[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we PLEASE put an end to this? Which is superior, Mac or PC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

File: apple-logo-rob-janoff-01.jpg (31KB, 1000x1049px) Image search: [Google]
apple-logo-rob-janoff-01.jpg
31KB, 1000x1049px
Can we PLEASE put an end to this?

Which is superior, Mac or PC?
>>
GNU/Linux
>>
obviously Mac. Fuck WalmartOS and the fat fucks from /v/ who try to defend it

\ in filesystem paths
spaces in filesystem paths
filesystem isn't case sensitive
no ssh client

complete garbage
>>
File: 1486921971510.jpg (84KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1486921971510.jpg
84KB, 1024x768px
>>59359903
Mac. No question about it.
>>
>>59359903
Its not the operating system, its the human controlling it that makes the difference.
>>
OP here. Honestly I have a very expensive battlestation and a brand new Thinkpad and a nexus 6p but sometimes I want to go back to using nothing but apple because shit is simple and I feel like I've wasted an insane amount of money on "EPIC GAYMER PC MASTERRACE" bullshit

FUCK someone help me I can't shake this autism

it shouldn't be such a big deal for me to pick a fucking tech ecosystem

I should just get a mac and an iphone and get on in life and finish college and be a normie

and workout and be fit again and etc.

someone please fucking help me decide

I'm serious this is a big deal to me for some stupid fucking reason
>>
>>59359962
lol what are you twelve

you have to be eighteen to view this website
>>
>>59359932
Holy shit is that real?
>>
>>59359988
pick success, not video games. just get a Mac and get fit and slay thots.

best of luck.
>>
ITT: Americucks their mommy bought a mac and now have cognitive dissonance about their shitty OS and machine.
>>
>>59360016
Thanks brother. I feel like I've wasted half of my fucking life on gaymes.

I tried playing Far Cry blood dragon earlier and couldn't be bothered to keep playing it

Maybe I've finally matured
>>
>>59359932
This is accurate.

They're neglecting the biggest thing though, which is that Windows requires "Enterprise Security" which means paying a bunch of engineers to lock down all of your corporate workstations to the point that they can no longer really even be called computer, as pretty much everything has to be disabled except Office and browsing (through a tightly controlled, expensive Bluecoat proxy)

Windows is expensive as fuck to run in a business.
>>
> sell good hardware that should retail $400
> for $800
: the company
>>
>>59359998
Would you mind elaborating on what was wrong with my claim instead of throwing ad hominem in my face?
>>
File: 1481828958087.jpg (2MB, 1800x4500px) Image search: [Google]
1481828958087.jpg
2MB, 1800x4500px
>>59359903
>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have <70% aRGB
>gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?
>>
>>59360052
OK here goes, there's this entire field that studies theoretical and actual computer architectures, and no, they're not all equal or dependent on the user. Architecture is fucking important, and Windows architecture is lacking -- there's no way to effectively use the computer to compute things.

but aside from that, no, Windows is not as useful in tech as Linux or MacOS. The only Dev shops that run Windows are tied to the government, and have to meet specific 'security requirements' that are mostly nonsense.
>>
>>59360104
Lol, what an autist.
>>
>>59360112
no. I'm an actual Silicon Valley guy. I spend all day with this shit. Nobody here uses Windows. If you show up somewhere with a GAYYYMER PRO X WINDOWS 10 MACHINE you'll be mocked, you won't get a job, and you'll have to leave. No $200k salary, no equity, no hot asian girlfriend.

Windows is a bad choice.
>>
>>59360095
kek that image
>>
>>59360133
>t. Rajeesh
>>
>>59360095
why do you keep spammign the same image in every thread? are you that butthurt? kek
>>
File: 1475540842198.gif (2MB, 423x264px) Image search: [Google]
1475540842198.gif
2MB, 423x264px
>>59360171
Why do you spam 10+ threads a day justifying your fruity toddler toys, are you that anal destroyed?
>>
>>59360133
Bullshit.
>>
>>59360133
He speaks the truth. Just look at Google. They run nothing but Linux and Mac OS
>>
If you have 100,000 computers (or just a dozen like me), and you want to use one central computer to deploy an operating system and drivers, push all applications, configurations, anti-malware, updates, mapped drives, etc to all of them... can you do this with anything but Windows Server paired with Windows Enterprise client? Maybe.

