[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your reasons for Linux? Just asking out of curiosity.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

What are your reasons for Linux?
Just asking out of curiosity.

For me, personally, it's mostly these 2:
>it's free
>it runs better on weaker hardware
>>
i like the looks i get
>>
Because unlike Windows it isn't complete dog shit
>>
>>59329795
literally hipster tier
>>
I like knowing that if I wanted to leave my computer on for the next 5 years it would be able to do so as long as it didn't lose power.

Windows is lucky to stay on for a month before needing to be reset.
>>
>>59329810
dont hate
>>
>>59329765
GNU/Linux legitimately just werkz better than Windows ever did for me
I can think of several times where something at the system level has fucked up on Windows, whereas the only even moderately inconvenient thing I had on GNU/Linux is when infinality broke
>>
-free
-updates don't break my system and I don't have to wait 20 minutes to shut down my laptop before leaving work like with windows
-use linux servers at work, so I like to have a similar environment on my laptop
>>
I have a lot of fun tinkering. Its definitely a hobbiest thing for me but I just enjoy using it, customizing it, etc.

I'm not too obsessed with why its better or worse than alternatives, I just use it when I have some free time and want to have a custom setup.
>>
>>59329765
>For me, personally, it's mostly these 2:
>i'm poor
>i'm poor

Fixed that for you
>>
File: 1479072417181.jpg (48KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479072417181.jpg
48KB, 720x720px
>>59329765
I just got sick of putting up with Windows' shit.

Linux makes me put up with less shit than Windows does.
>>
File: 87_does-penis-size-matter_flash.jpg (46KB, 410x230px) Image search: [Google]
87_does-penis-size-matter_flash.jpg
46KB, 410x230px
>>59329810
listen here faggot when i pull out the x200 running that gentoo bitches be checking mah D out real hard
>>
LiveUSBs are generally cool and sometimes a handy troubleshooting tool.
>>
software freedom
this is the absolute most important thing. If Windows was free and GNU/Linux proprietary but their functionality stayed the same, I would use Windows. If GNU/Linux was proprietary and only openBSD was free, I would probably try to do most of my computing on that.
>>
>>59329800
This is also why.

It takes some time to learn to use well, but is immeasurably superior in every way for someone that understands computers.
>>
>>59329765
initial it was because my dad was a unix sysadmin and i wanted to learn what he did. now it is because i am at uni and do not play games
>>
>>59329765
Contrary to popular belief, the Linux kernel from kernel.org is not free software. It not only recommends non-free software but also actually contains it (i.e., software that does not respect your essential freedoms).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob
>>
>>59329765
two reasons you mentioned plus I enjoy making vidya work and tinkering with them more than actually playing nowdays
>>
>>59329765
>linux
>free
pick one
>>
>>59330112
I've never had to pay for Linux, therefore I choose both
>>
>>59329765
If butt ugly bitches like in OP pic use Linux then I'm staying the hell away from it.

Jesus she's busted.
>>
>>59330153
Are you alright anon?
You seem a little triggered...
>>
>>59330267
A little...it's like a gore picture on /b/...you can't unsee the nasty...
>>
>>59330360
You want to take that back? *stabs balls
*chokes neck
>>
>>59330360
Are you that triggered by women?
>>>/lbgt/
>>
because i can't use other shit than linux on the beaglebone black i'm using.
>>
>>59329765
Everything is scriptable.
>>
>>59329765
It's easier to script.
It's easier to style.
The C++ tools just work better and easier.
It has good tiling window managers that are easy to use.
It has QEMU/KVM.
When things go wrong there is always a comprehensible error message I can actually pursue and fix, something that isn't usually true on Windows.
>>
File: 1483089135652.jpg (75KB, 1080x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1483089135652.jpg
75KB, 1080x1144px
It's free and I'm kind of a cheapass.
To maintain experience across varied platforms and interfaces so I don't get buttmad when some OS puts its buttons in the "wrong" place.
>>
>>59329765
In the beginning it was curiosity and because I thought it was a better OS for technical reasons.
Back then I either dualbooted or switched back and forth.
What made me switch and stay was the license.
I like to use something I can agree with rather than just clicking "I agree" because that is how you get the box to go away.
It feels like it is my system and if something is not working, it is because I don't know how it should work.
>>
>>59330560
>so I don't get buttmad when some OS puts its buttons in the "wrong" place.
like when ubuntu switched windows button positions?
>>
>>59330404
That's no woman...
>>
Couldn't get drivers to work for Windows 10, so I just switched to Linux.
>>
File: yuri-igab-fansign-2.jpg (196KB, 880x946px) Image search: [Google]
yuri-igab-fansign-2.jpg
196KB, 880x946px
>>59329765
>What are your reasons for Linux?

