantic corporation
When will you consumerists realise that they do not care about you
>>
>>59364308
>Kill yourself
this.
just waste time and resources.
also
> giving money and trusting Russian bydlo developers
>>
>>59365646
just look at reactos UI, its dated as fuck, it has crappy hardware support only. Its Hobby project for some neat autist, that has hardon for old hardware and shit
>>
>>59364279
>Can we create petitions?
How about actually helping code you pile of shit
>>
>>59364279

Why copy a shitty design in the first place? Duplicated shit is still shit.
>>
>>59366740
>How about actually helping code you pile of shit
actually nobody needs OS which is mimicking already existed OS, just Russians try to scam some idiots. grab money and run.
>>
>>59366687
A very complex project and there is no money to hire a developers, then what has been done to date without money is a huge job! Only 1 million euros is needed to finish it to a stable state. Let's think about who can be interested in this project for investment?
>>
>>59366766
>that grammar
Shut up prajeet. Since Micro$oft made Windows a pile of shit, someone has to pick up their slack.
>>
File: Ватник 2.png (127KB, 475x604px) Image search: [Google]
Ватник 2.png
127KB, 475x604px
>>59366715
They do not extradite you from Russia, you are welcome!
>>
>>59366723
Developers around the world, not only from Russia, in Russia there are many testers.
>>
>>59366736
The user interface can be changed, and the appearance is changed by themes.
>>
Reactos literally builds on wine, so there's really no point now. Maybe in 5 years (since win10 is the last windows OS).
>>
ETA on it being stable as of now? 10 years?
>>
>>59366759
user experience
>>
ReactOS literally has no use
>>
>>59364279
>about 1 million euros is needed for the salaries
so, you need 1 million euro to code operating system which is already done about 16 years ago.
are you high or something?
>>
File: vlad.png (218KB, 563x445px) Image search: [Google]
vlad.png
218KB, 563x445px
>>59366772
>>
>>59366766
Not so, the project is international, there are Russian there too, are not more of them than the rest of the developers. Many Russian testers. The project manager is also Russian.
>>
>>59366879
With 1 million euros can be completed in 1-2 years, if you hire developers for a salary.
>>
>>59366886
Finish the code and make it stable.
>>
>>59366887
He is not interested, he it is more important to steal money from the citizens of his country.
>>
>>59364321
thats a very old dota 2 client from 2014 or something. it dosent work anymore playing on it.
>>
>>59366990
According to reality, Czar Putin I actually praised the operating system as a way out of dependence on western proprietary software.
>>
>>59364279
I can single handedly make windows OS in less than 6 months. They are asking for $1 million.That is scam
>>
>valve, mozilla, munich
>implying anyone can make a move against microsoft
>>
>>59367020
yes, dx9 version
>>
>>59367028
You can write a simple os from scratch, with your own functionality, but to make it compatible with Linux it takes a lot of time, and to make compatibility with closed Windows, you need many times more. One you will not write anything other than simple os.
>>
>>59367028
How much would you charge? Make a kickstarter, faggot
>>
>using literally wine with a shitty and broken kernel with no support
ReactOS is a dead end, Linux works on everything nowadays and is way more stable, plus it has better compatibility with Windows software as it receives Wine updates, while ReactOS lacks a proper update platform AFAIK.

ffs even FreeBSD or OpenBSD with Wine works better than this shit.
>>
>>59367187
Kickstarter already tried, but the project manager made the wrong move and instead of collecting on ReactOS wanted to assemble to a commercial distribution for companies and eventually failed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thorium/thorium-core-cloud-desktop

