[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfag Computer Buying Guide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (953KB, 739x496px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
953KB, 739x496px
I feel like a lot of poor people and kids in developing countries are buying computers that are way too expensive for their budget, either as a means to escape the reality that they are poor or because they expect to not change their computer for the next 5+ years so they try and make it as powerful as their money (or their parents money) allows.

So I guess what I'm wondering is what is the best option for someone in their shoes? Limit yourself to budget and 2nd hand parts? Buy new but the best perf/dollar stuff? Shape your budget around exactly what you expect to play without thinking about not being able to run future games well? What would be some general good advice besides the obvious of get educated/better job/stop being poor?
>>
>>59347005
simply running linux will allow the computer to be realistically usable for 15+ years.
>>
>>59349047
but what if i want to be productive
>>
>>59349062
Then you leave your house and get a job. Simply owning tech doesn't create money.
>>
A used thinkpad is good.
If you want to be productive, macbooks are initially expensive to buy but cost less in the end because they last longer and better than other laptops
>>
>>59349062
productive in what?
we were discussing poor people, they are by definition not productive.
>>
>>59347005
>I feel like a lot of poor people and kids in developing countries are buying <commodity> that are way too expensive for their budget, as a means to escape the reality that they are poor
This observation is correct. Middle class does it too (usually with cars).
>>
>>59349047
>>59349062
hate linux all you want, but the reality is that a T400 with 4gb ddr3 can still run Ubuntu 16.04 well, even today

>>59349211
good observation

https://medium.com/incerto/only-the-rich-are-poisoned-the-preference-of-others-c35ddf65cf68
>>
used thinkpads might be good, yes. But I rather build a kabini or J4250 setup. Runs for under 30 watts, and you can even play light games on it.

A Pentium G4560 is equally a good choice. Just throw a 1050 in the mix and you're good
>>
>>59349293

I don't see how that blog post is related.
>>
>>59347005
All used laptop with 4gb of RAM is fine
Avoid Intel atoms or arm netbook
No chromebooks
When you saw a used laptop that you can buy look all deffects on forums and shit
Learn about linux
Use LibreOffice put a corrector
You can play games but like retro ones haha like gamboy advance and shit
When you get a job get a gayming turd if you want
>>
>>59349501
related only to the post I replied to

>This observation is correct. Middle class does it too (usually with cars).
>Middle class does it too (usually with cars).

When people move up from poverty or middle class to having more money, they are prone to making foolish decisions with their money. It is the difference between old money and nouveau rich - someone who comes from money has already seen through the bullshit as they are accustomed to it, someone who is new to money will fall for marketing traps like:

>Buy a Rolex! You're rich now!
>Buy a nice BMW! You earned it!
>Why are you living in a $300,000 home? Move up a bit!

etc
>>
>>59347005
You can get Sandy Bridge parts for less than 50USD. I'm pretty sure you can get a complete Sandy Bridge system for less than $150 on ebay. I seriously doubt you're going to get better bang for you buck.
>>
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS52E2258

Is this a good pc for running current games at 60fps?

Intel Core i7 7700 3.6GHz Quad Core
Intel H110 Chipset
8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5
1TB SATA3 Hard Drive
MS Windows 10 Home
>>
>>59349062
You will be more productive with Linux than with WangBlows botnet my man
>>
>>59350182
bad bait is bad
>>
>>59350253
Not bait, i'm just a loser who doesn't know anything about PCs
>>
>>59350286
That graphics card won't be able to pull off a smooth 60 in new games on high settings and it'll be a struggle on medium, the CPU is overkill and also might be subject to overheating issues down the track as it only has a stock intel cooler.

Also, H110 motherboards usually only have a single system fan header on them so you might not be able to use all of the case fans that come included with the Spec-03 unless they included a power supply adapter (in which case you can't control fan speed).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABFS4F33834

This one is around the same price point and has a much more capable graphics card, the CPU has a slightly lower base clock and boost speed (and doesn't have hyperthreading), however it will also run quite a bit cooler as a result, this computer still has a H110 board though which is serviceable but basically bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>59349560
> I seriously doubt you're going to get better bang for you buck.
Better performance/price can be sometimes achieved with used servers/workstations around xeons (nehalem and up), Yes, there are some bad things like proprietary power connectors or other not-so-normal stuff, but it mostly fine, and have (some) upgradability (adding discrete gpu/replacing quadro/firepro, or even upgrading xeon down the line if needed).
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.