Since Microsoft holds the essential patents around this process, I don't think it would be anywhere near as functional with Mac or Linux.

This above process works best with Intel/NVidia hardware, thus solving both debates, imho.
>>
>>59360206
lol

yes, that's called configuration management

ever heard of Saltstack / Puppet / Ansible / Chef?

Scaling servers works *way* better with Unix than with Windows.

also lol at thinking that Microsoft has a patent on config management (which is essentially running arbitrary code on x number of computers that you own) -- you're under a rock.
>>
>>59360206
windows admins are fucking retarded holy shit, I'm screen capping this post for future memes
>>
>>59360231
I have heard of configuration management, yes.

How does the OS/Driver deployment PXE piece work?
>>
>>59360242
Kek yes please screen cap that shit

I can't believe I just fucking read that holy shit
>>
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2010/05/31/google-to-employees-mac-or-linux-but-no-more-windows/
>>
>>59360253
you realize you're talking about a TFTP server, right? it's super easy to set one up. Point the clients to that, PXE boot.

dude this isn't even remotely advanced or proprietary or specific to Windows at all
>>
Be specific about the driver download component, to support thousands of client hardware models
>>
>>59359921
Fucking this. Apple may be expensive but fuck is it good
>>
>>59360302
do you really think that Macbooks need driver updates?

you know that there's pretty much *no* drivers that need to be installed in Linux, right?

you know that "installing drivers, anti-malware, anti-virus" and all that bullshit is only necessary in Windows, right anon? The entire OS is seriously just a huge waste of time that keeps dumb people employed
>>
>>59360302
dude all the drivers are in kernel space

you don't need to install drivers in Linux (other than occasionally a driver for a proprietary wifi card or GPU)

lol
>>
>>59360396
I'm not talking about driver updates. Every OS needs the correct device drivers installed to correctly utilize the underlying hardware. I have a few friends who have proudly announced that after an entire weekend's worth of work, they finally got their sound card working in Linux distro XYZ.

If Windows is so bad, why do the overwhelming majority of corporations use it on all client devices? Why has AMD faded out in favour of Intel and NVidia in these corporations? Drivers. Mass deployment scenarios and drivers.
>>
>>59360463
dude you are so fucked by using Windows

you don't install any drivers on your mass deployment of MacBooks, ever

nor do you have to do it on your mass deployment of Linux servers

I have a 20k+ sized fleet running Kubernetes and we haven't had to install a single driver

your problems are stupid and entirely Windows specific

even if I had to install Nvidia drivers or AMD drivers on 20,0000+ boxes tomorrow that would literally take me all of five minutes

BECAUSE THERE'S AN ACTUAL PACKAGE MANAGER IN UNIX
>>
OP here with a serious question. I'm interested in trying Macs again but I'm worried about the direction Apple is taking. Do you think they'll try to kill Mac OS and Macs in favor of iOS?
>>
>>59360463
your problem is that your a PC technician, or equivalent. your day to day life, in fact your entire life, is dependent on using (some) technical skill to fix Microsoft's bad ideas.

You're so indoctrinated that you refuse to believe that all of what you do is pointless. The problems that you "solve" simply don't even exist on other operating systems
>>
>>59360577
They won't kill it, but they're ignoring the platform entirely. Buy a 2015 Macbook and get comfortable with using it as a development box. It's worth it just for the Unix compatibility
>>
>>59360589
Architect. Problems of scale, virtualization, compatibility and security exist on all platforms.

You guys seem pretty upset about this, hurling insults at me and such. I have a different opinion than yours, but mean you no disrespect. Wanna have a calm discussion?
>>
Since this is a matter of taste, there's no right answer to that question. Period.
>>
>>59360656
architect of a dozen windows servers and a handful of windows workstations

your bullshit doesn't work on people who actually understand tech, anon
>>
I've installed Linux on some of my devices, and been unable to solve device driver issues. On Windows, I've always been able to make it work. It is quite possible I just don't get Linux.