Honestly:
- Because I know it.
- Because I'm used to it.
- Because it lets me get the things I need to do with my computer done.

I've used various GNU/Linux distributions since the late 1990s, not sure exactly when. I switched a while after Windows 95 became popular.

I don't know if it's better or worse than the alternatives, and quite frankly I don't care. I don't know them well enough and I don't really see any reason to learn how to use them.

>>59329966
>software freedom
This is why I originally switched to GNU/Linux, the free software philosophy. Today it doesn't bother me that much to pay for proprietary software if I actually need it for something and it's arguably better and more efficient for the task at hand than free alternatives.
>>
>>59330669
bull shit
>>
>>59329875
Greater design and engineering can do quite cheaply what lesser design and engineering cannot do at any price.
>>
File: 1466880331191.jpg (693KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466880331191.jpg
693KB, 1920x1080px
came for the compsci/hacker knowledge, stayed for the look and feel, and ease of use
the sheer comfort linux provides is still unmatched in household comp use
>>
If I fuck it up, I can usually fix it or get someone who can, last time I fucked Windows everyone's solution was literally to restore or reinstall my system. I also like having a package manager, even the worst one is a million times better than no package manager.
>>
>>59330153
>>The guy who got rejected by a black girl in middle school and has never forgotten it
>>
I wanna run Linux but I also want to play games.

I also don't want to do everything via command prompt so...
>>
>>59329907
thinking that this 8/10 qt is ugly is why you're a virgin, anon. that an your disgusting blob of a body.
>>
>>59329765
>it's free as in free beer
>it's free as in freedom
>KDE is sexier than the win10 metro garbage
>it's unix-like
>has a great community of hackers and overall smart people
>it's infinitely easier to develop on compared to windows (developing on windows is HELL)
>any ubuntu-based distro "just werks", same as a mac, only without costing thousands of dollars
>>
>>59333168
No, black skin is just disgusting
>>
>>59333182
How so?
>>
>>59333192
Think of it like why do you think some people are attractive and some people arent. After this, apply the same analogy to black skin.
>>
>>59333245
Ahh I gotcha. You are taking your personal preferences and treating them as a fact. Makes sense
>>
File: IMG_0537.jpg (36KB, 428x469px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0537.jpg
36KB, 428x469px
>>59333171
> KDE
> Sexy
Nigga wot?

> Unix-like
Anyone in 2017 who thinks being Unix like is something good doesn't truly understand modern computing.
>>
It runs orders of magnitude better on my old hardware.
Windows is frustrating to work with in comparison now that I know how to use linux.
I don't have a mac and I need to run software not available on windows.
I can rice it for fun when I have nothing better to do.
>>
>>59333329
Wut. I think you misunderstand. It's typically the stronger genes that are inherited, which is why interracial relationships are seen as positive.

It's funny you cite the jewish community as something to shoot for. You should look into the Ashkenazi Jewish community and their risk for the numerous birth defects that are often specific to them because of generations of inbreeding. I don't hate Jews, blacks, whites, but you seemed to be unironically alt-right.
>>
>>59333360
Sure thing, the genes that control the black skin overrides the white skin genes. What I was implying is that typically, the bbc loving degenerates tends to have inferior genes. These genes are going to pollute the already polluted black gene pool. Meanwhile the white gene pool will be cleansed from these. Its just the natural selection doing its job. Its a win/win.
>>
>>59329765
Doesn't come with preinstalled spyware.
The only reason I've ever used Linux.
>>
Who is that chicken vixen?
>>
>>59333444
It's actually more evolved to seek a partner that would produce genetic variation, so I'm not sure where you've developed this polluted gene pool idea from.

I hope you're trolling, but if not you may want to go out and meet a black, brown, yellow person. Your line of thinking is incredibly unhealthy and it sounds like you are basing quality of human based on skin color. I assure you there are much better people than yourself of every race
>>
>>59329765

It is pretty much better in every way than Windows, the only reason i still got a Win partition is because of MS Office, Visual Studio and Gay men
>>
File: 1487793429211.jpg (258KB, 857x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1487793429211.jpg
258KB, 857x1189px
>>59329875
>>i'm poor
You can use wangblows for free.

