[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/technology/ approved game engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (431KB, 854x510px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
431KB, 854x510px
What is the most technologically advanced game engine in the world?
>>
>>59345719
You will never know because most of them are closed source or written in sepples which makes it unreadable.
>>
>>59345719
Unreal engine 4, darkplaces, idtech 1 and 2
>>
The fuck is a "game engine" anyway? What does it even do? Sounds like cross platform I/O and graphics.
>>
>>59346020
Probably the most advanced pieces of software in the world really. They start from the ground up, deal with graphics, sound and interactivity and create a full experience.

They are also extremely multiplatform since they are "ground up" technologies.

In general, an advanced game engine, is really the marvel of modern software.
>>
File: carmack_jury.jpg (91KB, 767x591px) Image search: [Google]
carmack_jury.jpg
91KB, 767x591px
John Carmack thread?
>>
>>59346030
carmack haters are technology illiterates that should go back to /b/ and /pol/
>>
>>59346039
>defending a thief as proven in a court of law
>>
idTech 6 or Anvil

idTech 6 looks better but we've only seen it in a game with relatively small scenes while GR Widllands is 32km x 32km and mostly procedurally generated so it has a pretty good excuse for looking worse.
>>
>>59346063
> politics, law and bullshit
> not /b/ and /pol bullshit
you have to go back
>>
>>59346020

A game engine doesn't have to be cross platform to be a game engine. It just refers to the software portion of a game. It's what the hardware / operating system uses to process and allow the player to interact with all the assets (graphics, levels, enemies, sound, etc) that make up the game.

Game engines can vary a lot in how open and portable they are. They can have almost everything hard-coded in, so that you can hardly customize anything when creating content to be used on them. Or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, they can be like Unity. There you're basically putting together little pieces of an engine however you want, and then outputting an executable for your platform of choice.
>>
File: 1464031259375.jpg (236KB, 1280x653px) Image search: [Google]
1464031259375.jpg
236KB, 1280x653px
>>59345719

Either Red Engine 3 or Lumberyard(soon to be Star Engine).
>>
UE4. It's the only engine worth mentioning.
>>
>>59346039
oh no fagot, ive been hearing him since the z buffer time, that motherfucker is a god in coding and in thec terms... but that automatically makes him a good person, hes a nigger fagot jew and hes being jewing and niggering everything around him since 95
>>
>>59345719
In what regard?

>>59346025
Now back to reality where browsers are more "ground up" aka bloated and ressource management and gameplay binding of most engines is a clusterfuck.

>>59347091
So Red Engine 3 it is.
Lumberyard is a botnetted CryTech and the only good thing about that - similar to Frozenbyte - is the rendering.

Red Engine on the other hand strikes me as a unbugged, high quality version of the Creation Engine.

>>59346020
A bullshit term coined for a framework that ideally leaves you with loading your ressources and creating the source code for the gameplay.

>>59346112
Going for graphics alone isn't the best measure, however.
>>
>>59349007
>> trapezoid rendering
>> 5% of income when cryengine is free
>>
>>59345719
Unity
>>
Whatever they use in assassins creed games is pretty good. They can make proper outdoors, proper indoors, crowded cities and so on while still not being able to run in mid tier hardware adequately
>>
File: 1470646414406.jpg (385KB, 799x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470646414406.jpg
385KB, 799x1200px
>>59346030
>john carmack
literally who?
>>
>>59349241
> cryengine is free
It's only free when your time is free. Not that I disagree that UE isn't the universal solution.

>>59349281
literally the wordpress of game engines, except it might lose it's market share, once Godot, the other wordpress of game engines catches up without effort.
>>
>>59349241

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/John-Carmacks-Replacement-id-Tiago-Sousa-Crytek
Crytek lost their best to idsoftware. I think they have been screwed for a while now.
>>
>>59349682
>I think they have been screwed for a while now.
This, they repeatedly didn't pay their devs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.