[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The decline of GPL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

>This graph shows how license usage has changed from 2010 to 2017. In reading it, it is clear that usage of the GPL 2.0 license, one of the purest copyleft licenses around, has more than halved in usage. According to the chart it would appear that the popularity of open source licensing has subsequently shifted to the MIT and Apache licenses. There has also been a small increase in GPL 3.0 usage.

https://opensource.com/article/17/2/decline-gpl

Where is your God now, GPL cuck?
>>
>>59335206
>anybody gives a fuck
dev just copy paste licence from first *nix header he finds via google
big companies doesnt give a fuck
small companies copy paste entire projects

2 people are just arguing about muh freedom when the only important thing is if the code works reasonably fast and does the right thing
>>
>>59335479
>big companies doesnt give a fuck
They absolutely do, a lot of companies have been sued for violating the GPL, and a lot of them have lost
>>59335206
CIA niggers and enterprise kikes have been pushing cuckold licensing
>>
GPLv3 killed the GPL. Copyleft only works when there's one particular copyleft license for every other license to be compatible with. This was the state of affairs for a long time with the GPLv2.1.

After Linux rejected moving to GPL3 (even though many of v3's changes were specifically to address Linux use cases), we ended up with 2 mutually-incompatible GPLs vying with each other. It just became easier to use a non-copyleft license than to worry about having this v2.1 code here and this v3 code there and not being able to mix the two.
>>
>>59335878
Dual license. Problem solved.
>>
>>59335878
Why not just put a license.txt file that says "DISREGARD THAT EVERYTHING IN HERE IS ACTUALLY GLP V. WHOCARES"?
Crown me the goddamn king of freedumbs, I'm so goddamn smart!
>>
>>59335627
They could avoid the lawsuit if they have a fucking helpdesk with a functioning brain to answer source code requests. For webapps GPL means nothing though.
>>
>>59336419
Too much photoshop
>>
>>59335206
Good, it's made by people who think that this kind of problem can be solved by lawyers and that caters lawyers.
>>
>>59336419
>helpdesk with a functioning brain
Do you have any idea what you're asking?
>>
>>59337699
Elaborate kid.
>>
The statistic is most likely made out of github sample.

As you probably noticed, it coincides with the rise of Javascript as #1 programming language. Nodejs has traditional MIT license culture, just as unix utilities had generally GPL culture.

Culture, as in, the dev is likely to license the same as the operating environment.

The conclusion is that there is demise of focus towards traditional unix, in favor of javashit webcrap.
>>
The MIT license is true freedom.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.