I think if they made the fees purely on ReactOS, then 100% would be collected.
>>
>>59365255
Not yet but it can be implemented easly because powershell is open source
>>
>>59364308
Oh shut up
>>59364279
No, they need money and programmers. Not silly petitions
>>
>>59368273
Perhaps a petition to the governments of countries will force the government of any country to fund the project and in the future to save a lot of money on operating systems for the state and education.
>>
>>59364279
That's silly in my opinion. It would be much better to contribute to Wine which is already pretty usable and Linux overall. I mean, if you want to use Windows software on an open-source and customizable OS, isn't Wine on Linux what you're looking for?
>>
>>59364639
No, you're just stupid
>>59368473
What a retarded idea
>>
>>59364533
Fucking this
>>59364651
>This means that anyone can put any virus or trojan into your system
Nice bait, as anyone can do that with ANY operating system
>>59364771
>We just need to make a really user friendly distribution
No we don't, what we need is either compatible software on Linux or a near equal counterpart on it.
>>
>>59368921
Personally, I want to see open source Windows, which will support any Windows drivers (2003 / XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10), any applications and any games. Any technology, Vulkan, any file systems. This is possible only in open source Windows.

Microsoft closes system support and forcibly forces to switch to shit, makes new DirectX standards (which is worse, for example, fps in DX12 is worse than DX11 fps), new driver standards, old hardware stops working and so on.

She make touch interface for pc, added NSA spyware and stuff like shit.

Windows XP is not supported, although for personal computers without games it is ideal! Any modern features can be added to it. Windows 7 will soon stop supporting.

>>59369082
Do you have any better ideas? Offer.
>>
>>59369192
>Nice bait, as anyone can do that with ANY operating system
Yes, but the developers will fix the problems and send updates. On Windows XP, no one will ever send anything. Soon they will stop sending to Windows 7. Only WIndows 10 NSA Edition will remain. Then we are forced to switch to Windows 11 Cloud for slaves.
>>
>>59369226
Get a nonworking software studio to work on it.
>>
>>59364533
Running old software in modern windows machine is pretty d
Difficult. And xp and win7 lose support for modern software and updates too.
>>
File: Лягушка.jpg (40KB, 604x587px) Image search: [Google]
Лягушка.jpg
40KB, 604x587px
If you have the opportunity please write letters to your state institutions, tell them that by investing in ReactOS they will save considerable money on Windows licenses in the future.

Maybe some investment funds, business angels or other rich people, please tell them, send an email.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Together we will give Microsoft a monopoly! Thank you.
>>
>>59370275
*kick ass microsoft minopoly
>>
>>59370275
Ha, the last thing the republican party would do is spend money, even if it's to save money down the road.
>>
What ReactOS really needs is more of a "if everyone donates $50 dollar" campaigns.
>>
>>59364308
POOJEET IS MAD

Why does ReactOS piss you off sahib?
>>
File: CT_HkvexWPeLGBXsbjSWCw.jpg (53KB, 395x600px) Image search: [Google]
CT_HkvexWPeLGBXsbjSWCw.jpg
53KB, 395x600px
>>59364641
If you're worth it they might send a friend over and you can tell her all the secrets you don't put on your computer too!
>>
I can't stop thinking about reactOS, I WANT WINDOWS OPEN SOURCE NOW!!
>>
>>59364691
VM is better for testing, since you can easily switch OS's (even different versions of same OS) without any fears of cross-contamination, and make frequent restore points of the system state. Their purpose isn't to use it as a replacement for gaming on native Windows, they're testing whether ReactOS implements enough of the Windows subsystem for the games to run.
>>
File: 1477850437472.png (60KB, 482x101px) Image search: [Google]
1477850437472.png
60KB, 482x101px
If you only think that this project is worth a chance, support It
Donate 1, or 5$ through PayPal, it's basically nothing for you, but it's important for the development of this gem

Make Windows Great Again
>>
>>59371126
oh ill give her my secretes
>>
>>59371057
Fuck off.
>>
>>59365684
>can it also run windows malware?
Theoretically.