>>59329891
pic related
>>
- I don't get spied on [spoiler]as much[/spoiler]
- I can rice it exactly how I want
- The CLI is great
- installing programs is a breeze with package managers
>>
>>59333492
I live in an all white area, there is virtually no black person in the radius of 500km so I can't really carry out your proposed social experiment. Its just that I am basing my unhealthy thinking on the fact that there were no technological advancement in the african countries apart from the invention of fire until the british occupation.
>>
CS student, it's free, it's easier to fix than Windows, etc.

It just works.
>>
>>59333570
forgot:

- it's faster, no bloat apps running in background
- no forced automatic updates (yeah you can disable them via gpedit.msc in pro but still, why do they exist)
>>
>>59329765
Pretty much those two for me as well OP. I do have a Windows 7 machine but it pretty much only exists for games these days, everything else Linux does better for me. Also Windows 10 looks fucking horrible so I doubt I'll ever upgrade to it any time soon.
>>
>>59333612
I gotcha. That seems like a pretty big jump (from no notable advancements to inferior gene pool), but I see your line of thought.

I think you neglect to consider that all of the more developed areas, like Britain, benefitted from a more hospitable environment. It was easier to prosper because less time is spent just trying to survive.

Think about how dangerous African/South American jungles are, even today for us modern people. What is the biggest animal threat someone in the North would face on an island like GB. Skin color is really just a reflection of human evolution in that person's ancestor's environment. Black people evolved to produce more melanin to survive in the extremely sunny environment, while white people developed paler skin for their less sunny environment.
>>
>>59333724
Actually I think the hate, racism and intolerance is the main reason why Europe developed so rapidly in the first place. Constant fights and wars inside the community forced them to develop more advanced tools, mainly weapons. Think about the rockets, they were invented by nazi scientists just to win a war(they were forced to work for nasa later on). Think about the labor camps, the medical experiments carried out on jews developed the golden knowledge of modern healtcare. The difference between these cultures is the main reason white communities is far more advanced than black ones.
>>
>>59333724
cold winters where people could starve and/or freeze to death if they didn't plan for them months in advance surely had nothing to do with it
>>
>>59333850
I agree that some of that attributes to modern technology, but that you are overstating it's effects. We are talking about different time periods though.

You first mentioned British colonialism, which stemmed from the previous points I made. If a group of people are no longer fighting to survive, they can invest their time into research, which the British could afford to do, while American natives and Africans could not, due to a difference in the hospitableness of their environments.

I don't think attributing development to hate/racism is accurate either. Those are proven not to be genetic, nor were they even the cause of Nazis. That regime used them as tools to indoctrinate their citizens into buying into the leader's ideals, which is the root of all wars. Hate, doesn't spark innovation, but it does lead to belligerence
>>
>>59329765
No built-in spyware, better development environment, and it's just what I'm used to at this point.
>>
>>59333877
Yes, those are part of survival, I am not discounting that, but with the creation of fire, shelter and clothing, those problems disappear for the British, leaving them free to innovate.

Africans/South Americans with those creations hundreds of years ago, still don't begin to deal with the problems they would have experienced.
>>
>>59333962
I don't think leftist regimes are the most innocent ones, mainly because they have to murder millions of their citizens just to install their dictatorships. The constant wars among the whites created the never-ending survival fight until the invention of nukes. It has boosted the natural selections order by forcing to innovate, thinking of other ways to survive. But in the africa, you just have to develop simple weaponry to survive and I think its much easier to do than making rifles, tanks, submarines, radio transmitters, fighter jets and rockets.
>>
>>59334104
Not sure I relate to the leftist regimes thing, but I agree that no government is innocent.

I also agree with the constant war driving innovation, but I don't believe that relates to racism. I think racism plays a part in some wars, like the American revolution, but not racism driving innovation. I think there are too many jumps to say that.

I think war stems from a clash of ideals and greed/hubris from political leaders.

