[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accuracy of VirusTotal's Scans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: virustotallogo.png (18KB, 535x535px) Image search: [Google]
virustotallogo.png
18KB, 535x535px
So /g/, I have been downloading a bunch of useful programs for my semi-new craptop. After downloading all the install wizards I went and scanned them with VirusTotal's browser based virus detection software. Anyways, many of the programs were flagged for one bit of malware (only one was flagged for 2, and none for any more than that). Do any of you have experience with VirusTotal? Is this any reason for concern?
>>
>>59361284
Use a modicum of caution with any file. Experienced malware writers run their stuff against VirusTotal to make sure it's not detected. Eventually, heuristics will catch up, but it may be too late.
>>
>>59361284
Here is a list of the programs that were flagged, what service they were flagged by, and what they were flagged for.
1. Wireless Network Watcher - Anty-AVL [Trojan/Generic.ASMalwNS.27ED]
2. Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 - Rising [Malware.Undefined!8.C (cloud:sPQ6mHcHPTB)]
3. Opera - Qihoo-360 [HEUR/QVM11.1.0000.Malware.Gen]
4. Skype - Palo Alto Networks (Known Signatures) [generic.ml]
5. PC Decrapifier - Endgame [malicious (moderate confidence)]
6. Secunia PSI - Zillya [Adware.BrowseFoxCRTD.Win32.7364]
7. Speccy - ESET-NOD32 [https://d1k4dgg08m176h.cloudfront.net/]
8. Paint.net - Jiangmin [TrojanDownloader.Generic.avcx]
9. CCleaner - ESET-NOD32 [Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe], Palo Alto Networks (Known Signatures) [generic.ml]
10. Kodi 17.1 - Bkav [HW32.Packed.B3AC], Rising [Malware.Heuristic!ET#80% (cloud:ANuxo6WU2OP)]
Note: Everything in this list was copied directly from the VirusTotal website.

Are these safe downloads, or should I be worried? I downloaded all the programs from their parent sites, or from whatever sites the their parent sites recommended if the parent sites didn't have a download option. If neither of those were available I downloaded from download.cnet.com.
I appreciate any help I can get, especially because this craptop provides my only Internet access at the moment.
>>
>>59361503
All the programs I downloaded were recommended by website articles and seemed very legitimate from what little research I did on them.
This list includes all the programs that were flagged by VirusTotal. >>59361830
>>
>>59361830
Most of the programs in the list you posted have been used by me for years.
No need to worry, you have seen it with your eyes being recommended, and they are used by lots of people.
As long as you are not downloading "TeenSexVideo.exe" and you do not click on weird site that tell you how to get sex you are fine.
>>
>>59361907
Hah, thanks, I have always avoided that kind of stuff. I just wanted to be safe and make sure I was in the clear.
One other thing, right after downloading all those programs, my computer slowed down significantly. Not just Internet speed, but overall processing.
>>
>>59362069
Most probably some of the programs are running in the background at startup. If you have Windows 8 or newer you can disable their startup in task manager.
>>
>>59362184
No, I don't think that's it, I only downloaded the program wizards, I haven't actually installed any of the programs yet. Any other plausible possibilities?
>>
>>59361830
don't you see it in results, they all have some kind of malicious things bundled in installer, toolbars and shit
>>
>>59362256
Are you on Windows 8 or newer?
Maybe Windows Defender is fucking around about those executables, check your task manager
In addition to >>59362463, I'd suggest you stay away from such programs that somehow have to bundle in a bunch of baiting partner shit, they're basically adware - you sure you want that?
>download.cnet.com
pure cancer
Sure, some of these programs triggered some spergy antiviruses just by being an executable installer, but if you're curious enough, you could try scanning portable versions of, say, Speccy.
And where did you get that Skype installer from? Their latest web installer from official site is all clean on virustotal
>>
>>59362526
I'm on windows 10. Also, I downloaded Skype from the official page.
>>
>>59362463
I haven't installed any of them yet.
>>
As with all anti-virus it will detect old shit, not new.

VirusTotal is literally what script kiddies use to test their malware before selling it on their epik HackForums
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.