>And if yes, why would anyone think this is a good idea?
Because Windows can also be targeted by Windows malware, but ReactOS has the advantages of being open-source.
>>
>>59365814
The 3.1 API at least is an ECMA standard, so the specification of the functionality is in the public domain. Only the actual Microsoft code is proprietary.
>>
>>59366946
>1 million euros
How much is that it bitcoin?
>>
>>59367028
Prove it, then. I don't think you could even get as far as Windows 3.1 functionality in 6 months, never mind the complexity of modern Windows.
>>
>>59364279
>running Windows XP again
I'm unironically up for that desu
Next I just need WebOS and then I'll be golden
>>
>>59364279
>Mozilla said that the alternative to Windows is Linux, but Linux is not compatible with some hardware
So instead of developing drivers, the alternative is to reverse-engineer Windows and create a clone? Gee, I sure do wonder which of these 2 is a completely retarded idea.
>applications
Again, so instead of putting money into Wine (which already works very well) or pressuring companies like Adobe to port their shit, we're developing an entire operating system that has to work with closed-source APIs.
>and user experience.
Explain. My UX under Fedora is better than mine on macOS, and simply outs Windows to shame.
>>
>>59364279
>Talented Programmers and shit
>Trying to push a product
>Hey Ubuntu make money from similar|
>Has a shell from fucking 1678

>Pretentious, wont touch
>>
>>59364279
Why should I support this and not WINE, which already has mainstream support and a great amount of compatibility with Windows applications?
>>
>>59364279
>but Linux is not compatible with some hardware, applications and user experience.
And ReactOS is? Are you fucking delusional?
>>
I thought reverse engineering was illegal in the U.S.? See console hacking
>>
>>59372066
Who are you quoting?

>>59372799
So why isn't 4chan outlawed yet?
>>
>>59366721
>gigantic corporation
>valve
>>
>>59372799
This has nothing to do with US.
>>
>>59372110
Because native > wrapper.
>>
>>59373133
Why?
>>
>>59373470
You get at least 15% better performance. It's literally better to run software in a Windows VM on Linux rather than WINE, if you've configured pass-through. Multiple tests and benchmarks confirm this.
>>
Is this only available in English? I can't find any information of other languages.
>>
File: 1450286485174.jpg (861KB, 1305x935px) Image search: [Google]
1450286485174.jpg
861KB, 1305x935px
Hey you, yes you ReactOS shill which is on the foundation payroll

Tell your goddamn bosses to begin implementing useful stuff instead of devoting massive amount of man-hours on parallel port printing, retard
>>
>>59373870
Define useful
>>
>>59365646
>ReactOS finally managed to get printing working over parallel ports. This "news" gave me one big question-mark. Why would they prioritize this instead of general USB support?

Because it's trivial to get parallel ports working. USB is a vastly more complicated protocol.

They're working on easy things they can do first, and saving the hard stuff for later.
>>
>>59365117
reactos is probably older than some of the people in this thread (began 21 years ago)
don't expect to be able to replace windows any time soon with it
>>
File: ap_resize[1].png (51KB, 728x400px) Image search: [Google]
ap_resize[1].png
51KB, 728x400px
>>59364279
Fuchsia is the future
>>
>>59374968
this
I want to like reactos I really do but it's a joke, it's the windows equivalent of hurd
>>
>>59375026
it's a joke only if you look at it as a general windows replacement
as a repository of publicly available source code and documentation regarding windows internals, it's the best thing out there
>>
>>59375065
did you really just say that?
>it's only a joke if you look at it as what it's meant to be
I mean I get that it's the source of wine, and it's done some useful things but it's possible to be useful and still be a joke if you can't meet your stated purpose
>>
>>59364589
so there are two paths here:
1. Complete ReactOS development

2. Fix Linux so it is user friendly.

Which do you choose?

Protip 2 is already done, steamos is very easy if you don't want to get in the nitty gritty. And if you do, it's far less quirky than windows. The rest will come in time.
>>
>>59364589
>i'm not familiar with linux, i'm familiar with windows
>>
>>59364440
>not JAMC
>>
>>59375629
>2. Fix Linux so it is user friendly.
It's impossible because everything is developed as a separate part

>literally a collection of third party software non of which fits together nicely
>>
>>59375694
windows is where its at

easy as pie and it works
>>
>>59376115
i find linux easier to work with
>>
If it gained traction it would be crushed by MS parents....