I wholeheartedly agree with the last point about spears being easier. That is not genetics though. None of our discussion, which I feel we largely agree with each other, is related to genetics, so I don't get the gene pool thing. I also concede that most of technology we have today is a product of "white" people, but has nothing to do with the white skin tone gene.
>>
>>59334247
I don't think we can reach to a conclusion because all you did through this discussion was denying things over and over again. I do think that its hard to shift your political view because you spent your years reading cnn nonsense but I recommend you to frequent /pol/ with open mind because its the main cause that shifted my view from left-leaning to right.

P.S natural selection leads to a more advanced gene pools, which leads to a more advanced community, which leads to a more advanced race
>>
>>59329907
i want to WHITE strong black qt women, especially ones with natty hair like op. i even like very dark black qts, but i prefer ones like pic related.

i also find black males to have nice ass, but anything else about them is meh, especially the face is very unimpressive.
>>
>>59334347
Lol I was conservative growing up in a Catholic family. I'm moderate, but lean left now. You keep making flawed assumptions.

I didn't deny anything. You just keep saying Nazi war crimes saved the world, with no reasoning. I have been to pol. It's an absolute cesspool full of scum who aren't well adjusted for normal life.

You don't even know what natural selection is. Human genocide and mating between races isn't natural selection. Humans don't even go through natural selection anymore. There is nothing "natural" about selecting a group of people with similar genes and murdering them.

You went into pol with an open mind, but forgot to fact check anything they said. Now you're no different than the brainwashed "lefties" you spout about, just on the other end of the spectrum, and I'm not talking autism bud.

Hopefully you grow out of it someday. Good luck

P.S. You are more genetically similar to a black man somewhere in the world than you are to your parents. That guy is 100% the same as you, but he has black skin.
>>
>browsing /g/ looking for interesting threads
>see linux thread which might interest me since I want to try it
>check out last few comments before opening thread
>its all about blacks and politics
>>
>>59334453
Welcome to 4chan. /Pol/is leaking
>>
>>59334449
Oh boy, the butthurt reached to my screen from the other part of the world. Survival of the fittest seems pretty natural to me but I do agree that it doesn't fit the narrative that dictates the isolated facts of the lefts' safe space. Also what is "fact checking"? Do you want me to compare my ideas to cnn guidelines? Get a load of this guy. I both read leftist posts and rightist posts to fact check them myself and I recommend you to do the same. I hope you open your eyes someday. Good luck.
>>
>>59334469
>>59334453
samefag
>>
File: Screenshot_20170310-101031.png (263KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170310-101031.png
263KB, 1440x2560px
>>59334554
You caught me
>>
>>59334541
>>Survival of the fittest involves not being murdered by a neo Nazi frog poster on an anime image board.
same
>>
>>59329901
*D:
>>
>>59329765
>Reasons to run linux
As someone who runs win7, winXP, Ubuntu, and Porteus (muh slackware), here's my reasoning:
1. Windows XP and Ubuntu's/Porteus's various flavors run much better on weaker hardware (ex. Lubuntu runs perfectly fine on an Inspiron from ~2003)
2. The compatibility of Ubuntu is unmatched amongst the various OSes I've tried. Basically everything on the hardware side just werks, unlike with Win7 and especially WinXP.
3. Free as in Beer for WinXP and Linux, free as in freedom for Linux.
As for using Debian/Slackware vs something else:
>Deb is convenient and compatible
>I put up with Slackware on Porteus
>>
File: IMG_3283.png (157KB, 426x583px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3283.png
157KB, 426x583px
>>59334580
Survival of the fittest involves being intelligent enough and inventing new weopenry to not being murdered in the middle of a war, yes.
>>
>>59334602
Hahahahaha no it doesn't. Not even a little bit. This is what I meant by fact checking. I assure you if humans were still going through natural selection that your dumbass would be one of the first to go.
>>
>>59334632
>Implying his hipster gay ass wouldn't be murdered by an animal the second we drop him to an island
>Implying he practiced any kind of weapon making throughout his sad life
Heh.
>>
>>59334668
I honestly think woodworking is just about as useful as weaponsmithing, especially in a solo-survival-with-basic-shit scenario.