How do you deploy an OS using PXE with all correct drivers to any client device device using Linux? (not talking about servers)

My Windows mass deployment solutions remain in use at many large corporations.

And dude, you aren't going to win anyone over, including me, by hurling insults like an SJW.
>>
File: 1462019578473.png (23KB, 543x350px) Image search: [Google]
1462019578473.png
23KB, 543x350px
>>59359932
>bullshit stats published at less than 6 months of use

Clearly some fuck getting paid in Apple stock and trying desperately to not get fired for wasting the IT budget.
>>
File: 1479141473256.png (29KB, 545x323px) Image search: [Google]
1479141473256.png
29KB, 545x323px
>>59360758
>>
File: 1475492674399.jpg (77KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475492674399.jpg
77KB, 850x400px
>>59359903
>>
>>59360727
Buy your employees MacBooks (great idea) and never have to deal with any of that -- if any of them want desktop Linux, buy them a Linux compatible workstation or laptop? These are easy problems to solve, anon.

You do realize that SCCM is a gigantic waste of money, right? You can do all of that for free with Saltstack / Puppet / Chef / Ansible...

Traditional Windows admins are so focused on fixing problems that are unique to Windows that they don't realize that they're becoming a gigantic, bottomless pit of wasted money and time

I hope you enjoy spending tens of thousands of dollars on software that the business neither wants, needs, nor even understands, just because your life depends on having a garbage operating system to fix

(seriously, take some Linux courses, Windows admin is a dead end career path)
>>
>>59360812
>(seriously, take some Linux courses
Agreed.

>SCCM is a gigantic waste of money
>a Linux compatible workstation or laptop
What about mass client deployment to all the other devices? Possible?
>>
>>59360758
did you even read your own graph? Apple beats Dell, Lenovo, and HP... and lol if you think hardware failure is the major cost in IT. It's not even close.

The huge cost is employing stupid useless computer janitors to fix stupid Windows problems.
>>
>>59359903
>Which is superior, Mac or PC?

What is Mac? A mainframe?
>>
>>59360854
Yes, totally possible with config management, and quite easy. What you're talking about is called 'bootstrapping', which requires a PXE server, a TFTP server to host the images, and a config management tool to config them to whatever requirements you have

There's also cool tools like Terraform that abstract the bootstrapping process entirely, allowing you to create versionable architecture across VMWare, Hyper-V, Bare Metal, and cloud environments

Windows hurts your career in the long run because you get pigeonholed into using Windows specific shit like SCCM that's utterly useless outside of a narrow Windows context (that's dying)
>>
>>59360890
>99% of business work workstations
>dying

Freetardism, not even once.
>>
File: cat_god_wills_it.jpg (119KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
cat_god_wills_it.jpg
119KB, 500x600px
>>59359903

It's the same fucking hardware. A Mac IS a fucking PC. The only difference is one tries to assrape you with shit OS. The other is Mac OSX.

AS/400 or gtfo
>>
>>59360890
>What you're talking about is called 'bootstrapping'
I've been doing this long enough to know what bootstrapping is man. Can ya stop talking down to me?

>tools like Terraform
will look into this

>a TFTP server to host the images
pre-drivers

>a config management tool to config them
post-drivers

How do I put the right drivers on the TFTP/PXE server if they don't exist or...I can't find them?
>>
>>59360898
lol. see the writing on the wall

the future is containerized services in the cloud (not maintained by you) being accessed by chromebooks / Macbooks / tablets

Windows is fucking dead, anon.
>>
>>59360923
No, you're a Windows admin. You're always going to get talked down to by Linux admins. Either become one of us or get used to it scrub

- you don't need to install drivers on Linux servers
- you don't need to install drivers on Macbooks
- if for some reason you did, you'd install that in the image itself if it was required to boot the machine, or through config management if it was required for usability

if you're wasting your time with drivers at all, it's because you've fucked up somewhere -- Linux is a monolithic kernel, and all drivers are contained in the kernel -- if for some reason you need a driver that isn't contained in the kernel (this is pretty much impossible for servers, and for workstations only happens with Wifi / Video), you fucked up by not buying compatible hardware in the first place
>>
File: 1487316817931.jpg (25KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1487316817931.jpg
25KB, 536x536px
>>59360918
>one tries to assrape you with shit OS.
>The other is Mac OSX.
>>
>>59360923
also re: PXE booting stuff. That's not really common anymore. Everything is either a VM or a docker / rkt container or running on AWS / Google Compute Engine