Just another hobbyist project desu, if you think otherwise you're either too young or stupid
>>
>>59376757
Patents *
>>
All the effort in computer science is welcome. Ignore the shitposts that have taken over this place in the last few years.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-13_00-18-38.png (338KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-13_00-18-38.png
338KB, 1600x900px
does it get viruses too?

I prefer Linux with a classic theme. Add wine and you've got more hardware support and functionality than ReactOS could ever dream of
>>
Probably as good a thread as any other to ask this, but is there a distro that, for lack of a better word, emulates 3.1? I miss that style.
>>
>>59373599
ReactOS supports a bunch of languages, information have on wikis in different languages, the official site in English.
>>
>>59373870
While the developers do what they want, because there is no money, everyone does what can, then what is interesting, since there is no money.
>>
>>59376887
It will be possible to make a built-in sandbox, which will still be compatible, but will isolate all malicious programs. As already does the "sandboxie" application.
>>
>>59372799
If your intellect is this awful, I suggest you quit browsing /g/
>>
Ionescu > *
>>
>>59364279

>ITT:
> Install Rossia on your PC
> gibs monies to Stronk Rossia

Thanks for the laff, Ivan. Go to bed now. You're drunk.

All that was needed was to make a WinXP Classic skin for linux and dump a little dev help into WINE to improve it. But, vodka nigger logic: let's try a project that takes 20 times the effort and monies to achieve less than half as much performance and functionality while riddling it with bugs, malware and Rossia botnet.

What's the endgame here? Get trump to use it as voting software in elections around the world?
>>
>>59381699
>less than half as much performance
Read >>59373542
>>
>>59364279
Foreign governments might take an interest. Russia uses an Arch fork for its military but im sure they would rather run this.
>>
I am admin in local hospital, that use ancient windows xp software.
the amount of costly gov infrastrucutre that uses win 7/xp is astonishing. And often rewrite is costly and without a reason
>>
>>59367076
If you can't defeat it, then make a clone of it.
>>
>unironically WINE the operating system

Pass
>>
>>59364279
>I know that 4chan is power,
kek
>>
>>59378846
>implying /g/ is intelligent in any way shape or form
>>
Why is this thread still alive? OP clearly broke rule no. 2.
>>
>>59372066
What do you mean?
>>
>>59364279
so will it support adobe photoshop, premiere pro, fl studio (or ableton) and games all pirated?
>>
>>59385700
yes, all windows program, drivers, games. At first XP/2003, in future add drivers, program and games - Windows 7
>>
File: hexadecimal.png (10KB, 700x118px) Image search: [Google]
hexadecimal.png
10KB, 700x118px
>>59378846
>/g/
>intelligent
>>
>>59385700
adobe photoshop it's working, fl studio i did not try
>>
>>59385700
pirated or non pirated choose user, fully working all version
>>
>>59385952
Tell me when it's ready. Now I have regular Windows 7.
>>
>>59364321
So fucking slow, but I'm actually impressed it ran at all.
>>
>>59385985
If you get a million euros, then in 1-2 years you can make a stable OS and compatibility with 2003 / XP, and then for another year compatibility with Windows 7.

But we need to find this money, I do not know where else i can write.

>>59385990
working in virtual machine, on real hadware faster
>>
File: 1488983644850.jpg (617KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488983644850.jpg
617KB, 1920x1200px
Aesthetic as Fuck, famalampai
>>
>>59375629
>2. Fix Linux so it is user friendly.
I would, but you would need to murder most of the Linux community before they listened to an outside opinion.
>>
>>59386095
in 2019 windows 7 will stop supporting and you will go to Windows 10 or any schoolboy will hack your pc.
>>
https://reactos.org/donating
>>
>>59364279
does it have DX12?
>>
>>59383764
WINE is better at Windowsing than Windows itself is though.
>>
>>59373870
They need to fix the memory manager, first.
>>
>>59387204
If wine does not have it then Reactos does not have it
>>
>>59387204
Why? Nobody uses DX12. Having DX11 compatibility is more important.
>>
>>59364427
>Astra Linux
Is this like Red Star OS?
>>
>>59376757
They already tried and didn't work.
Thread posts: 203
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.