That being said, I need to learn how to do woodworking.
>inb4 gb2/diy/
>>
>>59334822
Or you can grow up, get a real job and be a productive member of society like your ancestors you adore so much.
>>
>>59334865
>implying I don't work
I manage a 6-truck, 9-mower mowing company. I do nothing but sit back, supervise and fix the mowers when they're busted. I still want to try my hand at woodworking.
>>
>>59334865
Its someone else, faggot. Also
>Disclosing your personal info on a japanese furry fetish website
>>
File: IMG_3562.jpg (276KB, 1242x1582px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3562.jpg
276KB, 1242x1582px
>>59335113
>>
>>59335126
I wish they would bring back having thread-unique IDs
>>
WOBBLY WINDOWS

WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE
>>
I'm getting tired of microsofts bullshit in 10.

what is the best linux alternative for someone who has been a lifelong windows user?
>>
>>59336397
Probably a fork of Ubuntu without the Amazon adware shit (do they still do this?), Mint, or Manjaro
>>
>>59336820
>Probably a fork of Ubuntu without the Amazon adware shit (do they still do this?)
Not anymore. I think only "mainline" ubuntu (that is, the one with unity) ever did, and kubuntu, xubuntu, etc never had it.

and I'd second a *buntu choice for your first distro. A lot of Linux people look down on ubuntu for some good and some not so good reasons, but none of those reasons really matter to you. And ubuntu is pretty much the best at out-of-the-box desktop experience.

Stay away from mint, though, shit security.
>>
>>59336863
Any *buntu other than the stock Ubuntu also has shit security since they don't even come with Apparmor like regular Ubuntu.
>>
>>59336863
Yeah I meant that Ubuntu had ads, and to use a fork without that stuff present. Why does Mint have bad security?
>>
>>59336926
Poor patching practices. If you're a Linux distro, you have basically two options as far as security goes. One is to release new versions of shit quickly, so when there's a problem that upstream finds out about and fixes, you'll be giving users that new upstream version quickly. The rolling-release distros take this option. Option two is to make a stable distribution and then keep track of security problems as they come to light, and backport them to the versions of stuff you shipped. This avoids the downside of fast releases, which is that sometimes stuff breaks, but it means you have to do the backporting work, and still accept some small risk that patches might cause problems. Debian works on this model.

Mint's problem is that they have a history of wanting to have it both ways. They want to ship something, and then either not do the work to patch it, or avoid patching it out of fear of breaking something. (I think the default setting in their update app is actually called "Don't break my computer!") This is bad, because the last thing you want to do is discourage people from patching. If your patches are breaking things to a significant extent, that's a symptom that you've made serious technical errors in building your distro.

There's also the fact that they let their website get hacked one time. One of the Mint ISOs was replaced with a modified one that had malware on it.

>>59336916
You're being misleading because apparmor is a very different thing. That and other mandatory access control things like SELinux are defense-in-depth security. They're there to put a roadblock in front of an attacker that has already gotten in to stop him from doing more damage. They're good to have, but they're nowhere near as important as good patching practice. Ubuntu without MAC is still way ahead of Mint, just by virtue of the Ubuntu security and patch team being something resembling competent, unlike Mint's.
>>
>>59329765
It just werks in a way that Windows never does. New version of Windows comes out? Enjoy constant blue screens for months until they fix the problem.
New version of any distro comes out? There's almost never any instability, and any instability can typically be fixed by changing a line or two in a config file.
>>
so 400lb nerd virgins on a chinese cartoon forum will think i'm cool.
>>
>>59329765
I know it better than Windows.
>>
OP here, I was asking you why you're using Linux, the kernel, not GNU/Linux.
>>
- less malware
- I can install and remove whatever I want
- updates through the command line
- VMware, MPV, Chrome, Atom, Dropbox, and a shit-ton of other software works with it with little to no configuration
- Windows screen tearing with a Skylake CPU and Intel graphics is really fucking annoying
- no drivers to install in my case
- tons of options for desktop environments, icons
- better filesystem (/home/user rather than C:\Users\user\)
- Transferrable Linux knowledge is helpful at work (Security Engineer)
- Generally smoother than Windows and easier to debug and fix
need I say more?
>>
>>59337179
On one of my machines I have the windows insider program running and can say that I have not had a blue screen once in 1.5 years.
>>
>>59329765
because it's less hassle to use
>>
File: 158.jpg (236KB, 782x1086px) Image search: [Google]
158.jpg
236KB, 782x1086px
Bump
>>
>>59329765
Because back in the day, windows didn't have a way to have directories on seperate partitions. That's what got me using Linux.
>>
>>59339818
Who is this chicken licker?
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.