If you need to stand up a bunch of VM hosts or CoreOS bare metal, you'd do it through terraform or similar
>>
>>59360960
>No, you're a Windows admin. You're always going to get talked down to by Linux admins. Either become one of us or get used to it scrub
Ah, you're a Linux admin. I get it now.

>you fucked up by not buying compatible hardware in the first place
>only happens with Wifi / Video
And many other devices, including audio and mass storage controllers

>re: PXE booting stuff. That's not really common anymore
this mechanism for imaging client hardware is very much still in use in the majority of large corporations
>>
Apple has a fancy gayish appearance for a starbucks. Linux PC has an efficiency and flexibility in software as well as in hardware for a techie.
>>
>>59361025
That's because large corporations are afraid of change and wait till the last minute to do fucking anything.

A lot of the banks here only recently (I'm talking about 2 years ago) upgraded to Windows 7 from XP.
>>
These threads are fucking gay.

Literally the same canned arguments since 1996 from a bunch of faggot undergrads who rarely venture outside their browsers trying to talk themselves up and counteract their low self esteem that prohibits them from feeling superior to others in normal, productive ways.

There's a reason many of the most influential figures in computing don't really seem to have a particular preference in OS and can be found using everything; when you learn how computers actually work and what they accomplish, you realize that every OS is the same for a typical use case, and it's just a matter of what you personally, subjectively and often irrationally prefer.
>>
>>59360960
Vidya and GPUs do require drivers, as well as the CPUs so one could use a socket with new processor lines/families
>>
>>59361062
That depends on the userland, Windows has more legacy use and proprietary APIs is what Windows is the best for.
>>
>>59361042
Agreed.

Will look into Terraform, and attempt to image a client device. What I expect to find is that this company has not solved the 'drivers do not exist for this device' problem. If they or someone else has, great.
>>
>>59361091
"I need to image this client device through a proven mechanism" says the man who keeps buying random hardware en-masse

seriously 99% of Windows admins could just be replaced by buying all the staff Macbook Airs
>>
>>59359998
>If you have 100,000 computers (or just a dozen like me), and you want to use one central computer to deploy an operating system and drivers, push all applications, configurations, anti-malware, updates, mapped drives, etc to all of them... can you do this with anything but Windows Server paired with Windows Enterprise client? Maybe.
>Since Microsoft holds the essential patents around this process, I don't think it would be anywhere near as functional with Mac or Linux.
>This above process works best with Intel/NVidia hardware, thus solving both debates, imho.
whats so funny?
>>
>>59361089
Certainly, they still have their own advantages for all kinds of needs and use cases, but the angle I'm taking is in terms of what they can actually do. Compiler's the limit.
>>
File: 1473770389685.jpg (90KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473770389685.jpg
90KB, 850x400px
>>59359903
>>
>>59361126
The electric car is here, but mine still runs on gas. Maybe one day I'll buy one, but not today. Not until the prices are comparable, and not until I can fill up my tank in a couple minutes.

Maybe one day Linux/Mac will be ready to take over in the enterprise client scenario... but not today. Not until you can image and manage whatever management hands you.

I'm out, have a good night.
>>
>>59361126
>macshit

lmao
>>
>>59359903
Macs are objectively inferior hardware wise.
>overheating and throttling evertwhere
>""desktop"" models with laptop CPUs
>>
Macs are overpriced pieces of shit that is not worth of your purchase.

>Fucking expensive for sup-par hardware
>Shitty hardware not optimized for anything that's not Apple programs.
>Gaming doesn't work on it, including latest games. Unless if you have Wine or other shit.
>Overheats too much

And good things,
>Simple
>Retard-proof

Macs are for retards
>>
>>59360690
except it is
mac is simply better
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.